1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Boy, do I feel bad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, do I feel bad...

So, it was around the time that I got my first gen extended cab CTD W250 that my girlfriend was starting to think that her Toyota 4X4 pickup was starting to cost her too much money and become a little unreliable. She was also very committed to the idea of running biodiesel and "flipping the bird" to the fuel industry. I was totally in love with my new Ram and so naturally I started telling her how great these trucks are and how reliable the engines are and so forth and so on. When one came up on eBay, (I bought my truck on eBay also) I pointed it out to her. I called the guy and asked as many questions as I could think of, drawing on my new experience with my Truck. It all seemed to check out, and we struck a deal and bought the truck. (Exact same truck as mine except with a Getrag instead of A518)

Since then, the truck, which has less than 150,000 miles and is cosmetically in great shape, has been one frustrating and expensive problem after another.

First, the lift pump went out. Not that big a deal, probably related to biodiesel and certainly a learning experience for both of us (we performed the repair).

Then a routine brake inspection turned into a $750 repair involving a new rotor, 2 new calipers, all new pads, and a steering gearbox rebuild (which has since failed - yes of course she should take it back to the mechanic, but we were in a different part of the country then)

Then, last week, late at night on a solo trip through the middle of California, she started getting weird noises from what she thought was the tranny. 10 minutes later: very bad noises, truck doesn't go anymore. Tow to tranny shop next day, the rear end is a hot soup of gear teeth, metal shards, and oil (yes it had enough oil). And on top of that, the Getrag IS making some scary noises.

Sadly, it sems like someone beat the crap out of this truck at some point and we just couldn't tell until things started breaking. My truck, which has 100,000 miles more, is doing fine (knock on wood).

The technical question from this story is: How long should a properly cared-for Dana 70 rear end last? This is important not only as regards the one that self-destructed, but also in consideration of a second-hand one that may go into her truck. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether a rebuild would be a better option? (Rebuild: $1700, used replacement: $1350)

And the bigger question, which I wonder sometimes, is whether the devotion to these trucks which I feel is perhaps more passion than reason....

(Pictures of our matching trucks in my gallery)

Christian
Old 10-23-2005, 05:42 PM

To bad on the rear end. Thats alot of money for a rear end. The bed on your blue truck looks alot like mine....Who Made it?

Coop
Old 10-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First off, let me just say that I feel for you and the little lady with your troubles. Though I bought my truck knowing the Getrag was on the way out, the first to go (two weeks after I got it) was the Dana 70!!! Peeled some pinion gears right off...they were all there when I bought the truck, no recourse there. Then went the Getrag. I built both of them myself, admittedly saving a boatload of cash, but I still had well over a grand in parts between those two components. Fast forward a few months and with a 366 gov spring in hand, I dove into the pump. Put the spring in, noticed some metal flakes. Two days later, truck bucks and quits. VE is toast. ANOTHER grand later, I was back up and running. I'm pushing 400k so I'm considering most of my woes part of the program for a truck of this vintage. Given proper care, a D70 should last indefinitely---given that proper care may include outer bearings and races @200k and maybe fresh carrier bearings @300k. See, (IMO) we live in a predominately throw-away society where most would rather toss the broke stuff and buy new. Things like D70's and (gasp!) 100% cast iron Getrags and, of course, the mighty 12 valve were meant to be continually serviced and put back to work over a very long period of time. We're so used to just tossing that old Nokia phone in favor of the latest Motorola for no good reason, it's been pile-driven into our minds that most of what we have is not worth keeping once the bigger/faster/lighter/cooler replacement comes along. The truth is, keeping your rigs running is probably one of the best automotive investments you can make. These trucks are full of parts that are meant to be maintained to allow continued service, rather than be retired to the scrap yard in lieu of the next 'flavor of the week' which usually ends up being a stack of monthly payments that only adds up to horrific resale value. So, at least from where I sit, the devotion I have to my rig is fueled by passionate reason. Real, tangible, no-nonsense heavy duty components built to be worked AND worked on, not thrown away. Yeah, passionate reason.
greg
Old 10-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would bet that the cross pin fell out and mangled everything. That would not be the first time that's happened. I would go with the used replacement, but open it up before you lay down the money. Look at the wear pattern on the gear teeth, and make sure there isn't any backlash within the differential itself (not just the ring and pinion, the gears inside the differential).

The rear on my truck is doing fine at 236 k. I had to replace the limited slip clutches, and they messed up the spider gears while they were failing, but it only set me back about $225 for parts and a Sunday morning to do the work. The gears are quiet, the bearings are good. I would expect a rear end to last as long as the engine if it's properly cared for.

As long as the scary Getrag noises go away at higher RPM and it's not popping out of gear, it's a healthy Getrag. Low RPM gear rattle is very common (and not a problem), especially when the trans is warm.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:20 PM

I dont frequent this forum but I have a thought. I see that you are in LA. When I was stationed in San Diego there were a bunch of pick and pull yards around. You payed $1-$5 to get in and the parts were way cheaper. You should be able to find a rear end in one of these places for at the most half what you were quoted if not $250. Another place to look is in the auto trader. Most of those ads in there that are "for parts only" are smaller junk yards. They are pricey but should be way less than what was qouted also. Good luck in your hunt for parts.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered

it cost me 1500 to replace my dana 80. check the junk yards. thats where i got mine.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:17 PM

What kind of rear axle did they put in the 89 2wheel drive trucks? If it will help you out, I have one that needs a good home for cheap. If you can use it then just let me know. I dont know what condition its in, but we drove it from New Orleans to Memphis without a problem. We bought the truck on ebay for the engine and trans. the rest of the truck is for sale for cheap cheap.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The PO of my truck had to have the rear end of the truck rebuilt after it siezed up on him with about 160,000kms on the odometer. It had thrown a pinion shim and caused the pinion bearing to fail. The PO was a rancher who hauled a heavy goose neck stock trailer with the truck.

Appartently a lot of early '90s Dodge vehicles had bad rear end setups from the factory. Nearly every Grand Cherokee I have driven between '92 and '94 had rear end howling, some minior, some scary.

I feel MUCH bettter about my truck knowing that the rear end has already been done.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:14 AM

i've seen a bunch of 80's off newer wrecked trucks on ebay for less than $1200 too. just a thought.

dave
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry to hear about your problems. but it seems to me like someone beat on the old girl pretty hard with very little maintinence.I've got 242,000 on the rear-end in my truck, and there is'nt even a little noise coming from it. but that does seem like a lot of money for a d70 rear-end.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:01 AM

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's been grossly abused... Whether haulin hay, cattle, or trucks, I gross up to 36,000# regularly. I take great care of my D350, but I use it ... hard. Fluids are changed at regular intervals, I keep my bearings adjusted and always investigate those "funny noises" before they become serious problems.

That said, I chew up a rear end every 100k and the Getrag every 144k. Like clockwork. Full rebuilds every time on the 70, usually just a set of bearings, syncros and whatever gear got chewed up on the Getrag.

I just upgraded to a Dana80 in hopes of alleviating my rearend woes, and careful shopping yielded an Ebay purchase of $600 for 4.10/LS/97k on it.
So shop around, there's no way I'd spend a grand on a 70.
Another option: Yukon Gear will sell you a ring & pinion, plus full bearing kit and install kit, for around $500.