1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Well I was going to see why my brakes are leaking fluid at the right front wheel but I got a call to go fix a email database problem and I wound up spending all day on that.

I've either got a leaking connection or a bad line or caliper. I have to fill the reservoir everyday before I drive it. Got a big puddle on the driveway. I'm almost ashamed to drive it it's so dirty but I may not be able to get to it tomorrow either because of Micro$loth.

Got to get some sleep now.

Edwin
Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Well I was going to see why my brakes are leaking fluid at the right front wheel but I got a call to go fix a email database problem and I wound up spending all day on that.

I've either got a leaking connection or a bad line or caliper. I have to fill the reservoir everyday before I drive it. Got a big puddle on the driveway. I'm almost ashamed to drive it it's so dirty but I may not be able to get to it tomorrow either because of Micro$loth.

Got to get some sleep now.

Edwin
Copper washers, bad caliper seals, doubt the hose is bad, unless the loose nut behind the wheel installed it wrong, or it was made in china.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Copper washers, bad caliper seals, doubt the hose is bad, unless the loose nut behind the wheel installed it wrong, or it was made in china.

Like this
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-junk.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Like this
I was under the impression that they were actually good ships, and served their purpose well.

Who'd a thunk otherwise.

The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:26 PM

I got the wheel off and looked things over. It looked like it was leaking at the caliper. I had a lot of trouble getting the line on there so it was my immediate suspicion. I couldn't see the inner washer so I took it apart and the washer was there but it looked like the 'loose nut' let some crapola get in there. I cleaned it all up again and sprayed with brake cleaner to make sure and carefully bolted it back together. The way the line is made it bends right over the bolt to make it hard to get a socket on. I had a 1 foot extension to get the ratchet out where I could put some leverage on it and cinched it down real tight. Time will tell if it continues leaking.

I think I sweat about a gallon in this humidity so I'm waiting until tomorrow for the test drive. I have to go help my wife's boss with his Outlook 2010. Then he can buy me lunch again.

Edwin
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
I had the same problem on one caliper. I had to reuse the old copper washers that were thicker, the new ones were real thin. Had to rub the old washers on a file to clean them up.
If the problem persists, take one of the old washers to the auto parts store and try to get thicker ones. I guess they compress better? This has happened two times for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:08 AM

I got the wheel off and looked things over. It looked like it was leaking at the caliper. I had a lot of trouble getting the line on there so it was my immediate suspicion. I couldn't see the inner washer so I took it apart and the washer was there but it looked like the 'loose nut' let some crapola get in there. I cleaned it all up again and sprayed with brake cleaner to make sure and carefully bolted it back together. The way the line is made it bends right over the bolt to make it hard to get a socket on. I had a 1 foot extension to get the ratchet out where I could put some leverage on it and cinched it down real tight. Time will tell if it continues leaking.

I think I sweat about a gallon in this humidity so I'm waiting until tomorrow for the test drive. I have to go help my wife's boss with his Outlook 2010. Then he can buy me lunch again.

Edwin
Hey Edwin,

I've personally never been able to replace a brake caliper hose on our trucks without first removing the caliper from it's mount. Like you said, impossible to get any tool in there. if you take the caliper off, remove the pads, slide the caliper over the rotor, you'll be able (because the pads removed) to pivot the caliper into a clear area and install the washer, brake hose end, washer and bolt in there.

The copper washers (if not of good quality) won't compress easily, and I've had issues in the past where I've had to really torque that bolt (beyond my comfort level) to seat the washers, so it didn't leak.....again going back to the Asian boat thing....

Best of luck this time.

T.
mknittle (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 04:20 PM

Hey Edwin,

I've personally never been able to replace a brake caliper hose on our trucks without first removing the caliper from it's mount. Like you said, impossible to get any tool in there. if you take the caliper off, remove the pads, slide the caliper over the rotor, you'll be able (because the pads removed) to pivot the caliper into a clear area and install the washer, brake hose end, washer and bolt in there.

The copper washers (if not of good quality) won't compress easily, and I've had issues in the past where I've had to really torque that bolt (beyond my comfort level) to seat the washers, so it didn't leak.....again going back to the Asian boat thing....

Best of luck this time.

T.
That's a good idea! I could take the whole thing off and clamp the caliper in the vise and torque it properly. Hindsight tells me that's how I should have done it to begin with. I'll keep an eye on the fluid level in the MC to make sure. I've got a big puddle in the driveway which I have to put some Dawn on to clean it up. I'll do that when I wash the truck next. I still have ashes from all the 4th July fireworks all over it.

Edwin
Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Today, I went down to the shore, and tried to drown myself.

Fortunately, for me, there was an "all women" lifeguard thing-a-ma-jig going on, and they kept bringing me back onto the beach...

All-Women Lifeguard Tournament makes a splash at Jersey Shore (PHOTOS) | NJ.com

Dang nabbit lifeguard cuties....

They kept giving me mouth to mouth, but I was all over the place. I must have been....... disorientated.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
NJT,

You've got a lot of nerve subjecting yourself to that kind of treatment.
Oh the shame. You must be exhausted ��
nonrev (07-28-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Reinstalled my fuel tank with new Gates 3/8" diesel rated hose running between the tank and the lift pump. Also, installed new diaphragm lift pump, bled out the air and man is nice to have her start immediately without running rough and spewing white smoke.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diesel_Dawg:
mknittle (07-27-2017), nonrev (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
took my rusted to death muffler off. not quite ready to drop $100 on a new on, so I added a piece of straight pipe. Not sure if it's too loud yet....but it sounds good. Surprised my Uncle didn't do this when the muffler died last time, he liked loud pipes.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
took my rusted to death muffler off. not quite ready to drop $100 on a new on, so I added a piece of straight pipe. Not sure if it's too loud yet....but it sounds good. Surprised my Uncle didn't do this when the muffler died last time, he liked loud pipes.
I thought that's how they came from the factory. Mine has a straight pipe on it and that's the way I got it in TX. It's not bad and I like the sound of the turbo bouncing off the wall when I have the right window open.
mknittle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
I thought that's how they came from the factory. Mine has a straight pipe on it and that's the way I got it in TX. It's not bad and I like the sound of the turbo bouncing off the wall when I have the right window open.
I tried the straight pipe thing, for about two years, and that all I could take. After a couple of 10 hour drives to Utah, and listening to that drone, that was it for me. Donaldson muffler installed.

And that's coming from a guy half deaf from banging tin for 32 years
Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I tried the straight pipe thing, for about two years, and that all I could take. After a couple of 10 hour drives to Utah, and listening to that drone, that was it for me. Donaldson muffler installed.

And that's coming from a guy half deaf from banging tin for 32 years
5 speed trucks don't seem to have the same drone that the automatics have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?