3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Question about Fumoto valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Fumoto valve

Ok so there was a thread not long ago about the Fumoto valve. I and a few others were worried about the valve getting hung and breaking off. I remember AH46ID said something about the valve being tucked behind the axle when you guys use leveling kits. I am about to install a 4.5in Revtek Suspension lift. My question is when you guys llift your truck did this make it so the valve was nice and covered by the axe rather then hanging down so low? I am thinking about adding one to my Genos order.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:43 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a leveling kit. I highly recommend the fumoto... what a labor/mess saver! It just takes a long time to completely drain now though.

Mine is very well tucked and it really doesn't hang that low. I've had it for a long time now and no issues at all. I think if you were in a situation where that valve might actually get hit, you've got some bigger worries anyway.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM

How long do you say it takes to drain the oil with it installed? Does it allow all the oil to drain ro do the threads stick up off the bottom of the pan making some of the oil not able to come out when you open the valve? Also nipple or no nipple? I can see where having the nipple would be nice to take oil samples, but then again for paranoid guys like me worried about it hitting that could be the differance in contact with the ground and not...
Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
How long do you say it takes to drain the oil with it installed? Does it allow all the oil to drain ro do the threads stick up off the bottom of the pan making some of the oil not able to come out when you open the valve? Also nipple or no nipple? I can see where having the nipple would be nice to take oil samples, but then again for paranoid guys like me worried about it hitting that could be the differance in contact with the ground and not...

I'm not familiar with the drain you mention (yes - I could look it up, but it's my weekend ). I have been happy with this one - the drain tube is only connected when you want to drain (or get sample)....

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....-DP-18MMPLA-DG
Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Yea I don't like that one becasue you have o purchase the tube seperate and if you loose it you got to buy another. And it is double of the Fumoto.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=FTP-F104N-A
Old 03-13-2010, 02:06 PM

This is a great idea and I was wanting to get one. But I just can't take a chance. I drive 80% hwy 10% towing, 10%offroad and brush. I just can't be comfortable knowing that it can be opened by just a little lever lock. I drive over alot of brush so I decided not to get it.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM

I am not worried as much about the lever as I am it hanging when I am offroad at the deerlease. We got some pretty big ruts. As long as when I lift the truck the axle will cover it I will be ok, but right now it sits lower or even with the axle so it is a no go for me as of right now.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 PM

I had 1 of these http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....-DP-18MMPLA-DG installed in my car's oil pan.. It was made by fram. It takes a long time for all the oil to drain. I removed it from my car. They should have made the fumoto valve with a cap on the end incase, the valve somehow got open the oil wouldn't drain out
Old 03-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
It has a snap ring, and they offer a clamp to make sure it's not going to come open.

I have also debated getting one or not for that reason. I wonder if the quick connect fittings and a hose would work better.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:30 PM

I've run both of the ones mentioned in this thread and never had an issue with either of them. The EZ Drain valve is nice as long as you can find the tube that you need to use it. I have NO leveling or lift kit and I feel very secure with how the Fumoto is positioned. It would really take a lot to cause any damage to it or to open it on accident. I really think you guys are worrying too much about it......

I do, however, keep a small section of fuel line on the nipple of the Fumoto and I have a fat bolt shoved in the end of it to keep any oil from coming out of it. Of course, if there is something that can get up there and open the valve then it will probably rip my hose off there first....
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one. However, i have scraped the bottom of my oil pan a few times when I went off road ( not rock climbing, just getting through some washouts at the ranch). So, I've never installed it.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with just a leveling kit it valve is protected by the axle. I posted pics in that thread you're probably thinking of.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:22 PM

If you're worried about scraping the oil pan, you should really consider a skid plate. If you hit the stock drain plug on a rock, it will leak out pretty fast.

I'v used the Fumoto on a number of vehicles, including the Cummins. I'v never had one come loose or fail. The drain out almost as fast as removing the factory drain plug, and a lot faster than the Fram. I use a 3/8" clear plastic hose from Home Depot and drain it directly into a gallon jug so I can take it to the recylcers.

The oil should always be at least warm (if not hot) when you drain it.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by .boB
If you're worried about scraping the oil pan, you should really consider a skid plate. If you hit the stock drain plug on a rock, it will leak out pretty fast.

I'v used the Fumoto on a number of vehicles, including the Cummins. I'v never had one come loose or fail. The drain out almost as fast as removing the factory drain plug, and a lot faster than the Fram. I use a 3/8" clear plastic hose from Home Depot and drain it directly into a gallon jug so I can take it to the recylcers.

The oil should always be at least warm (if not hot) when you drain it.
Good point.....I have now installed a skid plate under my oil pan.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Has anyone tested how high the threads stick up in the oil pan? I'm curious the fumoto leaves any oil in the bottom of the pan.

Quick Reply: Question about Fumoto valve