1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Error Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error Codes

Can someone please provide me with a list of error codes for the 1992 W250 with A/T? I seem to be getting a few and don't know what they mean. ??? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:31 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Re:Error Codes

It would be much easier if you posted what you got for errors.<br>I have most of the codes in my 93 manual if you want me to look for yours.<br><br>bob.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:05 PM

www.alpar.com has them listed on their site.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:41 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Jbolt, have you tried calling PDR to see if you can get a mount for your gauges? They may be able to help you on that.<br><br>bob.<br><br>ROFLMAO...&quot;..thought it was blue when I bought it, never wear amber tinted sunglasses when you by a truck!...&quot;
Old 11-14-2002, 08:39 AM

Bushy-<br><br>I finally got my gauges mounted last night. I could not find a 4 gauge mount I liked so I ended up mounting them in cups on the dash. I would prefer an enclosed type mount but I wanted them on the dash right behind the steering wheel. I may make one out of fiberglass next spring. I'm hoping the weather hold this weekend so I can get the pyro and tranny temp senders installed. <br><br>I'll share my story about buying a &quot;blue&quot; truck sometime.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:17 PM

Bushy, here they are in the order they appear...<br><br>1-2<br>3-3<br>2-4<br>4-5<br>5-5<br><br>Thanks.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:49 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Ouch ! you got a couple there.. ok, here's what's in the book<br>1-2 is the same as 12, 3-3 is 33 etc..<br><br>Ok.<br>I have no error code 12 that I can find so far..<br><br>33= A/C Clutch Relay Circuit // an open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch relay circuit<br><br>24= Throttle Position Sensor Voltage to High/Low // Throttle position sensor (TPS) input above/below maximum acceptable voltage.<br><br>45= Overdrive Solenoid // An open or shorted condition detected in overdrice solenoid circuit.<br><br>55= end of codes.<br><br>That is what I see in the 93 manual.<br><br>Let us know if we can help resolve some of these with you..<br><br>bob.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:47 AM

Here ia a good list and description of the error codes and possible causes.<br><br><br>Error Codes<br>
Old 11-15-2002, 10:23 AM

Ok, the A/C error code has me stumped since I don't have any A/C on my truck... ??? The other ones make sense however since I am having all kinds of trouble with my O/D... Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Whenever I fiddle around with the plug on top of the tranny it'll work for a while and then quit again. I'm getting so frustrated with it that I'm seriously thinking about transplanting a standard tranny into the truck. THanks for all the help so far.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Ok spitzair, first take two of these little babies here.......@@<br>now breath deep and relax....<br>If you are having some results from wiggling a plug/connection you obviously have some wiring issues.<br>You need to check continuity... (I really suck at electrical stuff so Lil Dog should jump in here..) Find out if you have a short or intermittent short in your wiring/plug. The fact that it works for a while after wiggling is a dead giveaway that you are real close. Like I said, I SUCK at electrical stuff but I'm willing to look in the manual and see if I can find the right page/diagram and look were the wire(s) lead to so you can backtrack. (help you electrical guys!!! )<br>Since you don't have AC then there is obviously something shorting/grounding out that should not be.<br>It will take some time and a helping hand but this can be fixed.<br>Give me a chance to look it up.<br>Also, try calling Bill K.(if you haven't already) and see if he can point you in the right direction. Tell him what you have done so far, and your findings/results.<br>I'm sure he'll try to help you out.<br><br>Hang in, I'll start looking as quick as possible.<br><br>bob.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:04 PM

Bushy,<br>No pressure...I've got my trailer taking up all the room in my shop right now so I won't be able to work on the truck until it's outa there anyways (I'm not a big fan of working on my truck in the rain...) I appreciate all the help though. I did some testing with my extremely limmited electrical genius but got nowhere in particular. All the wires from the computer to the tranny are good according to my ohmmeter, and I replaced the plug on the wire too. No continuity between the wire and the frame though, so I guess there aint no short there, but inside the tranny could be a whole different story... I'll keep waiting on new info to be posted and of course I'll let everyone know what I find in case I do manage to piece this puzzle together. <br>Thanks again for all the help everyone.<br>
Old 11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you did continuity checks of the wiring and replaced the plug, thats about all I could offer for help. You might want to pull the OD switch out and see if something looks fishy there too. Sounds like it may be an internal short in the OD solenoid giving you fits.<br><br>As for the AC circuit, follow the wire loom down the passenger fender to the alternator. The AC wiring is bound up in there and if it rubs on the fender or Intercooler lines like mine, its only a little moisture and some bad luck that will give you that code. Mind you that code isn't keeping you from driving the truck.<br><br>AS for the 1-2 code. That is the standard start code and all trucks will display 1-2, 5-5 if tested with no problems.<br><br>Good luck..<br><br>J-eh
Old 11-21-2002, 02:50 AM

I Have a 1991 Dodge W250 Cummins TurboDiesel and i have the same problems with my overdrive (sometimes working sometimes not) and i cant check codes because there isnt an interface in the years starting at 1991 and earlier. I was wondering what you did eventually.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:46 AM

91's have the new columns and such, they don't throw codes? even older daytonas and k cars throw codes...
Old 11-21-2002, 11:58 AM

To get the codes I just turned the ignition key from off to run 3 times in quick sucession and after a few seconds the check engine light will blink in sequence...

Quick Reply: Error Codes