1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Body Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 08:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Yea, those things are more like hitting a cow than a deer.

Just out of curiosity, about how fast were you going?

One of those dessert runner or rock crawler bumpers that project and lean out might help deflect the vehicle up and over but you'd have to hit head on. Not sure I'd want to go over one either though...
Was going about 60. Slowed down some sure to bright lights in my eyes.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:31 AM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
Dang. So no frame damage right?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Dang. So no frame damage right?
No frame damage. So far just the core support,radiator, condenser, intercooler, bumper, fan blade, fan mounting bracket and the turbo. Hopefully get a chance this weekend to get the front taken apart and check for anything else.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:51 AM

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwldman
No frame damage. So far just the core support,radiator, condenser, intercooler, bumper, fan blade, fan mounting bracket and the turbo. Hopefully get a chance this weekend to get the front taken apart and check for anything else.
I would say it is safe to add the hood, passenger side fender and grille to that list.
If the fan blade and mounting bracket / hub is on your list, I bet the fan shroud is damaged too.

Let me know if you can't find everything you need out there as I have all those things in my shop.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (09-24-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 05:23 AM
KRB

The diesel Liberty I have I rebuilt after a deer strike. I replaced all the mechanicals to get it running then drove with all the body damage while I sourced more parts and money. Hood creases still had deer hair embedded, grill was wire mesh, bumper was, well, it wasn't. Looked bad and folks constantly told me my hood wasn't latched but it worked...

Wow, the turbo? So did it break at the manifold or? Opportunity for an upgrade!
Old 09-25-2021, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
The diesel Liberty I have I rebuilt after a deer strike. I replaced all the mechanicals to get it running then drove with all the body damage while I sourced more parts and money. Hood creases still had deer hair embedded, grill was wire mesh, bumper was, well, it wasn't. Looked bad and folks constantly told me my hood wasn't latched but it worked...

Wow, the turbo? So did it break at the manifold or? Opportunity for an upgrade!
No the turbo just seperated where it connects to the compressor. I thought about going with the HX35 but I have an exhaust brake so don't have enough clearance. So thinking maybe a 60mm compressor. I might be lucky on the body work my grandson does some and is pretty good so gonna let him give it a go first. Then I can focus on getting it running again.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
You don't need to go with a bigger radiator, the stock unit cools just fine.

As for a bigger intercooler you have really only have a couple options, the all aluminum power stroke and a 2nd Gen cummins units. On the 91.5-93 trucks the PS unit works best, the 89-90 Non-IC trucks seem to work better with the 2nd Gen unit. I have the PS unit on my crewcab and it was a bit of work and a tight fit....you can check out my install in my build thread.
I admit I ain't real good with this but I don't seem to be able to find your build thread. What is the title?
Old 09-26-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
I admit I ain't real good with this but I don't seem to be able to find your build thread. What is the title?
Here you go .. it takes awhile but a very good read
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...update-305923/
mtnwldman (09-30-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 06:12 PM

We found a donor truck. I am gonna take what I need then my grandson is going to work on it to build him a truck eventually.
nonrev (12-03-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 07:12 PM

Nice looking parts rig.
That bumper might be a nice upgrade for some wild critter protection.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
edwinsmith (12-02-2021), nonrev (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 05:00 AM
KRB

So your grandson will someday still be looking for same body parts to replace the donor's or is he using your customized old ones?

I do like the bumper, maybe add a grill guard to it. Winch could be handy.

The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
edwinsmith (12-03-2021), nonrev (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:11 PM

He is going to see if he can pound out the customizing I done. He also needs to look into the transmission that seems to be the only real problem. The engine fires right up. The bumper was one of the first things that caught my eye. Gonna figure out how to put a grill guard on it though. Anybody know of brighter headlights that work in these trucks?
Old 12-03-2021, 01:29 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
He is going to see if he can pound out the customizing I done. He also needs to look into the transmission that seems to be the only real problem. The engine fires right up. The bumper was one of the first things that caught my eye. Gonna figure out how to put a grill guard on it though. Anybody know of brighter headlights that work in these trucks?
I bought a pair of Hella lights which have replaceable bulbs. You have to modify the buckets to accommodate the big round end on the lights where the bulb inserts. Basically you just cut out the rest of the "D" shaped hole to be an "O". I got 100 watt bulbs in mine even though they are not strictly legal. You can also get LED bulbs for them I think. I got them on Amazon. If you go to higher watt incandescent bulbs you probably want to invest in relays to save the switches in the truck.

Edwin
Old 12-03-2021, 02:26 PM

I like the set of Truck Lite LED headlights I put in my '91.0 a few years ago. They are really bright and use less electricity than the incandescent bulbs, which lowers the draw through the headlight switch and wiring.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:13 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
I like my incandescent lights because up close you can see skin blister. Also the relays allows a bit higher voltage on them so 14.2 volts instead of 11.5 which I was getting through the regular wiring. The LED's are a bit Blue for my taste. My eyes are sensitive to blue for some reason.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Body Parts