1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

16cm housing suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16cm housing suggestions?

Just got my holset 16cm housing today. Soaked the bolts real good with liquid wrench. Have a good idea about how to tackle this project, just wondering about any gaskets or bolt replacements i need to consider??? Also, do I need to lube any parts before cranking er over with the new 16 on?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:53 AM

Re:16cm housing suggestions?

Do you have any instructions? While you seperate the housing, remove it straight and not cocked. Be sure you don't let the housing push against the turbo blades. Use two of the bolts to &quot;press&quot; the housing off. Should have a new gasket for the oil return on the bottom of turbo. Leave everything loose so you can rotate while reattaching oil line. I used antiseeze when I reasembled.<br>Michael
Old 11-21-2002, 09:50 AM

tstproducts.com has good instructions
Old 11-21-2002, 02:22 PM

I do have the instructions from tst, but i don't see where i will be removing any oil lines. I plan on leaving the turbo attatched while replacing the housing. I hope this sounds clear. I've gotten some really good tips from other members. Thanks all. Also I have an 89 non-intercooled.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on my experience with removal of turbos on older trucks. You will be better off to go ahead and remove the whole turbo assembly to get the housing apart from the compressor. Over time, the housing and the compressor become rusted together. It took a brass hammer and a cutting torch to heat the housing to get mine off. MichaelAZ is right, be sure not to **** the housing one way. Go around the housing tapping it off. As far as gaskets go, you should only need two. That is the exhaust housing to exhaust manifold gasket and the oil drain line gasket. The inlet oil line on top of the turbo compressor does not have a gasket. I would also suggest that you get a tube of anti sieze and put a little on each manifold bolt/exhaust housing bolt. And the bolts that hold the lock nuts in place on the exhaust housing. It is really a fairly easy job. Just take your time and have patience when removing the turbo housing.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:26 PM

I pulled my turbo to drill the thermocouple last weekend and found it very simple to do. Took about 10 minutes to get off. I was plesantly suprised that the 4 nuts that hold the turbo to the manifold were stainless. Came right off with no problems.<br><br>Good luck. Hopefully I will be doing mine soon too. ;D
Old 11-21-2002, 10:29 PM

Sounds like good advice. I'll be visiting cummins tommorrow to get me some gaskets. <br>Oh that'll have to be right after I get my 4&quot; straight thru exhaust I'm having put on in the morning. ;D<br>Thanks guys
Old 11-21-2002, 10:47 PM

ya mean ya can't just take the darn thing off anr throw it on the ground and have it pop off.<br><br><br>Heck no wander the dang thing gets 2lbs of boost but sounds like a jet engine.<br><br><br>
Old 11-22-2002, 01:34 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I also remove the whole turbo to change housings to the 16.<br>I soaked the bolts regularly for a number of days first.<br>I then removed the turbo, and put in down on an old milk crate to hold it...<br>Back out the 4 bolts a bit, and then use two of them as levers.<br>You can put something between the bolt heads and the other end of the housing, then back each bolt out a bit, alternating back and forth. In my case the the leverage of the threads/bolts as they backed out just pushed the housing off clean and easy. You may have to wack it though. Many are kinda rusted on as mentioned above. Just be sure not to let the housing get &quot;cocked&quot; or hit the turbine blades as mentioned.<br><br>bob.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:12 AM

Can I get some part numbers for the seals and gaskets?<br>Thanks Aaron
Old 11-22-2002, 12:50 PM

hey dodgeman01, found the gasket #s. Exhaust housing to exhaust manifod #3901356<br>Oil drain line gasket #3519807<br>found em on tstproducts.com<br>hope this helps
Old 11-23-2002, 04:15 PM

I alway separate the center section from the exhaust housing with the ehaust housing still bolted to the exhaust manifold. I have never had a problem separating the turbos. Yes, some are stubborn, but they always come apart.<br><br>Use 3 bolts and nuts as screw jacks between the center section and the exhaust housing. Spin the compressor wheel with a finger as you are separating the turbo to ensure no binding takes place. Once you have the drain tube and oil supply line disconnected, loosen the four bolts holding the center section to the exhaust housing. Remove the side bolts completely as the top and botom ones can't be removed due to interference. Find some bolts that are just short enough to fit between the back of the compressor housing and the exhaust housing (at 3 locations roughly 60 degrees apart). With nuts on these 3 bolts, start to unscrew the nuts, 1/8 turn each until separation occurs. This process should not take longer than 1 minute. Good luck.<br>Marc<br>