3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

4 Wheel Low Lamp Flashes While Driving and Noise from Front

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Wheel Low Lamp Flashes While Driving and Noise from Front

I just bought a 2010 Laramie Duelly with 6.7 completely loaded last week. The 4 wheel low lamp flashes even when the transfer case is in 2wd. I can also hear a popping noise from the front like the truck is trying to shift into four wheel drive. This does not occur every time but sometimes it feel like it's engaging as I can feel something in the steering. I brought it to the dealer and they called "STAR"(?) who told them to check a connector for water. They did and found no water but cleaned the terminals and told me truck was done. I picked the truck up and not two minutes later the light starts flashing accompanied by a stronger jolt as if 4wd had engaged. The truck is back at the dealer now and I haven't heard from them. Also it seems like it happens more often when I go over 40MPH. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 PM

So the dealer called me today. They said that it was indeed shifting into 4wd all by itself. They have been talking to STAR but my customer service rep has now opened a case directly with Chrysler to see what they want to do. All circuits check out and everything STAR asked the techs to check out came back OK. I'm really bummed. I bought it with 4 miles on the odometer last Tuesday.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:34 AM

I've had this happen to me a couple times and both times it was after I left the automatic car wash. I pulled the electrical connection on side of transfer case and cleaned and filled with some dielectric grease and this seems to have solved the problem. You might give that a shot and see if that corrects the problem. Keep us updated.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
It sucks to have bugs in a brand new vehicle, but keep in mind that every manufacturer has em. It may be something simple as the txfrmd just stated.

Look on the bright side, it might be a minor flaw, but you sure have a nice truck!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. They checked the connector for water but found none. I wonder if there is a way to seal that up so water doesn't get in there. Seems like a week point. I scoured the web friday night and was able to find the following thread which describes exactly what has been happening to my truck. I couldn't have described it better myself. The only difference is that it is a 2005 Durango. In his case it was the transfer case shift motor. There was another guy that had the same issue but also with a Durango. I phoned my CS rep at the dealer ship and left him a VM as they are not open on Saturday's.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-...e-light-2.html

We'll see what they say on monday.

I know that you are not suppose to drive in 4wd on dry pavement. My concern is what else could have been damaged due to this issue, or is it not very probable that other components were damaged? I've been on the freeway a few times but mostly just back and forth to work on city streets.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:55 PM

So the dealer called and said they were going to replace the transfer case shift motor to see if that would work. Basically they're going by the thread above because neither the STAR techs nor Chrysler are getting back to them. That really sucks. I sure hope this is a fluke. They've had my truck longer than I have. If this doesn't fix it I'm going to pursue lemon law options.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 PM

Got My Smile Back!

It WORKED! Wahoo! They changed the transfer case shift motor and the problem went away. Everyone take note of that fix so you're not waiting around for nearly two weeks while the techs try to figure it out if it happens to you. I don't think they have that documented anywhere. Had I not forwarded the dealership the info I did I would still be waiting for my truck. Anyway I drove it about 30 miles and no re-occurrences of the problem. I got my smile back! Awesome truck. I wish I could figure out how to upload a picture of the beast. She's a beauty!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Good deal, glad to see that a dealer is working with you and that they are taking outside information into consideration when trouble shooting a problem.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Update!

The 4wlo light has not come on since the fix 150 miles ago. So that's good. But something strange happened on my way home today. As I came to a stop I felt a shutter. I thought it was the engine so I turned the radio off so I could concentrate and sure enough it did it again at the next stop. I was able to make it repeat a few miles down the road and in my drive way. It seems that gradually depressing the brake pedal will cause it to shutter as the truck is nearing a complete stop. It just started on my way home today. Anyone ever had that happen to them in this situation?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 AM

It hasn't done the shuttering thing in a while so I don't know what that was all about. It's driving very well these last couple of weeks. I'll be leaving on vacation this friday on 3k mile trip so hopefully it will be fun and free of issues. If that's the case I think my comfort level with the truck will be restored.