3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

once high idle is installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool once high idle is installed

once the dealership installs the high idle how do I engage the high idle ? What are the benefits of havin this program and should I need this in south Texas ? Thanks Marko

P.S. I found the sweet spot for mpg in 6 gear 65mph I'm getting 17.5 most I've seen I'm not sure if the truck console is accurate but if soo that sweet for a 6.7!!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 AM

To engage high idle, put the truck in park (or equivalent for manual). Turn on the cruise control and then press "Set". RPM will jump to 1100. Use the right-side cruise buttons to raise the high idle up to max 1500. High idle disengages when the brake is pressed.

Note: Turn on the EB to warm the engine more quickly.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM

did you ground the proper wire too?

here is a cut and paste from one of my other posts. you don't need any extra parts for the high idle on the manual tranny. just do what i stated below and it will work.

"i have written about it many times on several sites. here are instructions and a link....

you don't need any extra parts to enable the high idle on a manual trans!! i did mine and have posted how to do it before (on other forums). you need to have the dealer enable it, just like on the auto trans. the only other step is to ground the one wire. the wire is located on the firewall. driver side, far left bottom firewall. basically if you go staight back from the emergency brake handle to the firewall, you'll see a large wire harness, white in color. you can unhook that harness, and behind it there is a very short (4 inches maybe) dark green wire coming through the firewall. the wire has a heatshrink cap on the end. strip the end of the wire and ground it to one of the two bolts next to the harness. that's it! let me know if you need more info. you'll need your flashlight to see that little wire back there. that's it folks no money on any parts. that wire is for the optional clutch safety switch. it is really not needed, as the transmission has to be in neutral and the emergency brake set, in order for the high idle to activate. if you touch the brake pedal, release the emergency brake or put it in gear, the high idle will disengage."

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d.php?t=165798
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mastercaster

here is a cut and paste from one of my other posts. you don't need any extra parts for the high idle on the manual tranny. just do what i stated below and it will work.

"i have written about it many times on several sites. here are instructions and a link....

you don't need any extra parts to enable the high idle on a manual trans!! i did mine and have posted how to do it before (on other forums). you need to have the dealer enable it, just like on the auto trans. the only other step is to ground the one wire. the wire is located on the firewall. driver side, far left bottom firewall. basically if you go staight back from the emergency brake handle to the firewall, you'll see a large wire harness, white in color. you can unhook that harness, and behind it there is a very short (4 inches maybe) dark green wire coming through the firewall. the wire has a heatshrink cap on the end. strip the end of the wire and ground it to one of the two bolts next to the harness. that's it! let me know if you need more info. you'll need your flashlight to see that little wire back there. that's it folks no money on any parts. that wire is for the optional clutch safety switch. it is really not needed, as the transmission has to be in neutral and the emergency brake set, in order for the high idle to activate. if you touch the brake pedal, release the emergency brake or put it in gear, the high idle will disengage."

Is this wire on an 05 also
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 AM

If you are going to be Idle for a while go ahead and kick it up to 1100 RPM. They say that is actually more fuel efficent because of proper fuel burn than just sitting at idle.
QUOTE=Teamropinram85;1930660
"Note: Turn on the EB to warm the engine more quickly"
Warm up is way quicker with the EB on and High Idle active.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM

i am pretty certain on the 5.9 you have to ground port #22 on the ecm, then have the dealer turn on the high idle feature. easy enough to do. try a search on here for it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by mastercaster

Your link doesn't work.

Do you have any pictures? I'm a visual guy.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 PM

try this link. it is just to one of the threads about the high idle in which i posted what was above. i didn't take any pictures. it is really much easier than it sounds. you can have that wire grounded in 10-15 minutes. then just ge tthe dealer to enable the feature.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=165798&page=2