1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Oil pressure

Gents
I have a issue with oil pressure (15psi at idle) after an oil change. I just changed my oil (Rotella T 15w-40) and filter (Penski) and after I ran it around the block the oil pressure at idle is 15 psi. Before the change it woud have 25 -30psi at idle. The pressure at driving speeds is good (55-60 psi) same as before. I have used many brands of oill filters on many different engines but I have never seen one effect oil pressure ,(well once when one blew off a motor...). Any one have any confirmation or other ideas. Realy not in the mood to start looking into bottom end troubles.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your engine is getting 15 psi at idle, it should still be getting sufficient lube at idle, even though it may be a bit low. (It could just be the guage/sending unit, which is cheap to do). If you notice a high engine temp at idle versus a lower temp at driving speed, you may have an issue with lubrication.

As long as the pressure increases when the idle goes up you should be o.k. If this is a recurring situation oil change to oil change over time, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If it's a new situation, I would check it out more closely, and even change out the filter to be sure. They can have defects that lower oil pressure, as you found out with the blown motor.

The other thing to consider is that after a few thousand miles, the oil is somewhat broken down compared to a fresh change, and therefore flows faster. =higher psi.

If you notice the oil light flickering however at idle/startup, it may be time to get out the wrenches. I hope that's not the case.

Good luckwith your rig!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
15 psi at idle is OK. I think the filter is somewhat restrictive. If it bothers you, change it for a Fleetgaurd Stratopore and see what happens. Filter and a quart of oil shouldn't cost you more than $10, peace of mind is worth that much.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reply's. This problem did not exist untill I changed the oil. The Oil light dosent flicker... it s fully lit. I am going to try a better brand filter but I dont expect much. I have already started planing on a pump and bearing replacement as soon as I get room in the shop. I was just curious to see if anyone had experienced this also.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM

I don't have a gauge on mine,however my light would stay on at idel as well and it was my sending unit.But I don't know what my exact pressure was, or is.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would change the filter with a Fleetguard. If I remember right Penske filters are made by Allied Signal, the same company that makes Fram. I had filters by that company on both of my trucks and when I changed to Fleetguard I gained 7 psi at idle.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:02 AM
DDD

I would definitely run a Fleetguard filter. They’re OE on Cummins engines, and they’re one of the leading names in the filtration industry.

According to Dodge/Cummins, 10 psi is the minimum acceptable at idle, and 30 psi is min acceptable at rated speed, so 15 and 55 psi sounds pretty good. These Dodge sending units DO get tired with age. They are not supposed to activate the dash light until they see as low as 8 psi,. Mine was recently flickering at idle so I replaced the sending unit, now the red light doesn’t flicker, and the whole gage indicates higher. By the way, purchase the Napa part if you decide to replace it. My first sending unit came from Dodge and it was bad right out of the box. It wouldn’t even activate the gage at all.

Where does everyone measure the oil pressure? I measured at the 1/8” pipe fitting on top of the oil filter boss and I had 60 psi at idle on warm oil.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:09 AM

I unscrewed the OEM sender and just plugged in right there. I have 30-35psi at warm idle, 55-60psi warm down the road.

I have seen filters effect idle psi on gas motors b4, so it's not unheard of