3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Just a couple of emmisions-deleting questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple of emmisions-deleting questions...

So, I have searched briefly, but didnt find what I needed exactly.

What I want to know is: is the SMARTY completely undetectable by Dodge if the truck needed a warranty service after the DPF removal?

What I am saying here is that I would like to get a 6.7, but would remove a lot of the DPF stuff and drive it without it. Form what I understand, the SMARTY tricks the truck into thinking the stuff is there when its not.

And if there is a problem with the truck, then I can hook the DPF stuff back up and remove the SMARTY, right? Is it really this simple? Same program goes for when the smog date comes up-I can hook the stuff back up and take it in, right?

Also, do you guys think that when they SMOG diesels that it will be the same program as smogging gasoline vehicles is? What I mean by that is the time specifically in between SMOGs. With gas vehicles that are 2004 and over I think that you wait 6 years to get a smog instead of two.

If anyone can tell me, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need to get a very early 09 or an 08 and or a used 07.5 model year. Smarty will not work on any 09 truck built after March 09. Dodge and Cummins have programed the ECM in such a way as to lock out the Smarty. I do not know about the other programmers, if they will work or not. See Smarty's home page for further information.
http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AvmeswW...artypower.com/
Also there has been discussion on here and other forums that Smarty will leave a foot print behind on the ECM for the 6.7L Engine. If you choose to put on a Smarty the truck then you are your own warranty department. My $0.02
Hope this helps you?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a fact that no uploader is undetectable with the current 6.7 ECM's. Your theory is correct if the dealer isn't on a witch hunt when you take the truck in. I have gone back to the dealer without any problems, but I have not deleted any components yet, just the S-67.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Good questions as this is my particular plan as well. Not 100% risk free, but a safe one I think. At this point, I'm where Lil Dog is in that my deletes are waiting for me, have the S67 installed, and wonder about the SMOG laws.

I can certainly manage change-overs every 2 years for smog or otherwise for dealer work.

I don't plan on going crazy, just the essentials that can be put back in the easiest manner and yet get good results for having them gone.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
as i understand it any new smog tests will be through the vehicles computer, no physical test will be done.... if any of the sensors fail the test you won't pass...........but that all depends on what state is doing the test!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't that what the OBDII does? Then if you don't have a CEL you should be good. That would be nice.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Related Question-
Do you think that this prevention in the new ECM's is something that Dodge may program into my 2007 ECM at some point down the road (say, if my truck was in for service and there was an update available)?

I'm on the fence about getting a Smarty, simply because I can't figure this question out. I would hate to buy one and then find out that my ECM had an update that locked it out like on the new trucks.

I didn't find info regarding this on Smarty's web page.

Originally Posted by Jim W
You will need to get a very early 09 or an 08 and or a used 07.5 model year. Smarty will not work on any 09 truck built after March 09. Dodge and Cummins have programed the ECM in such a way as to lock out the Smarty.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 PM

More related questions,

I am also on fence about ordering smarty and delting egr and dpf. The truck is a '07 6.7 bone stock with manual trans. Not out to hot rod but cant afford all the days lost due to shop time on egr / emissions stuff (I am on foot as we speak).

I would like to know:
1. does pre March 2009 ECM work with smarty S67ME regardless of flash installed?
2. Any one with 100% success ? James at Rollin Smoke Deisel says "Code Free" but everything I read says "I had these codes" or "I had to plug this back in".

I am in area with no emission test's so thats not issue. Just want truck I can run without lots of shop time (even though warranted it's still cost's me a day to not have truck). Also need to be able to idle engine longer than 10 minutes(its either way hot in the field or way cold).

Not trying to hijack thread, just looking for same info.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Once you get your choice of truck narrowed-down, check with the service departments of the dealerships you're working with. Sometimes they'll look the other way on mods, especially if you bought the truck from them (my dealer said "just be sure to put it back to stock before you bring it in so it doesn't mess with our diagnostics").