Does anyone have a Smarty? - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums


AKDTR #22 Forum for the Alaska Chapter #22

Does anyone have a Smarty?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #16  
Registered User
 
nelrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: foothills of North Carolina
Posts: 1,055
How long does it take to get used to that kind of weather, (if you weren't born there) and does it play he** with anything mechanical? It must be like a different world up there. What temp is it now? I guess it is something you just accept and deal with? ---like the humidity down here in the Southeast.
nelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #17  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
13ALPHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 563
My gauge of temperature has changed already. I used to live in CO, but it was dang cold when we got here 2 months ago. Now anything near 0 or a few above seems like a good day, jeans and a sweatshirt. I feel adjusted but no means experienced I guess, in living here though. I mean knowing all the things you learn after a couple winters here, I still carry a box in the back with food, water, sleeping bag, spare clothes, shovel and chains.
13ALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #18  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
13ALPHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelrod View Post
How long does it take to get used to that kind of weather, (if you weren't born there) and does it play he** with anything mechanical? It must be like a different world up there. What temp is it now? I guess it is something you just accept and deal with? ---like the humidity down here in the Southeast.
Oh yeah, both my wife's and my parking brakes froze on I guess, light never went out, didn't feel like it was dragging. Only went away once we got her car in a garage and it warmed up. I made the mistake of pulling her car out of the garage to work in there. Her car fogged up instantly on the inside and gave it a nice coat of ice in there. Not sure how that quite happened. Lots of fun though, very pretty here.
13ALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #19  
Registered User
 
nelrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: foothills of North Carolina
Posts: 1,055
Dang, Ice on inside of car. Whew. Jeans and Sweatshirt a little above zero. And here I would be bringing the brass monkeys indoors. Hat's off to ya.
nelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #20  
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member
 
ofcmarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 14mi North of North Pole
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ALPHA View Post
I made the mistake of pulling her car out of the garage to work in there. Her car fogged up instantly on the inside and gave it a nice coat of ice in there. Not sure how that quite happened. Lots of fun though, very pretty here.
When you park inside, roll the windows down to let the moisture out of the vehicle. Once you are outside, leave the window cracked a bit for a few minutes . The tempeture difference from garage to outside is usually pretty significant and causes condensation (fogged windows).
ofcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #21  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
13ALPHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcmarc View Post
When you park inside, roll the windows down to let the moisture out of the vehicle. Once you are outside, leave the window cracked a bit for a few minutes . The tempeture difference from garage to outside is usually pretty significant and causes condensation (fogged windows).
Thanks, now I know.
13ALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #22  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
13ALPHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 563
So....anyone on here happen to live in interior Alaska and own a Smarty? Dealer can't seem to get it to work out
13ALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM   #23  
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member
 
ofcmarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 14mi North of North Pole
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ALPHA View Post
So....anyone on here happen to live in interior Alaska and own a Smarty? Dealer can't seem to get it to work out
If the guys down at Simmard can't help, try Northern Truck Center (Cummins dealer)or The Diesel Doctor. Diesel Doctor is spendy...... And like anything you probly better have a good idea fo what you want to happen so you don't get taken advantage of.
ofcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #24  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
13ALPHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcmarc View Post
If the guys down at Simmard can't help, try Northern Truck Center (Cummins dealer)or The Diesel Doctor. Diesel Doctor is spendy...... And like anything you probly better have a good idea fo what you want to happen so you don't get taken advantage of.
I didn't think we had a Cummins dealer, I know where I will get the real parts when I need them. Good to know. Well, next step is print directions off of Genos and bring them in.
13ALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #25  
Registered User
 
akrammit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cold bowl in North Pole, AK
Posts: 98
A little late but norhtern truck wouldn't give me the time of the day to even talk about our motors. I tried ordering filters from them and they wouldn't even try. The diesel doctor are a good group of guys. they do good work and hvae a great knowledge of old and new diesels. I can't trust simmards after they messed up two of my buddies rigs. Not many folks up here know what they are doing with these things.
akrammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #26  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
13ALPHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 563
Thanks, I tried Gene's again, they said yes, we did the TSB, got it home, tried and tried, no high idle. But good news is I got a locking throttle cable and threw it in, works great. Still want the 3 cyl idle though....
13ALPHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #27  
Registered User
 
akrammit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cold bowl in North Pole, AK
Posts: 98
I don't trust Genes to even look in the direction of my truck. Too bad on the idle. Probably someone down in the anchorage area that could do it.
akrammit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have Smarty 4.11 Mild/Wild Aftermarket Turbo? rallydriver 3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) 6 10-02-2008 07:52 AM
Does the F-150 have an 8ft Bed Available - and why does Nissan/Toyota... Common Other 15 05-07-2007 01:58 PM
Does anyone know of a good install company in AZ that does A Pillar Gauges? drewallen42 Towing and Hauling / RV 4 04-14-2007 01:07 PM
does anyone have a smarty running in 05 yet genros 3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) 1 08-01-2006 01:20 PM
2002 and Below have Lift pump VP44 what does 2003 have routerguy99 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain 17 08-11-2003 12:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Copyright 2017, DieselTruckResource.com
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.