2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2001.5 Steering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001.5 Steering Questions

hello, new to the group. I'm in the market for Cummins. I want to get a travel trailer toy hauler and need a truck. I am really impressed with the way the Dodge drives.

I've found '1.5 in good shape: <100k mile, red, quad, auto, pretty well loaded, 2 wd. I've read the tannys are weak, but I can't find s good stick truck right now. This one shifts good. Not slip, but no load in the test drive.

One thing I've read here is the ball joints are apperntly weak on these trucks. Both the Gen 2 rucks I've driven (including this one), the sterring wheel cants a little left. The truck goes straight, doesn't pull left or right, steering is tight (really tight for a truck) and the tires are worn even. My thinking is that the steering wheel neds to be centered. But I thought I would ask.

Everything else seems like it's a nice truck......now if I can only get a the price down....and the OK from you guys

thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck and welcome!
The steering wheel most likely is just off center. BUT,I'd check things for an impact or wreck just to be safe.
When you get your truck fill in a profile and location.
The auto's are weak from the factory, but can be a great trans when built correctly. It completely makes the truck a great puller.!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Mine has the worn ball joints. Also, the wheel may favor the left a little due to the crown in the roads to aid in drainage. Its usually pitched to the right shoulder quite a bit and can affect the wheel position. Here in the pacific nw it's quite noticeable. Also, welcome to the site, it's the best one in my opinion and the members are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Last edited by SIXSLUG; 02-22-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM

I've had a few motorcycle tires wear on the left side that has been attributed to the crown on the road. The tires on this truck are worn even, left to right. The truck goes straight & steering is tight, ride is good. The steering wheel is canted about 20 degrees left (sets at 2 & 8 o'clock rather than 3 & 9). For most cars, I would just assume it was aligned but didn't have the steering wheel centered (kind of a peeve of mine).

I really don't know what to look for due to worn ball joints.

It looks clean, the bed isn't really beat up other than the hole cut into it for a goose neck.

Is there any test for the tranny? It shifts good, got it to 75-80 in hiway.

Originally Posted by kurtaing
Mine has the worn ball joints. Also, the wheel may favor the left a little due to the crown in the roads to aid in drainage. Its usually pitched to the right shoulder quite a bit and can affect the wheel position. Here in the pacific nw it's quite noticeable. Also, welcome to the site, it's the best one in my opinion and the members are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
If the ball joints are worn, you should be able to feel it with the steering wheel when sitting still. Check the tranny fuild. Is it dark, dirty and smell burned? Or is it red and cleen? Check this things when it's hot after a test drive. Those should be good indicators as to the condition of the tranny.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM

JPR, what does it feel like if your ball joints are bad?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 PM

thanks for the info. In regrard to ball joints, you'e saying if you feel play or looseness in the steering when sitting still that it might be the ball joints? OK, steering is tight.

I haven't owned an automatic in 15 years....check the fliud? duuuh! thanks, yes I should know that!

thanks again

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
If the ball joints are worn, you should be able to feel it with the steering wheel when sitting still. Check the tranny fuild. Is it dark, dirty and smell burned? Or is it red and cleen? Check this things when it's hot after a test drive. Those should be good indicators as to the condition of the tranny.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by jkap
JPR, what does it feel like if your ball joints are bad?
well, you'll feel loosness and play. Now that doesnt neccessarally mean it'll be the ball joints. It could be them or the steering box or ????. Once you notice too much play, you've gotta get dirty. Climb under and start checking every thing to do with the steering and front suspension. I'd start at the steering colum and work down.....
Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My steering wheel was off on my 01.5 for years. When I got new rims and tires I had a 4 wheel alignment done only to find out about 500 feet out of the tire shop that the wheel was STILL the same.
I went back, left (another 500 feet) same thing, if I centered the wheel I'd put it in the ditch. I called them, complained, they credited my debit card, I hopped on here, got the instructions, two adjustables and two test rides later, she was straight as an arrow.

Just saying, it could very well just be OFF, mine was and I never had a inkling of uneven tire wear or driveability issues (just annoying)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Loose steering is defintitely not only from loose ball joints. If you can feel the ball joints in your steering wheel they are in very rough shape. The best way to check ball joints is to jack the wheel up, putting the jack on the axle, put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to shake the tire. If there is any movement you will see it and feel it. Also shake it side to side to check the tie rods. I don't think ball joints are overly common on our trucks, unless the miles start really adding up. I've got 205K and plowed for 2 seasons with my truck and they're still nice and tight, so are the wheel bearings. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a shop inspect it before you put any money down on it.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The steering wheel being off center, is partly a function of the front springs wearing, which, thanks to the trac bar, moves the axle in relation to the vehicle centerline. Steering in and of itself is not necessarily affected, there is merely the annoyance of having the steering wheel not quite centered. You can adjust the drag link to compensate, or put new springs in, either way, its an easy fix.

My truck also had that super cool pull to the right. Putting an adjustable track bar on helped that issue out quite a lot as well.

Just food for thought, and thinking is NOT my strong point.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 AM

What about the control arms? what effect would bad bushings have on a bad feel in the steering? I know they are not linked, but with tight steering and bad control arm bushings, what type of feeling would you get?