12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

finally got my 94... and have few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally got my 94... and have few questions.

Today I finally took possession of the 1994 62K miles 4X4 that I had bought sight unseen about a month ago.I am pleased with the overall conditions of the truck and no doubt in my mind about the milleage beeing real! It shows! I live in an area where salt gets to vehicules after 5-6 years no more and when I decided to go for this one from Colorado wasn't convinced as much as would have been if lets say frm Arizona.But nevertheless the steel is really intact no damm rust nowhere! During the month of waiting I've read many testimonies about some trucks wandering from one side the road to the other...it worked in my mind a bit that is what I should expect but how surprised am I to see how straight and solid this truck drives!That five speed shifts like a charm and that clutch pedal is much easyer to press-in compare to my two other old GMs...How surprised again to see myself actually listening to the excellent radio system not beeing overhelmed by the 12 V outside noise!Actually a very solid feel but extremely well mannered truck..best of two worlds.Starts at a quarter of a turn,idle very nicely at 750RPM,gets approx. 1900 at 66-68-MPH 3.5 gears...in short a lot of a truck for the money.Not a drip to be seen on the pan,or housings.

Few questions here: the tag under the hood says: dana 80 at the rear and dana6 (?) in front..is
this standard or option,especially the 80 at the rear?nothing on the tag about if they are opens or LSD.
There are 4 ranchos..one at every corner..was this stock or aftermarket..could it be original factory equipement?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:42 PM

Congratulations on your find.

The Dana 60 front, Dana 80 rear is standard equipment on 5-speed trucks. Automatics, like mine, got the Dana 70 rear. If the tag under the hood doesn't say limited slip, the you have an open differential. Unless the previous owner put one in, only way to know for sure is to lift up the rear end and spin the wheels.

To my knowledge the factory did not use Rancho shocks.

Here is what I would do next. Go over the truck front to rear, check everything, change all the fluids and filters, fix the KDP and advance the timing (at the same time is way easier), add gauges, and start the bombing process, or simply enjoy your new truck.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 AM

The sticker in the glove box should tell you if it's lsd.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get your VIN# and call the dealer. From their computer, they can read to you the "build sheet" that will tell you everything about your truck, including if you have a LSD or not.
Another way: Get on a dirt road, nail it. One line, open diff, two lines, LSD.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Sounds like a nice truck. Now get on that KDP before it gets on you!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Baja
Get your VIN# and call the dealer. From their computer, they can read to you the "build sheet" that will tell you everything about your truck, including if you have a LSD or not.
I stopped by my local dealer and they printed out a sheet that listed all of the OEM equipment and options, any open recalls, and recall work that had already been performed.

Or possibly one line and a worn LSD or no friction modifier in the gear oil.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Baja
You might as well play pin the tail on the donkey as to use this method. My truck has an open rear , but it ALWAYS spins both tires if i am on dirt. My dad's truck has an LS Rear , and just backing out of the driveway too fast will make it lock. I was in an 01 the other day that straight ahead spins both rear wheels , on pavement , but going around a corner with too much throttle, and it will only break one loose , the LSD is too loose. Check the tag under your hood, if it clearly states rear anti spin , then you have LSD , if it says nothing , then you probably don't.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Or, you could pull the cover off the diff, change the fluid while you're in there and know for sure while being confident that you have good, fresh fluid in there at the same time.

George
Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the infos. I just arrived home after some 650 miles driving with it and am fully satisfied with it.Drove around 60-68 MPH and might averaged a bit over 20 mpg..this is using imperial gallon so even better if using US gallon value.

That truck is all stock and eventually I'll tow with it so boosting power a bit could be in line but first I'd like to really check its actual capacities.Yesterday I had long steep hills to climb ,maybe a mile and a half long and around 10 degrees estimated..anyway something that with my 305 GMC 3/4 ton I would have ended-up crawling in second at 25-35 mph..I made it at 55-60 in fifth yesterday with the dodge so it is way stronger nothing to compare.

The fuel filter on my truck is at least 25K miles old and altough the engine starts,idle,run perfectly it could starve for fuel a bit and underperformed.
Also the air filter`s condition device might indicate a need for replacing it..this could also short some power.

I'll bring the truck in the garage now and it will stay there for a good while..gee this is hard to decide to put this nice one in the snow and salt but I will perform a very torough anti corrosion treatment first.

KDP will be looked into for sure as well all the fluids.Fifth gear is something I want to have performed by knowledgeable people and well equiped..can't think of no one around here that would be adequate for this...I guess I'm not the only one who kind of prefer to stay away from dealers and by far want to do everything by himself but I know my limits.

As far bombing the truck I might down the road but since one need to know what he his doing it could be a long process...but I know that on here site I can have good help.

I will take and post pictures of it soon,specially the engine compartement,I guess,could be an excellent "all original" file picture.

thanks,again,
Ronald.