24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump

I just replaced my fuel pressure sender which was attached directly to my fuel filter housing because I didn't have a snubber, learned that one quickly. Well I went to get the lift pump goin by bumpin the starter enough to get that 30 seconds or so of noise that the electric lift pump is supposed to make on a failed start, and it didn't do it. So needless to say it was hell gettin that truck started without the lift pump primin for me. Truck finally got started and is running great, no loss in fuel pressure but when I attempt to bump it to get that lift pump goin, it still doesn't do it. Is my pump on its way out? Or maybe its already dead?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BE CAREFUL.

The price of a lift pump is about 10% of the cost of a new IP.

If you don't know the history of the LP assume it is toast at this point.

What kind of pressure are you seeing?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM

If you have good fuel pressure at idel and under WOT, there is nothing wrong with the lift pump.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Thats what is confusing me, the LP has never been replaced and I have 140,000 miles on it, but I'm still gettin 10-12 at idle and 3-5 WOT. She's still runnin good and startin right up with no problems. I'm taken a 1100 mile trip in a few days with a trailer so anyone have any ideas on how I could make sure my lift pump is healthy or if its goin out? Its almost worth buy another and replacin it just in case.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
P.J
Banned

I'll tell you how you can make sure it is healthy, replace it.

At the very least buy one and take it with you on the trip.

3-5 at WOT with your mods isn't all that sporty in my opinion. I'd like to see more like a min. of 10psi.

You might consider a Vulcan relo/big line kit. Worked wonders on my 01. Plus, puts the LP down where it is away from heat & vibration and is EASY to get to.
A stock LP on my truck showed 15.5 at idle and couldn't be drug below 12.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 PM

I've been seein those numbers for the last couple years so I never thought anything of it, maybe my lp has been on its last leg for a while. I think I'll definitely pick up another one and just replace it before the trip. How was that vulcan line setup to install?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:29 PM
P.J
Banned

A breeze. My brother and I did it in about an hour or so (matter of fact it was this week three years ago). The kit has come a long way since then, better quality fittings and hose, a special fuel pressure tap fitting.

It's just a nice kit, decent for those people who want to upgrade their system without going all out spending a fortune.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:20 PM

Got a new Carter lp along with some new ball joints in today and what a difference. Fuel pressure gauge went right up to 15 at idle, I haven't seen numbers like that at all with this truck so it makes me wonder how long my lift pump has limped along. So that will get me through the holidays, now I just gotta order that Vulcan kit, thanks for the help.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Trumm
Got a new Carter lp along with some new ball joints in today and what a difference. Fuel pressure gauge went right up to 15 at idle, I haven't seen numbers like that at all with this truck so it makes me wonder how long my lift pump has limped along. So that will get me through the holidays, now I just gotta order that Vulcan kit, thanks for the help.
No problem. It's a comforting feeling to see that gauge up there in the middle where it belongs.

As long as you had pressure, you should be fine. Remember, pressure is a measure of resistance, meaning you pretty much ALWAYS had fuel at the VP-44.