1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Did you ever have something about these trucks that drove you just nuts ?

Besides everything except the engine???

For about a year now, I've had this horrible banging noise in the rear sector of the truck. I thought it was my overload springs that I cut off, but that "slapping" noise was still there under certain conditions... such as rough roads, or "whoop-deee-dooo's " in the road. Horrible metal to metal bang that I, for the life of me, just couldn't find...

Until today....

Filled the truck up with cardboard to take to the recycling center, and when I backed up to the 40 yard dumpster, I sat the trailer draw bar right up against it. I wasn't trying to do this, but it just so happened. Well, by getting my fat butt up into the bed, it moved the rear suspension up and down,and because the draw bar and ball were touching the dumpster, it made that dag nabbit noise that has been driving me bananas for what seems a lifetime. All those days of lying on my back in the cold weather trying to find that darn clunking noise. I thought it was my rear spring bushings had failed, and the metallic noise was the bolt hitting the bushing housing... Nope.

The draw bar was moving up and down in the receiver tube.

Pulled the draw bar out, and the noise is completely gone.

I feel like such a dingbat....
took me a while to figure that one out too. I even pulled it out and put it in the bed once, it bounced in there and made the same or close enough to the same noise. I don't remember how I finally figured it out but man was it annoying on the crappy Michigan roads with expansion joints every 100 feet.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I had the same heavy clunking sound in the back of my truck for years, I never connected it with the same sound as when I went too close to the back of my truck and smacked my shins on my 10-ton military Pintle Hitch mounted on a solid steel 6" drop mount because I was always bent over grabbing my shin and mumbling some words to myself.

After I made the connection, I silenced the sound by driving a nylon shim into the top and side space between the receiver and hitch to take up any slop, now it is completely quiet.

If you are wondering where to get nylon shins, they are the same ones used to level a toilet from the hardware store.

Leave the ends sticking out so they are easy to remove if needed.

Sometimes when I am sitting in a parking lot I will hear the same clunk and look in my mirror and see someone hobbling away swearing at my truck.

Just another fix for under a buck.

Jim
Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 PM

In the rust belt they usually rust together and stop clunking pretty quick. Most of the trucks I've owned required a big hammer to get the ball mount out if it sat in there for a week.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Administrator

That is terrible,
salting a road should be a criminal offense.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
I live in BFE. Parts store is 30mins but then my neighbors don't care what I do at 0300. I try not to run the dozer after 2200hrs tho...the close neighbors have a 2 yr old kid and I try to be respectful. Having said that... I ran the W250 around the yard at 0230 in 1st gear when we got done putting the NV4500 in. Haven't heard any complaints yet.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
I live in BFE. ...... I ran the W250 around the yard at 0230 in 1st gear when we got done putting the NV4500 in. Haven't heard any complaints yet.

Lucky You... We moved way the hell out here for the same reasons, Mrs. PA and Mr and Mrs NJ moved out here too... for "the country life" and it's been a battle ever since. They called the cops on me for fireworks on the 4th of July, BTW the cops said they only respond to complaints on the 4th and New Years Eve, but I had to stop because of the complaint.

9er
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 PM

That sucks. I dumped a 30 round mag full of tracers into the hollow (my property) behind my house at midnight on the 4th and on new years eve and half of my neighbors came over to watch. I set off fireworks too. I've done that for the last couple of years now...its kind of a tradition! Where I live is served by the state police only. They generally have better things to do on the 4th and NYE than go after fireworks. Part of it tho is that I help my neighbors out by fixing things for them. For example: I welded a broken roller bracket back onto my neighbor's mower deck the other day. I figure things like that go a long way towards my neighbors good will.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:13 PM

However, some people won't be happy no matter what and strive to make those around them as unhappy as they are. It always irritates me when city/suburb people move to the country for "country living" then complain about the smell of manure on the fields, tractors at 5am, dust from plowing, gun shots, etc. There is a rural township near Lancaster that became overrun with city transplants and recently passed an ordinance against hanging laundry up to dry outside of your house because it looked bad. Absolutely ridiculous!! I call them cidiots (city + idiot).
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 AM

I did the jim lane blower motor on steroids mod today,
I'm very happy with the outcome,as I was the headlight mod.thanks jim
Old 05-19-2014, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1st gen wontabe
I did the jim lane blower motor on steroids mod today,
I'm very happy with the outcome,as I was the headlight mod.thanks jim
Glad to be of service.

My blower blows so hard that it messes up my hair.
And I keep my long hair like my hero Ollie North.

If you want to feel a lot more airflow on your air conditioner, cut open the front of the evaporator air box like I did to clean it out but do not replace the cutout.

I have mine wide open and the air is crazy, but the only downside is it will suck up papers or small articles of clothing like a sweater off my floor into the evaporator, killer recirculation.

I am actually working on a way to install a small removable HVAC filter over the inlet of the evaporator to keep it clean.

Come on,
What HVAC tech would ever run a systen without a filter in the air handler?

Again, Glad to help.

Jim
Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed the oil, changed the BHAF. Started planning my front fender modifications. Basically cutting the front fenders to match a dually box opening with its fender flares removed. I have to re-engineer the fender liners, think I have a plan. Going to experiment on the very rusted (salty roads here in MI) fenders and liners, trying to find some black polypropylene to make plastic fender liners. Also need to re wrap some of the driver side wire harness.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
That is terrible,
salting a road should be a criminal offense.
If they didnt here the roads would be solid ice till may.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I got under is and looked around. I didn't have much time to do much so I just looked.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st gen wontabe
I did the jim lane blower motor on steroids mod today,.............

Got a link to that blower motor on steroids thing?

Have done the headlight mod, Yeah Baby... but that one is new to me.

This weekend I hope to address the rusted floor panels with POR15, bed liner until I can swing carpet. Also I have the Flow Pro SS exhaust installed but ordered the straight pipe muffler replacement so I hope I can get it removed and the straight pipe put in.

Anyone know how to remove the door switch for the dome lights? Drivers side is inop.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 PM

I put the new clutch master/slave cylinder in today. Not a huge difference between the the new and the old but haven't driven it yet. Seems a little easier to get into gear. I also started putting the Off Road Design twin stick shifter in. I've had to modify it a bit since they basically sent me a Chevy kit. Still working on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?