3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pac Brake-or-Jake Brake??

Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pac Brake-or-Jake Brake??

I know this has been covered, but i cant seem to find it under the search. Which brake do you guys prefer? I have heard good and bad about both and im just trying to decide which way to go....
Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 PM

I just had the Jacobs installed last Friday. I had a Jacobs on my 2002 also. I've not had a PacBrake so I'm probably not the most qualified for a comparison. But I can tell you the Jacobs works very well. It also has a cruise control function which engages the brake and helps to hold the truck from exceeding the CC set point..

Also, if it is dealer installed it is covered in the warranty. My dealer charged me 4 hours labor...$288.00. Well worth it, if you ask me.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 PM

Im not that smart but i though that a jake brake was only on big rigs and it opens the exhaust valve or something, and you cant get it on a cummins. but thats just a guess.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by deviousracing
Im not that smart but i though that a jake brake was only on big rigs and it opens the exhaust valve or something, and you cant get it on a cummins. but thats just a guess.
The Jake Brakes on big rigs do not work the same as on our trucks. However, since it's made by Jacobs, it is technically correct to call it a Jake Brake. As a matter of fact, included in the kit is two self adhesive name plates to put on your truck if you wish. They say, "Jake Brake".

Jake Brakes for our truck is a piece that installs after the turbo and is basically a vacuum operated butterfly valve that closes off the exhaust which causes backpressure to slow down the truck...works great! Check it out --->Jake Brake
Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the Jacob, which I installed myself, and have been very happy with it. A buddy of mine had a Pac, which he was also happy with. As I understand it, the new Pac brake hooks into the ECU like the Jake does, so they no longer require you to install a microswitch (to detect when the pedal is at idle position). I think also the Pac uses air pressure to activate the valve, where the Jacob uses Vacuum...

If you go Jacob, it may pay to price check the Cummins parts house.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Jeff in TD
I have the Jacob, which I installed myself, and have been very happy with it. A buddy of mine had a Pac, which he was also happy with. As I understand it, the new Pac brake hooks into the ECU like the Jake does, so they no longer require you to install a microswitch (to detect when the pedal is at idle position). I think also the Pac uses air pressure to activate the valve, where the Jacob uses Vacuum...

If you go Jacob, it may pay to price check the Cummins parts house.
Did you get the "Jake Brake" nameplates with yours? Did you put them on your truck? Where?
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 AM

I had the Pac brake on my 95 for 9yrs and never had a problem. I had the dealer put the Jake brake on my 04.5 before I got it. I don't see any difference in performance, and the only reason I went with Jake brake this time was warranty.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Buzz,

I didn't find any sort of decals with mine... I probably wouldn't have put them on anyway- nothing against Jacob, I just don't like stickers on my rig.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM

which works better? the vaccum pump on the jacobs, or the electric pump like on the pac??? just tryin to make an educated decision.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Jeff in TD
Buzz,

I didn't find any sort of decals with mine... I probably wouldn't have put them on anyway- nothing against Jacob, I just don't like stickers on my rig.
The nameplates that came with my brake actually look pretty good. They're made of plastic but look like chrome and steel. I may put them on...haven't decided yet.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM

My PacBrake was installed by the dealer when I bought my truck. This was last summer and the Jake's were on hold at the time for whatever their reason was. Rather than using a vacuum like the Jacob's, it works on air pressure provided by a small compressor installed under the hood. No complaints from mine so far.
Im not that smart but i though that a jake brake was only on big rigs and it opens the exhaust valve or something, and you cant get it on a cummins.
The braking used on the big trucks is an engine brake and is typically installed when the engine is built. You're correct about the exhaust valves. When the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke, the exhaust valve opens. So rather than getting fuel injected into that hot compressed air, the engine does all that work to compress the air then it just gets released. PacBrake as well as some other manufacturers make engine brakes as well.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:37 AM

which works better? the vaccum pump on the jacobs, or the electric pump like on the pac??? just tryin to make an educated decision.
As far as I can tell, both work fine. I went with the Jacob only because it is sold by Cummins and Dodge, and I figured there would be less chance of an argument should a warranty issue arise.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 PM

Sorry for the drift in the post but has anyone with a PAC had any problems in the colder temps with your Pac not working at all?

Mine when it gets about 34 or lower out it will come on and the compressor will just run and the butterfly will not engage at all. Also sometimes the compressor doesn't come on at all. Now and then it will work fine when I am in stop and go traffic (under hood temps rise) and then when I run for 10 mins with out stopping it will act up again. Now that the temps are above freezing it works just fine.

Could there be water in the lines from the compressor? Or what?

It drives me nuts when I have a 15,000# trailer on and expect the PAC to work when I come up to a light and it won't work!

I love my PAC! (when it works)
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 PM

Ram1 I had the same problem with the BD when it was about 5F.

called them and told me to move the compressor suction line into the cab, moisture/freeze up problem

has not been as cold so i havent bothered to move it

LOVE the BD(when it works)