1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Got the heat sink cooler mounted today. Originally I was going for the radiator support, but after much thought, I wanted better protection from road debris. Mounted it behind the bumper, drivers side. I piggy backed on the bumper pad bolt for some of the support
Attached Thumbnails Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics-image.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Neatly tucked away, and all plumbed
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Used all stainless 1/4-20 hardware
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Do you have rear drums? I'm following what you're doing since I have to get my brakes working better. Even though I have big changes planned for Red, I have to have decent brakes before I tow this summer.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Do you have rear drums? I'm following what you're doing since I have to get my brakes working better. Even though I have big changes planned for Red, I have to have decent brakes before I tow this summer.
I still have the drums. Upgraded drums, meaning 3" shoes, and 1 1/8" wheel cylinders. Have you tried that upgrade yet?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Thanks Augie. I will call him when I'm ready. I'm doing the rear disc conversion next month.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Thanks Augie. I will call him when I'm ready. I'm doing the rear disc conversion next month.
When you call Tallon, and Butch answers, the company name he uses in Vintage Speed, just an FYI.

Wow! You going disc on all fours, and doing HB also...you're gonna have one kick butt brake system! I'm stopping after the HB. If it truly works as all others have said, with having to wear your seat belts cause you'll plant your face on the windshield, I'm happy with that, LOL!
Rear discs would be nice though. Just the fact that replacing of components doesn't involve opening up the axle and dealing with seals, leaking gear oil, and such is a big plus. If you don't mind, can you post pics of that install, and detail out on how you retrofitted that e-brake cable/system?
Thank you
Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
When you call Tallon, and Butch answers, the company name he uses in Vintage Speed, just an FYI.

Wow! You going disc on all fours, and doing HB also...you're gonna have one kick butt brake system! I'm stopping after the HB. If it truly works as all others have said, with having to wear your seat belts cause you'll plant your face on the windshield, I'm happy with that, LOL!
Rear discs would be nice though. Just the fact that replacing of components doesn't involve opening up the axle and dealing with seals, leaking gear oil, and such is a big plus. If you don't mind, can you post pics of that install, and detail out on how you retrofitted that e-brake cable/system?
Thank you
I will do a write up but for now I won't have a parking brake. I haven't decided what to do with that yet. Since my truck is an auto and I live in Florida I never use it anyway but I will eventually deal with that.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Clean looking install on the cooler Augie.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:01 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Looking good man!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Looks Good.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM

Yesterday I spent the first hour and a half running 3 quarts of PS fluid thru the entire system for a thorough flush. Then drained the reservoir, yanked out the vac pump along with the PS pump, and did the swap over. The new pump did not come with studs, so reflecting back on TCows double nut method to remove studs, those things spun out with no effort whatsoever. That there is proof of what a person can learn here on DTR, LOL. If it were not for that tid bit advice, the old vice grips would have first come to mind.
The pump reservoir off a 2000 model year has a larger reservoir, and it makes sense due to the added return stem. The extra size difference does not affect the overall length, though, as it still cleared the oil pressure sending unit as easily as the factory pump did. I believe, based on Ouchieman's tread on his HB conversion, that is not the case with the non intercooled models. He used a vac pump off like the intercooled models have, and with the PS pump off of a 2000 model year, he ended up having to plug off the port at the engine block and relocate his sending unit to the additional port on the top of the oil filter housing. So, if anyone with an 89-91.5 is looking to upgrade to the later vac pump and second gen PS pump, keep that sending unit collision in mind.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Finished off the day by yanking the factory vac booster off. The center to center hole pattern, of 3 3/8" horizontally and 3 1/2" vertically matched the new booster on the HB perfectly. This makes installing the booster a walk in the park. Butch over at Tallon made it perfectly clear, that on some dodges, the hole layouts are different. I believe now he was referring to other model years different than ours.
The only thing I screwed up on, is I forgot to take a preliminary measurement to find out where my brake pedal layed out; I should have measured from the firewall to the pedal, so this would've made the adjustment on the new pedal rod easier. I'm going to have to rely on the placement of the factory brake switch, and just adjust the rod so the pedal arm just kisses that switch.

The only hitch that I foresee, which I hope isn't a big deal, is the fit up of the proportioning valve bracket as it sits mounted onto the 2 booster to master cylinder mount bolts. May have to grind off material off of that bracket, maybe.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:33 AM

MrFusion, Mark, and Oliver, thanks for the compliment. I'm trying, and if it weren't for the folks that pioneered the way in doing the HB conversions, I would not have even known about it. It was Mark that nudged me to do it, LOL!
Funny thing is, I'm halfway into the install, and I'm still wondering if I made the right decision, investing in this. Fear of the unknown, I guess.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
MrFusion, Mark, and Oliver, thanks for the compliment. I'm trying, and if it weren't for the folks that pioneered the way in doing the HB conversions, I would not have even known about it. It was Mark that nudged me to do it, LOL!
Funny thing is, I'm halfway into the install, and I'm still wondering if I made the right decision, investing in this. Fear of the unknown, I guess.
By now your wife probably hates me.

Quick Reply: Tallon Hydraulics HB kit pics