3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fumoto oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:57 AM
HOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fumoto oil drain plug

I've always had a hard time catching the oil from my diesel oil changes because there's so much of it and it comes out so fast. More than once I've had to get out the degreaser and hose on my driveway.

I installed the Fumoto oil drain valve last oil change and tried it out yesterday... holy moly does this thing work as advertised. Controls the rate of flow, easy aiming, and no-mess, no tools draining. Highly recommended product. I do keep the stock drain plug in the truck however, just in case the Fumoto breaks off some day when I high-center a load of bricks.

On another note, those Cummins engineers must know what the heck they're doing... 12 quarts of oil is a perfect use of diesel engine oil that always comes packaged in 1-gallon containers. My Duramax used 10 quarts of oil, hence I always had a half-full gallon of oil sitting around, and I'd have to estimate and measure and worry if I got it right. One time I completely lost track of how much oil I put in and had to hire a fifth grader to help me calculate how much oil I had left to add.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats nice about the fumoto is that you can drain oil when the engines still warm so the viscosity of the engine oil helps get it out faster.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

the reason for doing oil changes when warm is not for the ease of draining due to the viscosity, but when the engine has been run and the oil is up to temp, all the particles of contamination are in suspension and will be drained out with the oil.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM

I like mine too....... I had an EZ Drain Plug on the 03 and liked it equally as well.....
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

I just put my fumoto on last week, gonna be nice not making a mess of me and the driveway when 3 gallons of hot oil come out of the large hole really quickly.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by HOV
On another note, those Cummins engineers must know what the heck they're doing... 12 quarts of oil is a perfect use of diesel engine oil that always comes packaged in 1-gallon containers. My Duramax used 10 quarts of oil, hence I always had a half-full gallon of oil sitting around, and I'd have to estimate and measure and worry if I got it right. One time I completely lost track of how much oil I put in and had to hire a fifth grader to help me calculate how much oil I had left to add.
I am pretty sure that the Cummins gurus recommend a quart under 3 gal. Am I right or wrong?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Three gallons is what I always put in....
Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 PM
HOV

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I am pretty sure that the Cummins gurus recommend a quart under 3 gal. Am I right or wrong?
The owner's manual says 11 quarts in the crankcase and 1 in the filter, so that's 12 total. I just fill up the filer 3/4 of the way up after letting it soak in a few rounds, then pour the rest of the 3 gallons into the crankcase.

I'm always super paranoid about getting measurements right, so I always check with the dipstick once the truck has been started and the oil is settled back down again. 12 quarts gets the level right in the middle of "safe".

Seems like the dipstick works better upside down...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
I just put my fumoto on last week, gonna be nice not making a mess of me and the driveway when 3 gallons of hot oil come out of the large hole really quickly.
Yeah-- X2!

Gotta get me one of those... had a similar thing on my Escalade and worked great... Have not done it yet on the CTD and I have paid...
Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 PM

Where can you get one of these here gadgets?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 PM

I just looked, Geno's has a couple different "EZ" drain plugs, but nothing labeled as a Fumoto. Curious to see if/what the difference is. W0000! more researching to do on work time tomorrow
Old 06-09-2007, 04:43 AM

Genos has both. I got the Fumoto with the nipple and I keep a piece of rubber fuel line with a bolt on the end on it just in case the switch got hit by something and opened up on accident. Probably a million to one shot of something like that happening but.....
Old 06-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

Geno's carries it but just go to www.fumoto.com and get it from them. I had one on my old '97 PSD and need to get one for my Dodge. Makes oil changes easier, now if I can only get the blankety-blank oil filter off easy I would be happy.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Geno's has them

Thanks for the information! Found them on Geno's website as well.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 AM

That is cool, I got to get one of those. A crappy oil change is on my wife's Yukon. It ha the 6.0. The drain plug faces rearward right at an exhaust pipe. Oil streams right to the pipe and spreads all over. It is like a practical joke.

Thanx.

Quick Reply: Fumoto oil drain plug