AKDTR #22 Forum for the Alaska Chapter #22

Does anyone have a Smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long does it take to get used to that kind of weather, (if you weren't born there) and does it play he** with anything mechanical? It must be like a different world up there. What temp is it now? I guess it is something you just accept and deal with? ---like the humidity down here in the Southeast.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My gauge of temperature has changed already. I used to live in CO, but it was dang cold when we got here 2 months ago. Now anything near 0 or a few above seems like a good day, jeans and a sweatshirt. I feel adjusted but no means experienced I guess, in living here though. I mean knowing all the things you learn after a couple winters here, I still carry a box in the back with food, water, sleeping bag, spare clothes, shovel and chains.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by nelrod
How long does it take to get used to that kind of weather, (if you weren't born there) and does it play he** with anything mechanical? It must be like a different world up there. What temp is it now? I guess it is something you just accept and deal with? ---like the humidity down here in the Southeast.
Oh yeah, both my wife's and my parking brakes froze on I guess, light never went out, didn't feel like it was dragging. Only went away once we got her car in a garage and it warmed up. I made the mistake of pulling her car out of the garage to work in there. Her car fogged up instantly on the inside and gave it a nice coat of ice in there. Not sure how that quite happened. Lots of fun though, very pretty here.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM

Dang, Ice on inside of car. Whew. Jeans and Sweatshirt a little above zero. And here I would be bringing the brass monkeys indoors. Hat's off to ya.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
I made the mistake of pulling her car out of the garage to work in there. Her car fogged up instantly on the inside and gave it a nice coat of ice in there. Not sure how that quite happened. Lots of fun though, very pretty here.
When you park inside, roll the windows down to let the moisture out of the vehicle. Once you are outside, leave the window cracked a bit for a few minutes . The tempeture difference from garage to outside is usually pretty significant and causes condensation (fogged windows).
Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
When you park inside, roll the windows down to let the moisture out of the vehicle. Once you are outside, leave the window cracked a bit for a few minutes . The tempeture difference from garage to outside is usually pretty significant and causes condensation (fogged windows).
Thanks, now I know.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM

So....anyone on here happen to live in interior Alaska and own a Smarty? Dealer can't seem to get it to work out
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ALPHA
So....anyone on here happen to live in interior Alaska and own a Smarty? Dealer can't seem to get it to work out
If the guys down at Simmard can't help, try Northern Truck Center (Cummins dealer)or The Diesel Doctor. Diesel Doctor is spendy...... And like anything you probly better have a good idea fo what you want to happen so you don't get taken advantage of.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
If the guys down at Simmard can't help, try Northern Truck Center (Cummins dealer)or The Diesel Doctor. Diesel Doctor is spendy...... And like anything you probly better have a good idea fo what you want to happen so you don't get taken advantage of.
I didn't think we had a Cummins dealer, I know where I will get the real parts when I need them. Good to know. Well, next step is print directions off of Genos and bring them in.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM

A little late but norhtern truck wouldn't give me the time of the day to even talk about our motors. I tried ordering filters from them and they wouldn't even try. The diesel doctor are a good group of guys. they do good work and hvae a great knowledge of old and new diesels. I can't trust simmards after they messed up two of my buddies rigs. Not many folks up here know what they are doing with these things.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks, I tried Gene's again, they said yes, we did the TSB, got it home, tried and tried, no high idle. But good news is I got a locking throttle cable and threw it in, works great. Still want the 3 cyl idle though....
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM

I don't trust Genes to even look in the direction of my truck. Too bad on the idle. Probably someone down in the anchorage area that could do it.