1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A question for the brake cognoscenti !

Old 08-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A question for the brake cognoscenti !

So when I bought my 93 W250 it had been heavily modified, the RABS valve was removed, the ABS computer unplugged, and 1 3/8" GM brake cylinders installed with 3" shoes.
The rear brakes were brutally aggressive with the front disks hardly engaging and the rears locking up on hot dry asphalt, a smooth stop on asphalt was essentially the equivalent of drifting to a stop using the emergency brake, stopping on gravel, dirt, or wet, surfaces without simply skidding the rears to get the disks operating was impossible.

I searched high and low looking for an RABS valve, they are not to be had. I talked to the service tech at Cardone, asking if I could adapt a Ford or Chevy unit (easy to find as used candy wrappers) to the Dodge, he said yes but..... the differences were the plugs were different (they wouldn't pass on a pinout comparison of the different models) there were different sized orifices between the different manufacturers and between the different tonnages of trucks, and the controllers had different pulse duration.

Finally I found a used one I paid sixty bucks for, figuring I would wring it out with a multi meter and adapt the plug to a Ford unit, it had been sitting on a wrecked truck with the rear axle removed the lines had been cut and it had sat for three years with the lines open, I tested it and wonder of wonders it works!

Now when stopping on gravel the rears skid momentarily, and release, the fronts connect and bring it to a stop. a moderate stop on asphalt, pulses the brakes two or three times and brings it to a stop, and a full on panic stop at 45 mph + unlocks the rears and the fronts drag it down, locking up if I don't modulate the foot pressure.
Obviously it would be better to keep the rears in play longer, I assume that a reduction in cylinder bore size would achieve the hoped for effect, so in hopes of not testing out every single combination:

Could those of you that still have a complete (working RABS) system, that are satisfied with its performance, tell me what size brake cylinder bore you have?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
The upgrade for the rear wheel cylinders is usually a 1.25 (1 1/8) wheel cylinder. I'm guessing your issue with the rears locking up is the larger wheel cylinders, but honestly think there is another reason for the rears locking up so easily. Did you pull the rear drums to check to make sure you do not have brake fluid leaking into the drums, this can cause excessive grabbing on the rear shoes. I have the 1.25" wheel cylinders and 3" shoes on my truck and no ABS valve and have no issues of premature lock up.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 AM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A lot of people ditched the RWAL valve as it is junk! I took mine out brakes just like it should! Good luck!
Old 08-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
The upgrade for the rear wheel cylinders is usually a 1.25 (1 1/8) wheel cylinder. I'm guessing your issue with the rears locking up is the larger wheel cylinders, but honestly think there is another reason for the rears locking up so easily. Did you pull the rear drums to check to make sure you do not have brake fluid leaking into the drums, this can cause excessive grabbing on the rear shoes. I have the 1.25" wheel cylinders and 3" shoes on my truck and no ABS valve and have no issues of premature lock up.
Just to pick a nit, 1-1/8" is 1.125" not 1.25".

I think the 1-1/8" cylinders and 3" shoes are standard on the Dually which is what I have.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
All of the talk about wheel cylinder size is interesting and all, but none of it matters if the rear drums are not adjusted properly. I realized this when just the action of removing the drums altogether solved all of my braking problems. I know that this is not an option for some because of the cost, but it does kind of prove (to me anyway) just how problematic the rear drums can be. I believe that all roads lead to Rome and all rear drum brake problems lead to adjustment, as a first, KISS type target anyway...Mark
Old 08-19-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
All of the talk about wheel cylinder size is interesting and all, but none of it matters if the rear drums are not adjusted properly. I realized this when just the action of removing the drums altogether solved all of my braking problems. I know that this is not an option for some because of the cost, but it does kind of prove (to me anyway) just how problematic the rear drums can be. I believe that all roads lead to Rome and all rear drum brake problems lead to adjustment, as a first, KISS type target anyway...Mark
I believe you are exactly right about adjustment. This is why self adjusters were invented. One thing I have found on my truck is the parking brake cable on the right side (the long one) sticks and won't release properly. This keeps the self adjuster from operating. My next task is to replace ALL of the P-brake cables since I see no way to lube them and get things working properly. I don't drive the truck much so it's not a big problem yet.

Edwin
maybe368 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 PM

The drums are adjusted and lines are bled, drums don't get hot,during normal use (although they will get hot on around town driving as they are the only things working if I choose not to skid them) and are not dragging. The pedal is right at the top, and the fluid does not leak down. The drums are clean and score free. The Pbrake is used often and is in good repair.
Since installing the RABS valve they no longer get hot around town but....the RABS disconnects them early and often. A gentle hundred foot slow down for a turn from 40 mph to 20mph will pulse the RABS valve three or four cycles.
Frankly with, or without the RABS the rear brakes are simply too aggressive always grabbing first, and locking up before the disks are even moderately engaged.
I spent the day swapping the cylinders to 7/8 bore and frankly no joy, the rear brakes are still grabbing first,
Combination valve?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Does anyone have a part # for a 93 w250 combination valve?
Old 08-19-2018, 06:58 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Red fir- I’m actually getting ready to replace mine. Just so we understand each other on terminology, you’re talking about the valve directly underneath the master cylinder, with the brake switch? If so, you can just pick one up from Summit racing. Just make sure it’s for a front disc and rear drum set up, as these can come disc/disc.

Sounds like with your issues, a lot of your skidding and lock up can be cured with an adjustable proportioning valve. Also from Summit.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:39 PM

Yes under the master cylinder, what used to be called the proportioning valve.
I assumed they would be vehicle specific, Disk/Drum is the only criteria?
Old 08-20-2018, 03:19 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by red_fir_smoke
Yes under the master cylinder, what used to be called the proportioning valve.
I assumed they would be vehicle specific, Disk/Drum is the only criteria?
unless you’re lucky enough to find another 26 year old one at the junkyard, get one from Oliver Foster here on DTR, you’re not going to get another new one, specifically made for our truck. That’s why I mentioned either one from Summit, JEGs, one of those aftermarket suppliers will have one. You’ll have to re design a new brake line or two, to reconnect from your master cylinder to that new combo valve, but that’s no biggie. Just make sure it says it’s designed for disc/ drum systems.

when I was looking into these, they had a drum/drum set up, disc/disc set up. I did not punch in a vehicle specific search using our model truck year, engine type, etc. just found one for trucks, disc/drum, and in my case, hydroboost rated.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brake shoes have leading and trailing frictions. Be sure that the shoe closest to the front of the truck has the short friction material. Drum brakes are self energizing. If the leading shoe has full length frictions, it will grab as soon as there is contact with the drum.
Clean, dry shoes and proper adjustments are critical as previously stated..
nonrev (08-21-2018)