12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Smoke on acceleration..

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Smoke on acceleration..

Hi,

I'm a new owner of a RAM 94, 2500 , 4x4 , diesel , 5spds with 173k on the clock. On acceleration, between shift, the truck smoke black. Could it be tired injectors or lack of boost ? The truck is bone stock.

Cheers,
Marc/
Old 11-25-2004, 06:29 AM

Check the turbo boost boots, especially the lower passenger side at the cooler.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the tip Smokee, i will take a look at this. And btw, this board is incredible, load of informations..

Thanks,
Marc/
Old 11-25-2004, 09:41 PM

I'm only 1 week into owning my 1st 12 valver, so this may be off base, but couldn't his pump be tweaked causing the smoke.

I turned my starwheel the 1st day and unless I told you, the truck would still look bone stock, yet it smokes some.

I'm thinking his previous owner adjusted it some.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 PM

You could be right, but it could be the intercooler line as well, If the line developes an air leak than it would cause black smoke....so we have 2 areas of posible conflict.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:02 AM

Thanks for all the infos guys,it's really appreciated.. Well, the IC pipe seems not to leak, ive checked with soapy water sprayed on the rubber joint..

When i start the truck on cold weather ( -10'C ), i have to let my foot on the throtte for a minute to keep the idle around 500 rpm, if i remove my foot the truck stall.. After a few mins, the truck idle correctly,, i don't know if it could be related..

Cheers,
Marc/
Old 11-28-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your idle is too low adjustment instructions here http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/adjustm...d_Gen-Idle.htm
Old 11-28-2004, 10:41 PM

If it only smokes a little between shifts for a second then clears up as it accelerates, thats pretty much normal turbo lag. Turning the star wheel foreward will increase the smoke during this period. The low idle on a cold start below20 deg F is a trait these have. Do the idle adjustment procedure Infidel prescribed to make sure it is correct. Then if you are unhappy with the idle, put a throttle kicker on the linkage. There are a variety to choose from, If money is no object choose Vanner or Vortec, if you want to economise go to a bone yard and pickout an old Chevy V-8 with a carb and get an anti-diesel solinoid, make a bracket to mount it on the linkage and adjust it to a fast idle. (I know, anti-diesel solinoid to make a diesel run ) Then mount a switch on the dash to turn it on for cold starts and turn it off for driving. Then there are the creative people who use sticks, stones and strings to create fast idles. Good luck

Howard
Old 11-28-2004, 11:20 PM

Find a Cummins authorized repair center and have your engine tuned up. You'll be glad you spent the money! They know so much more than dealerships and independents. They remove and clean the injectors, recalabrate the pump, test fuel pressure, clean primary pump, install new fuel filter, check all fuel lines for any air or fuel leaks. I have mine tuned up about every 50K miles($85+parts), and it always amazes me with performance afterwards. Everyone else that I allow to drive it says it performs better than any other stock diesel they've seen.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:57 PM

Howard : The smoke vary depending how hard i hit the go pedal between shift, but clears up as it accelerates, but if im in 5th gear and hit the throttle it smoke thick black.. It seems to me that the turbo takes forever to spool. I will install a boost and egt gauge within a few weeks.. I tought that at 173k the injectors where tired.. I will probably go with Mach 1.5, after reading a ton of messages...

I will also do the idle ajustment, because the truck idles between 400 and 500 rpm.

RAY: I will try to find a Cummins dealer around here.. Canuck winter is coming fast and i want the truck in good shape..

Thanks again guys, it's really appreciated.

Marc/
Old 11-29-2004, 05:06 PM

Yeah. The truck should idle at about 750rpm or so to start and run fine on cold mornings. The turbos usually seem like they take longer than they really do to spool. Id say your truck has benn turned up some myself. Either a full forward stock plate/afc housing/starwheel, or something like that. If it really has a lot of power and comes on pretty darn hard when you mash it, it could have an aftermarket plate. Id say pull your AFC allen head plug out, and try to turn your starwheel towards the engine with a small flathead screwdriver. If it wont turn or tuens ver little, then its already been turned in by someone else probably. Pull the plug out, and turn it back away from the motor also to see if that clears up the smoke you might go about 10 clicks at a time, and you can always turn it back; and this way you should be able to clear up the smoke to basically nothing if you go far enough, but it will hurt power some. I HIGHLY doubt your injectors are tired. I imagine its just been turned up some. Id leave my injectors alone unless of course you wanted more power . Also, if you get injectors, you DEFINATLEY NEED gauges! It will get hot pretty quick with injectors if your not careful. Good luck

Eric
Old 11-29-2004, 05:43 PM

I doubt that the truck has been tuned up.. The previous owner knows how to start and drive the truck, period.. So the smoke must come from somewhere.. I don't want to eliminate the smoke because im concerned about it, my VW smoke and pull like a coaltrain; i just want to pin point the reason.. I printed the instructions to play with AFC and i will give it a try.. I just want to be sure that the engine is not going south..

I made a call to Cummins East Canada to get a quote for a full tuned up. They dyno the truck, change all filter, leaking seals ( valve cover ) check the pump timing, compression test etc.. 600$CN I think that i will wait a bit...

Marc/
Old 11-29-2004, 06:00 PM

Make sure the air filter is clean also. check for obstructions on the air intake. When the budget can afford it, buy some guages to measure the pressures and temps