1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

One wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One wheel drive

Since ive bought my truck only one rear wheel spins. i know it does this normaly but i thought that some times both wheels were supost to spin, like in burnouts and spinnin out on dirt and stuff. am i wong or is somethin messed up (prolly is knowin my luck)
Old 10-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Unless you have a limited slip differential only one wheel will spin. Check the tag under the hood (if it's still there) or the tag on the axle (ditto), they will tell you the gear ratio and if you have a limited slip axle it will say so. The axle tag just has "LS" stamped on it. If you have an LS diff and one wheel is spinning, you need to rebuild it, which isn't hard.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:40 PM

If both tires have EXACTLY the same amount of traction then they will both spin. However this is highly unlikly because of weight differences. The drivers side is normaly heavier so normaly the right rear tire will spin. Only way to get around it is a Limited slip or a Locker. For everyday driveing a LS is all you need.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:30 AM

Sounds like you have a Open Diff rear end. Most came that way as mine is also. It just plan STINKS. No matter what, the more power you give, that right rear tire will spin. Even on ICE as I have tried. Now, to work around that. Step on the Brake pedal HARD. Start to give it throttle and about 8 - 12 lbs of boost, you will notice that your right rear tire may start to spin. Give it more throttle while STILL stepping on the brake pedal and hopefully your left tire will start to break loose also. Then nail the throttle while letting go of the brakes. You will probably leave some posi but not much as it may grab and the right will keep spinning.

I do NOT recommend this if you do not maintain your truck and brakes as it will be eating your rear brakes rather fast besides doing some damage to your drivetrain. It places a lot of torque on things and you should have your truck up to the task before attempting it.

With that said. I love doing Brake Stands. Leaves about 40' - 60' without a problem.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, a open diffed 4x4 is a 2x2 really and a 2wd is a 1 wheel drive, unless you have a diff in your transfer case then it might be a 1x4
Old 10-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Nuttymopar's suggestion is an old 4x4'ers trick usually used to lock up your front diff and get you through a rough spot. I use it frequently with my jeep, but take him seriously when he says it burns breaks and stresses parts.

I'd use that little trick to help when needed only if I were you. If your tags are not on the vehicle, then you'll be able to see if you have an LS diff when you open it up to change the gear oil. (which all sensible truck owner do).

To fix it is not that bad a job if you can do your own work, but will cost you a few bills if you have someone do it. Best of luck with it!!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:43 PM

What can i do so get both spinnin without losing positrack is it possible to swap out for a limited slip. i really need the trackin when pullin in two wheel drive. i can keep lockin in 4 every time i hook up to a trailer. (it will help when i get new tires right now i can shift through 3 gears when its wet and not move)lol
Old 10-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you don't have a limited slip one can be installed. It's basically the same procedure as a new set of gears, any good 4X4 shop can do it for you.