1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

fine to hard to start to died and no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fine to hard to start to died and no start

my truck when I parked it to go out of town ran and started fine, when I came back it got hard to start. Like air in the fuel lines or something. I had to pump the throttle to get it started. well yesterday, it got to where it wouldnt idle, I had to hold the rpms higher and then it died and wouldnt restart. Changed the fuel filter and bled the lines but still seems like a lot of air in the lines. just as soon as we get the lines bled, its starts pumping air again. we talked about bypassing the hard fuel lines incase a hole got rubed in one. what are yall's thoughts?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:48 AM

Testing 1st , fuel pressure test .
As for the lines/hoses leaking , from tank to lift pump , put about 2-3 lbs of air pressure in fuel tank [ no fuel leaks to see because of vacuum from tank to LP ] , then you will see fuel leaking , if there are leaks .
From LP to main pump , that should have pressure so you should see fuel if leaking .
Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
It is doubtful that either of the hard-lines from lift-pump to filter to injector-pump would have worn a hole through, as they are pretty-much clear of anything to vibrate against; although, this is a common problem on lots of farm tractors.

Remove the line at the intake of the lift-pump and replace it with a length of hose stuck in a five-gallon can of fuel, bleed out the air, crank it up, let it run, shut it off and crank it up a number of times, and see if the problem goes away.

These trucks are old enough for the hard-lines along the frame to rust through, and the short rubber sections from lift-pump to frame and frame to tank are probably rotten.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks, the rubber lines from the frame to the tank are good, replaced them last time I had the tank down. I can open the bleed screw and do the lift pump by hand and I have no air there. Then work called so I guess it will have to wait. Ill see about replacing the other rubber lines tonight and doing the fuel out of an 5 gal. tank tonight. thanks