1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Piston Lift Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Thanks everyone! Now all I have to get is the hard line from the pump to the filter. I think I already have the banjo bolt seals got extra when fixing a previous leak at the VE pump. Not sure if I want to enlarge the holes in the banjo bolt since my pump is stock at present so I don't really need the extra flow. I'm just looking to get some extra mileage from the pump over the diaphragm type. I don't want to weaken the bolt.

Edwin
Speaking of enlarging the holes in the banjo bolt as per the original instructions on this thread... I was wondering first what would be the point of that and is it a good idea? and second, If I do that, should I then enlarge the holes on the other banjo bolt that has the bleeder screw in it and sits above the fuel filter? In other words, there is another banjo bolt that connects the outflow from the filter over to the injection pump. Ought those be enlarged as well?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Don't get the piston pump from the Amazon link I posted. It puts out over 35 psi. It pegged my meter when I tested it after it blew the front seal out of my VE injection pump and filled my crankcase with diesel fuel. Get the pump from DieselTuff which Nascar Mark has reworked to only put out 14 psi which is safe for the seal.

Edwin
Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Don't get the piston pump from the Amazon link I posted. It puts out over 35 psi. It pegged my meter when I tested it after it blew the front seal out of my VE injection pump and filled my crankcase with diesel fuel. Get the pump from DieselTuff which Nascar Mark has reworked to only put out 14 psi which is safe for the seal.

Edwin
So is it that the part numbers have changed and the original pump (3936320) referenced is no longer a low pressure pump? Or were you sent the wrong pump from the amazon seller? Reading through all the threads, it's terribly frustrating looking for a pump that will work. I'm looking for a reliable pump that will support between 200HP and 250HP.

So the conflicting info I'm trying to weed through is that the 3936320 (now I think 4988751) is both safe and too high a pressure.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by RamDodgeSam
So is it that the part numbers have changed and the original pump (3936320) referenced is no longer a low pressure pump? Or were you sent the wrong pump from the amazon seller? Reading through all the threads, it's terribly frustrating looking for a pump that will work. I'm looking for a reliable pump that will support between 200HP and 250HP.

So the conflicting info I'm trying to weed through is that the 3936320 (now I think 4988751) is both safe and too high a pressure.
The pump I got had no name and no number on it. It was a cheap knock-off and I think that the seller assumed as long as the pump had OVER a certain pressure it was good to go.

This is the pump I finally got. https://shop.dieseltuff.com/14psi-HV...ump-for-VE.htm

Edwin
Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 PM

I see. Even some of the Ebay listings including the part numbers mentioned in this thread have some of the applications including 2nd gen dodge trucks so it's getting confusing.

I found a cummins 4988751 (latest part number) that comes with the peace of mind that it would work for $100 from Oregon Fuel Injection. Says specifically it would work with VE pump. Still I would like to go with something cheaper as I'm eventually wanting to just use a 2nd gen pump and a regulator but it's getting to the point that my time slipping by is factoring in.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I ordered 3 HVLP LP kits from The Hungry Diesel.
They worked well and had the right pressure needed for the VE pump.

I am sure the Dieseltuff ones are the right ones as well.

As far as random E-bay sellers I would be wary of them knowing what they are talking about.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I ordered 3 HVLP LP kits from The Hungry Diesel.
They worked well and had the right pressure needed for the VE pump.

I am sure the Dieseltuff ones are the right ones as well.

As far as random E-bay sellers I would be wary of them knowing what they are talking about.
I second that emotion! I would check anything from eBay or Amazon with a pressure tester. After I got the bad pump off my truck I connected a meter and pumped some diesel through it and it pegged the meter which topped out at 35psi so My guess it was putting out over 40psi. The way it works is the plunger which rides on the cam eccentric pushes the piston back against a spring. The strength of the spring determines the max pressure of the pump. Supposedly there is a spring available that will reduce the pressure of the higher pressure pump to VE tolerable levels. I may try it with the old pump I have to see what it makes just for fun but I won't ever run it on my truck again.

Pulling the Inj pump to replace the seal isn't a lot of fun. But I've pulled my pump and reinstalled it 4 times so I'm getting kind of good at it.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Cummins 4988751 is not a HVLP pump, just so you know.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by nascar mark
Cummins 4988751 is not a HVLP pump, just so you know.
Yeah. Just looking for a bare bones basic piston pump that won't blow the seal. Anything will be better than my worn diaphram pump which has been replaced by a now worn walbro pump that was purchased for a 2.4l mercedes a decade ago and slapped on my rig in an emergency two years ago!