3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fumoto Drain Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fumoto Drain Valve Question

I've had a Fumoto oil drain valve installed on my truck for a long time and really appreciate how easy and clean it has made oil changes. However, I read on another forum that these valves leave about 1 qt of old oil in the sump because the threads extend into the pan and prevent complete drainage.

One of the respondents on that forum claimed that it is necessary to drill small holes in the threaded portion of the valve in order to allow full drainage. Any thoughts?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM

I have one also! Believe it does leave a bit more oil in the pan than not having the Fumoto, but.....
I discovered several yrs ago, the oil pan, without a Fumoto, does not drain completely either... (at least mine does not).

I experimented with a qt of cheap, new 50 wt oil and poured it through the system, after used oil drained and before closing the drain plug.
My oil change stayed clear and new looking for 400 miles!! With Fumoto it takes one plus qts of new oil before closing drain.
After pouring it in, you can actually see the color change coming out!

Some won't want to bother or spend extra but I do!
It is very nice to get all the old out before adding new, since I plan on owning this CTD till one of us dies.
And a clean, hard to read, dip stick is fun for a few hundred miles! Your choice!

RJ
Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One out of 11 or 12 quarts isn't anything to worry about as long as you're doing regular oil changes.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Just shake the truck and make the oil splash and you will get more out...

Seriously though, I have a Fumoto but never thought about this. Can you drill holes without damaging the threads?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Just shake the truck and make the oil splash and you will get more out...

Seriously though, I have a Fumoto but never thought about this. Can you drill holes without damaging the threads?
LOL...good idea. Maybe I can get a few burly guys together and we can tip the truck front-back and side-side. Seriously, though, I read a thread on the RV.net forum where a guy did drill holes in the threaded portion. I guess you risk damaging the threads but evidently it can be done if done correctly. I'm not sure I'd try it unless I had in my possession a die with the right threads to repair any damage done.

I like the idea of pouring a couple of quarts of cheap oil
in the filler to flush the old stuff out. Some (OK, MOST) of you guys are really smart .
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mr. ed
....I like the idea of pouring a couple of quarts of cheap oil
in the filler to flush the old stuff out.
Also flushes the used oil that sits on top of the head and doesn't drain down into the sump!
Great idea, IMO, for members that don't drive their CTD's much and only change once or twice a yr.

RJ
Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mr. ed
LOL...good idea. Maybe I can get a few burly guys together and we can tip the truck front-back and side-side.
Not needed......just put the truck in "PARK" or "Reverse" (if manual transmission) and rock the truck back and forth.......you'll get a decent amount of extra oil to slosh out of the engine.

I generally change my oil after my commute home from work....that 57 mile trip generally gets it draining extremely well. At times I have been known to leave the truck running with the high idle engaged whilst I gather up my drain pan and other tools.

Greg
Old 07-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Is there a "Cheap" oil rated for our diesel engines? I wouldn't want to just pour some regular junk Quaker State in there....
Old 07-07-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quart? I would say maybe 1/2 cup. Next time you change it, when the oil stops dripping, just pull the Fumoto and see what comes out.

Larry