1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need VE Help!! pickup has lost most of it's power.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy some bad news and some more bad news

ok, I talked to my local diesel injection shop. They told me to take the pump completely off the engine and bring it down to them. The guy on the phone explained that not too much can go wrong with the upper pump. I do agree that there is not much to the top pump part. I guess once he can see it, a better determination can be done on cause of why the pin will not move out. I also consulted PDR (Piers Diesel Research). I explained in detail what the pump was doing after reassembly. Basically they sent back an email explaining that the pump is shot and that a new rebuilt one must be purchased. They also noted that the cost of repairing mine would exceed the cost of a reman pump. If this is true..............my newly purchased 93' CTD will be nothing more than a yard ornament for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Firstgenfanatic
ok, I talked to my local diesel injection shop. They told me to take the pump completely off the engine and bring it down to them. The guy on the phone explained that not too much can go wrong with the upper pump. I do agree that there is not much to the top pump part. I guess once he can see it, a better determination can be done on cause of why the pin will not move out. I also consulted PDR (Piers Diesel Research). I explained in detail what the pump was doing after reassembly. Basically they sent back an email explaining that the pump is shot and that a new rebuilt one must be purchased. They also noted that the cost of repairing mine would exceed the cost of a reman pump. If this is true..............my newly purchased 93' CTD will be nothing more than a yard ornament for the foreseeable future.

When you reassembled the pump and you were lowering the top onto the body you did insert the pin through the top hat and then through the lever didn't you? Then the end of the spring would hook through the hole in the pin.

The hole is on the lever on the right side of the pump.

Also if the lever on the top was not indexed properly the lever that pulls the spring will not be at the correct angle and will not pull the spring.
The lever in the picture should be pretty much vertical when it is operating.

If it went on real easy and the screws lined up, then something went wrong.
As delicate as this pump is, it is really simple once you understand what pulls what and where.

I noticed the arm was not moving toward the pin at all........instead you can hear a small clicking sound coming from under the top pump cover when I actuate the throttle lever.

This sounds like the spring is not connected properly to the lever maybe it came loose from the pin when you were setting the top back on.

I also consulted PDR (Piers Diesel Research). I explained in detail what the pump was doing after reassembly. Basically they sent back an email explaining that the pump is shot and that a new rebuilt one must be purchased.

The guy must be telepathic to be able to see the pump and know for a fact that maybe the spring was not connected properly and the pump was just SHOT.

Since the truck was running before you took it apart even though not properly indicates to me something was just not reassembled correctly.

I know it is frustrating when you do not understand something and trying to learn as you go but I feel it is something simple, you just need to re trace your steps.

But first take a break and do not get stressed out about it then try again.

Most importantly, DO NOT START the engine, something might have fallen off and dropped into the pump body.

If something did then it will be sitting there on top and not mangled up inside.

The worst you can do is screw it up and need a new pump but I think you can fix it.

Jim
Old 08-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some pics of what my pump components look like. I did follow all the steps that you mentioned, including making sure the spring and tophat connections were right. It took me some effort to get the top pump cover back on........especially the bracket that touches the fuel screw. I'm kinda at a loss for why the pin is not properly working?
Attached Thumbnails Need VE Help!!  pickup has lost most of it's power.-home-pictures-099.jpg   Need VE Help!!  pickup has lost most of it's power.-home-pictures-100.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Something got put together wrong. Did you remove the fuel screw or use the wire method?