1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Smooth ride in a 1st. Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bbrown how's the ride in that pickup of yours . ? are you riding on air? was it worth the effort? when you giving all of us a ride?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4WD shop I have been working with became a dealer for these about a year ago. He has sets on all of his trucks, as well as the employees trucks and soon to be on my CTD. The effectively remove axle wrap and have claims to reduce many other problems. Every customer have (dozens) has been very happy. Mine are being put on today so I don't have any impressions yet.

http://www.activesuspension.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by farmer0_1
bbrown how's the ride in that pickup of yours . ? are you riding on air? was it worth the effort? when you giving all of us a ride?
He doesn't get online a lot, but I have ridden in his truck. Roads where I was doing 25 and getting bounced around, his truck was cruising comfortably at 40. The difference is amazing.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
My reason for installing a limiting strap is to protect the air bag in the event the truck was lifted from the body and not the axle, where it could possibly damage the bag from over-extension.

Since my truck never goes off road or is harshly abused I would only install them to protect the bag if some tow truck driver thought he could lift my truck.
Jim

One very common situation, that probably all of our trucks will experience numerous times, is being lifted with a frame-hoist.

Even something so basic as an oil-change, or tire change, not done in the driveway at home, can subject the truck to being lifted by the frame, with the wheels left hanging, and, without limiting straps, the weight of the axles hanging on the rubber bags.

Another point to consider:

When air-bags are first purchased, BUY A SPARE BAG.

Every day I see air-bags that have been destroyed by steel-belted radial tire failures.

The air-bags are right next to the tires.

When a tire sheds it's steel belt, it comes swinging around, like a big weedeater string, taking everything in it's path; a soft-sided air-bag is no match.

This is no real problem on big trucks, as the bags are pretty much standard, simple to install, and available at any decent auto-parts; but, I would imagine the bags for these smaller trucks would be somewhat harder to find, on short notice.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by farmer0_1
It does ride quite nice. Mind you, it's no "Cadilac/Boat ride" - you still know you are in a Dodge truck.

Prior to the install, the ride was HARSH - almost like the Previous Owner had welded the spring pack together!

It WAS worth the effort - and every penny! The only problem installing them was the typical rusted fast and frozen bolts. My frame was slightly pulled together (about 1/2") when I transferred the flatbed from my 76 gasser, but a slight nudge with a porto-power did the trick. I still have not replaced the channel bumper which I welded to the flatbed back in 1980 and which was in the way of the new trailer hitch receiver, but that will come.

I also want to put an onboard controller/compresser/gauge so I can tailer the ride to the load. That would be a lot more cool than having to get out and use an air hose and gauge to adjust things.

Now, the ride is honest - the bumps are still in the road, but no longer do you feel like you're getting hit with a 2x4. Having installed the bags on all four corners, I would have to say that when I get my next (?) 1st Gen truck, I will look for another set of Kelderman Bags - and pay full retail if I have to. (I lucked out and got my set used and at a great fair price from Swampthang)

Next time I have my truck in Oregon I'll give you a call for a ride.

The limiting strap and spare air bag are both good suggestions - but at this point if I'm not going cross country I don't even carry a spare tire! I figure that I have a couple of those on the ground at the rear.

What I'd like to come up with now is a good beefy torsion bar/anti sway bar for the rear end. At times I am loaded top heavy, and it occurs to me that it might help the lean on the corners. This isn't an air bag issue, it was just as true before I put'em on.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 AM

that's what i like to hear , a plan that comes together. i realize short of building a new rig a first gen is allways going to be a pickup that is alittle on the rough ride side of things but as you said taking the edge off would be nice. thanks for the comeback. come on out to oregon always room on a 40 acre farm for a rig or two.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 AM

BBrown, are there any leafs removed for the front kit or is it just aired up to take some load off of them?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The Keldermann setup has you flip a couple leaves in the front. The air bags support most of the weight.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM

How I missed this post the first time around, I have no idea. I can't wait to get home so that I can see the pics. I'm gonna do it. The 4" can wait.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Sorry

I am going to remove 1 more leaf #6 from the bottom of the pack and see how it rides.
I'm getting ready to go this route next week on my D350. What's the final word on which leaves to remove for the best ride here? Looks like I have the same initial spring pack you started with in terms of number of leaves. I've also got a pair of airbags as well so I'm hoping to build on your experience here.

Is removal of 2,3, and 6 the way you'd go again? I didn't see a follow up post to this thread after the I more planned to remove so I thought I'd check in here before starting a new thread.

(I've followed the spring tips and custom leaf set plans threads but for now I'm going the removal route to start. Thanks for the invaluable info on the starting point you've already provided on this route! )
Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
jims set up is great,for those of you wanting traction control since you are messing with the spring pack anyways coudnt you cut the back of some of the leafs off while retaining the fronts ala mopar super stock spring? I have the kelderman system on my truck rides great , butwith aload the spring is overtaxed because the airbag is at the end of the leaf. gonna add air bags over the axel and have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump so I can find this again