2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

FLASHING LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLASHING LIGHTS

Parked my truck for 5 days. Had no problems before. Now, air bag dash light comes on with beeping. Comes on & goes off for awhile whenever it wants. There are 2 fuses on side of dash with extra clamps. Cant get them all the way out as I dont want to break it. Anyone ever had this problem & how did you fix it? Thanks for any input. [undecided]
Old 07-14-2003, 10:00 PM

FLASHING LIGHTS

Somebody has had to have thru this before. HELP ME!!! HELP ME!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:56 PM

Re: FLASHING LIGHTS

I changed the subject title again. Maybe someone will notice. Help me!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 PM

do you where ur seat belt is the beeping the same thing as the seat belt chime. I have seen on some vehicle where these are connected. also have ur batteries checked i have seen batteries with shorted sells do weird things like that. and last but not least get somone to check and see if there are any airbag codes in the computer.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure, but I have heard there is a clock spring issue in some trucks which causes cut wires in the steering wheel/column. This could be the problem. There is a TSB on it and a recall, I think.<br>Search the forums on Clock Spring. I saw a thread about it a couple of weeks ago.<br><br><br>Chris
Old 07-18-2003, 09:52 PM

bad habit<br><br>i agree with df i would get someone to run a diag on the inst panel or the air bag system.i have had to replace my inst cluster already so am int in hearing what you find out. ;D
Old 07-27-2003, 10:06 PM

Now my brake lights are out to. I will pull the steering wheel in the morning and look for cut wires and broke things. Thanks guys and I will let you know what I find.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:22 PM

Here's the clockspring thing I spoke of before. I don't know if it applies here, but here goes:<br>https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=14260;start=0<br><br>The TSB mentioned:<br>http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/08-010-01.htm<br><br>Chris
Old 07-28-2003, 01:41 PM

My brake lights went out about a month ago. It turned out to be a cut wire under the dash. I spent at least 3 days chaseing that one down. If you need any info on the brake lights, let me know, I know a good bit about that system now.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:09 PM

Clock spring was screwed up &amp; starting to break. A few months back when the track bar broke &amp; put me in a ditch on a culvert &amp; broke the steering box. The steering wheel would spin freely. This is a no no . Part cost $52+ tax. BUT. Tried to pull the steering wheel the old way, knees under the wheel pulling &amp; strike the shaft &amp; nut whith a good hammer. Has always worked for me for 25 yrs. NOT TODAY. Now the steering shaft is loose and wobbles in all dirrections. Does anyone know what i broke &amp; how to fit it. I cannot get into many different positions to look due to quack doctor &amp; 2 back sugerys in the last 6 weeks. What did I knock out of whack. &gt;
Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 PM

I know about the back. Former ruptured disk here. :'(<br>Did you try to tighten it back down? This may reseat the bearings in the column as that's what sounds like is loose.<br>Torque spec is 45 ft lbs.<br>Can you get a hold of a steering wheel puller? Autozone may lend you one for free as I have heard they loan specialty tools.<br><br>Chris<br>
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 AM

I used a harmonic balance puller. Worked like a champ. Have not tried to tighten wheel yet . Still have to pick up clock spring tomorrow.Already thought about the bearing thing, but cannot see what it would tighten up against to pull the skack. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those fuses with the special holder... pull them to the out position and the top of the holder opens up (sideways) to remove the fuse. The holder stays in the fuse panel.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:11 PM
yz

same thing with my clock spring. Dodge replaced a cover on the back and that's what started it all. the steering shaft in the steering column droped down and pushed the clip out of place. The shaft has a smaller thickness on top then where the shaft and bearing meet. So when it droped down there was play in the steering wheel and the play is what killed my clock spring.
Just letting you know maybe check the steering shaft like i said. Or the steering column. Never had my lights mess up but it did mess up my cruise control and air bag. Then it would just set off my horn and then would blow the fuse which would stop the horn but then i had no cold air :'( and it has been hot here. I was not happy. Nor were the other drivers that were near me when the horn went off. that was something. Good luck and hope some of this helps -Anthony
Old 07-30-2003, 08:01 AM

I still have to buy the clock spring. But, I went to school with the diesel mechanic at the dodge dealer. He had a steering colum just hanging around in his garage at home. Gave it to me for free. ;D Now if my back will let me,I will install it and then drive to his house in my truck and deliver a bottle of crown royal. p.s. While at the dealer, I drove a 01 2500 4x4 5 speed 52000 miles just for fun. Stock tires. The steering was as tight as a new chevy. Blew my mind. :- I have spent a lot of $$$ on my front end and it still drives like crap. I will let ya'll know how the install went as soon as i can. then we'll talk about the crown royal. 8)