Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Engine brake / Exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine brake / Exhaust brake

Who has the best Engine brake / Exhaust brake out there for a 2000 AUTO i need some websites to look at and how much do they go for??

How good to they really work does it help on you brakes at all??

I need one for my 2000 AUTO

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the right setup they work awesome. And if you use it all the time it will let your brakes last longer. I would not own a diesel for towing and not have an exhaust brake on it. If you can, try and find someone that will let you go for a ride or even drive their truck to see how they work. With an automatic you will need the brake, and a torque converter lockup control to keep the converter locked up on decel. The best quality brake and converter control that I have seen/used is made by BD. Their Towloc converter control works the best, and they have the Pressureloc to increase line pressure when converter locked up, which works on accel. as well as decel. I'm sure everybody will have their opinion also, so you should get plenty to think about.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An engine brake is not available for the B-series Cummins engine. I don't even think they make one for the C-series.

In terms of manufacturers of exhaust brakes, you have in no particular order:

Pac-Brake
BD
Jacobs
Banks

Plus there maybe some more that I am unaware of.

First you will need to decide if you want a turbo mount or a remote mount. Basically you need to decide if you will ever want to upgrade your turbo or go to twins. If so, you will need a remote mount. I have a turbo mount, and I am kind of wishing I had a remote mount, so I could upgrade my turbo without getting a new exhaust brake.

As far as pricing, I would suggest you check around with various suppliers. Start with our site sponsers.

You will also need to lock that torque converter to use a exhaust brake.

The difference between having a exhaust brake and not having one is amazing. I cannot speak from expierience on a auto, but I would not have another Cummins without one. I have only replaced front pads once in 158,000 miles. See if you can find someone close by that has one that will let you try it out. You will not be disappointed.