1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

R and R VE Pump. No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R and R VE Pump. No Start

we removed and replaced my injection from my 91.5 donor truck with a pump that wasn't original. We pin timed both engines then took the pumps off and swapped. Now his 92 won't start. We are pretty sure the timing is correct and there seems to be plenty of fuel coming out of the injector lines when we cracked them open. we have cranked over the engine countless times with no luck.The pump we put on the 92 run great on the 91.5 but the motor on the 91.5 hasn't been running in a couple months as I have been stealing a few parts off of it. Right before dark we cracked the return line on the injection pump and are not getting any fuel...could there be a blockage? there sure seems to be enough fuel at the injectors themselves. any ideas? thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:42 AM

btw the keyway slot on the pump was at about 6oclock relative to the engine when we put it on so i don't think the pump is out of time. same as when we took it off. the shaft is not spinning as we have pulled the gear off a couple of times to check that and it was all still in place both times.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
See if you have fuel to the injection pump.

There's a little tiny orifice in the return line bolt, so not much fuel will come out if you crack it a little and crank.

Power to the shutoff solenoid?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If there is plenty fuel to the injector lines then it should start.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM

my buddy came out with the service manual and we figured out in about 2 mintues that the timing was NOT correct because i did NOT lock the pump when i took it off. the engine was locked at TDC but not the pump. truck's running and i've learned my lesson.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM

How did u adjust your timing? Cuz I think that's my problem too
Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 PM

i remembered the the letter E on the gear was in between the marks on the other gear and did some trial and error to get it lined up, locking the pump in position each time and after about 3 tries the gear slid right on and the truck fired right up.does that make any sense? i'm not very good at explaining haha.

now i have another problem...i hope after all of this the used pump i put on isn't wore out...it shouldn't be because it worked fine on the old truck and i haven't opened it up or anything.

the fuel screw is almost all the way in...no runaway but had to reindex the throttle to bring the idle back down to a reasonable speed. now i'm getting next to nothing for fuel...it will only build boost at high rpms (2500-3000) and even then it is only 5lbs max. there is NO smoke...even at startup there is just the tiniest puff...nothing like it used to or any other first gen does at startup. driving with the pedal to the floor or minimal pressure makes no difference in how much fuel it gets...just a steady small amount. the throttle linkage is working fine. it does not have a fuel pressure guage yet so I don't know if that's the problem...will be here in 8 days. the pin that rides on the fuel pin is working. would a crack in the AFC line give me this problem? i replaced the two copper washers as well. any ideas? thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 03:51 PM

sounds like your AFC isnt hooked up.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:55 PM

the afc line or afc lever? the pump has not been opened up since the 3200 rpm install many months ago and it worked great then.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM
alwaysonDTR

Originally Posted by DodgeMonkey
sounds like your AFC isnt hooked up.
that would be my guess also. the little bango bolt probally came out or the line is broke.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 PM

well after pulling out the majority of my hair i finally figured it out. the tip i got brazed on the end of my fuel screw is not perfectly in line with the screw so as you turn it it swivels around and doesn't stay seated. it eventually pushes off to the side making it act like the screw is only in a little bit. i pulled it out and put my other stock fuel screw in pulled the throttle a bucn and filled up the yard with smoke so i knew it was now working. took it for a test drive and now 28lbs of boost. what a relief! thanks for all the help.