24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

installing pyro sensor post turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing pyro sensor post turbo

I still have not figured out how to use the system, soooo if I could get some info on installing the Pyro Sensor I would be thankful. What I have planned is to just drill and tap into the elbow just downstream of the turbo but before the exhaust pipe mounting flange. The angle I'm looking at will put the sensor more or less running down the throat of the the elbow and should be dead center of the Inside diameter. Not much instructions with the unit, actually none. Recieved the sensor/wireing and what looks to be a collar/bushing that can be only screwed into on one end. Maybe this piece is for welding onto the exhaust pipe it self just below the flange. ??? Any comments, <br><br>Thanks,<br>Gene007<br>WarWagon
Old 06-20-2003, 08:17 PM

Re:installing pyro sensor post turbo

Thanks Gary, I had thought about putting mine the way you have yours. I will be installing a turbo-master boost controller, so the turbo will be coming off anyway but I don't believe I will put the probe pre-turbo. A little chicken. <br><br>thanks again, <br>Gene007<br>WarWagon
Old 06-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the instructions from TST<br><br>http://www.tstproducts.com/gauge_install.html
Old 06-20-2003, 10:41 PM

Gene007,<br><br>sorry I cant help. :'(<br><br>But I did have a question. This is going to sound stupid But... Why do some people mount it pre-turbo, while others mount it post-turbo. <br><br>Dave
Old 06-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=Maverick2001 link=board=4;threadid=16152;start=0#151745 date=1056166862]<br>Gene007,<br><br>sorry I cant help. :'(<br><br>But I did have a question. This is going to sound stupid But... Why do some people mount it pre-turbo, while others mount it post-turbo. <br><br>Dave<br>[/quote]<br><br>The fear of drilling a perfectly good manifold. But, like it or not. This is the only way to get a true accurate reading.<br><br>IMO..the post turbo reading is only good for turbo cooldowns. At times..the temp pre and post can vary 300-400 degrees at any given time.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:44 AM

If you want to know how your engine is running the pyro must be pre turbo, otherwise you are just guessing what is really happening. Mounting the pyro post turbo is like mounting you auto temp gauge in the pan of the trans it is of little to no use at all.<br>Bruce
Old 06-22-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is true that post turbo readings are less accurate under most conditions however &quot;all&quot; commercial trucks mount the probes post turbo and have run that way for over 40 years. Two reasons for this, the exhaust manifold on a work truck is subjected to more consistant heat stress while pulling under load and will crack regardless of mounting location and the fact that probes have been known to disintegrate and go through the turbo taking it with them. Cat is infamous for burning out the center section of the manifolds and Cummins &quot;pulse manifolds&quot; crack on the back side of the center section where the heat Y's together. For the race enthuesiest the pre-turbo method is preferred for quick accurate readings to prevent engine melt down. My truck is always used for pulling loads so I mount down stream and have lost parts of my probes ending up only in the muffler. On large trucks anything post turbo under 1000F is acceptable for extended periods of operating with the exception of older Mack's where they would allow up to 1200F (Maxidyne Engines). My 91 had seen 1200+ post turbo which is approaching melt down, tell tale signs of excessive heat are a blue exhaust manifold and exhaust turbo housing. These trucks are very forgiving but one must realize the difference between intermittent high heat (racing) and continous maintained heat (pulling). PK
Old 06-22-2003, 10:11 AM

Good points Mr. Kennedy. Are you getting wet there yet?
Old 06-22-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was yesterday, today we are having Vancouver sunshine wearing my bearskin in June.