1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Where to go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go from here?

Got some pump tweaks and a 3200 spring on my 93 and the dyno was up to 205 hp from 161 and 475 trq from 368. Huge difference for minimal price. Old smokey was sticking so had to use the pin that was in it, not sure if it was the pump or the pin. Now im figuring where to go next, I got some ideas, but man, I drove a 94 this morning with 500hp and that was fun. I love my 93 but i(feel like a traitor even saying this) found a 97 club cab 5spd 4x4 (125k) that i could afford if i sell my 93.Seems as though the 2nd gen is able to handle lots of power stock if you choose to go that way. I hear good things about the nv4500 p7100 and availability of parts ect. Now hearing about the new fuel shrinking seals and such im pretty torn on wich way to go, I know its a personal choice, but id love to hear pros and cons from you all. Sorry for the long winded confession, thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:52 PM

Stick to the first gen, IMO it would be cheaper in the long run to bomb the first gen. Plus its just cool to have a truck that people think is slow and gutless and prove them wrong .

Here are a few suggestions for more power:

1) Upgrade the compressor housing
2) Add a set of injectors (PODs are cost effective but very smokey)
3) Port the head, the stock head from what I've seen is very inefficient at flowing (no real smooth curves)
4) Throw a cam in it
5) Piston lift pump
6) 4" exhaust system
7) Water/meth injection
8) Turn up the pump more (I'm not sure where you're at on this)

#3,4 and 7 are a little more radical than what most people do but if you got the cash and the HP hunger you might as well eh?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM

There's advantages and dis advantages both ways but the thing i like the mosts about the first gen trucks is the Bump, ARUUUUMMMMMMM

If you looking for max power the p7000 is the easiest way to get it!
but..........you might regret it. These first gen are getting harder and harder to find in worth will shape!

and the prices aren't falling in 1st or 2nt gen aether.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 PM
DBF

Every now and then I ride with my brother-in-law in his new F*rd 4door F350. It's all plush and has every convenience known to man except an outhouse. Rides nice, scurries along. Feels like I'm in an Escalade or something. Just not a truck.

I guess I'll just keep going & see if I can outlive this 92. I just love these square things that stand less than 8 feet tall and sound like trucks.

Plus, I can sit inside the engine compartment and tweak to my heart's content - try that in a second gen or one of those things with too many valves.

If I want plush, I'll buy the wife a new car and drive it now and then.

Regards, DBF
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. I agree, ive always been a glutten for old style trucks.(48 ****** pickup, 68 power wagon and a handful of others that ive had that really make you feel alive driving them.) Hopped in my gas sipper the other day and almost put the clutch through the floorboard after driving the Dodge. Im still riding the fence, the 2nd gen still felt like a real truck and i did like the way the nv4500 felt, fifth was tall and 1st was low. Hx35wg, new injectors and ts peformance gauge are next on the list for the 93 if i go with it. Please keep the comments comming.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldirt
Thanks for the replies. I agree, ive always been a glutten for old style trucks.(48 ****** pickup, 68 power wagon and a handful of others that ive had that really make you feel alive driving them.) Hopped in my gas sipper the other day and almost put the clutch through the floorboard after driving the Dodge. Im still riding the fence, the 2nd gen still felt like a real truck and i did like the way the nv4500 felt, fifth was tall and 1st was low. Hx35wg, new injectors and ts peformance gauge are next on the list for the 93 if i go with it. Please keep the comments comming.
I really like the NV4500 in my 1st gen. Maybe that is an option for you.

-Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 09:23 AM

you said you could afford the truck if you sold the 1st gen. take the asking price of that truck, subtract the selling price of the 1st gen and see what you come up with. if you come up with a # over 1-2 thousand dollars, that's a LOT of modding that could be done to your 1st gen. BUT you said you liked the feel of 500hp. there are not a ton of 500hp 1st gens out there. i believe that some are stating that it's the max for our 12mm pump head. and the 14mm is still not exactly proven for longevity yet. if the two line up pretty close i'd personally consider the swap.... but i have another 1st gen, so i wouldn't be a complete traitor!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a LOT easier and cheaper to get 500 HP out of a 2nd gen. If you want 500 HP and don't want it to be your life's work, buy the '97.

OK, now y'all can burn me in effigy.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the straight shootin Dave.