Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Worst luck with trailer tires....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Worst luck with trailer tires....

Blew both tires on my toy hauler on the passenger side last week. The first one blew about 25 miles from home, the second one about 100 miles later on the interstate. This was the first trip this year at highway speeds. The date code on the tires was 1212 (five years old). If they had been 8 years old or more I'd just write it off to age, but I'm beginning to wonder if I need to do something different to protect my tires.

Questions:
1. I park it on the north side of my house, in the shade, so I don't worry about covering them for sun protection. I don't blanket them in the winter (got down to -20F once this past winter), do you guys?
2. If you blow one, should you replace both on that side? I really wish I had as the second one took out my fender skirt, about $180
3. I guess I should replace the other two now as well....

Interestingly 8 years ago- different trailer, same destination, same time of year I had nearly the same experience. Blew the first one in almost the same exact spot, blew the second one about 20 miles sooner than this time. Those tires were ten years old though so I guess I had it coming.

Used to be a nice trailer...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
That's too bad about the trailer damage. I have owned trailers for around 40 years and currently have 4 trailers right now, I have never "blown" a tire and never cover them in summer or winter. Sure I have had lots of tires damaged from nails especially my dump and flat deck trailers but I keep my trailers at max inflation 80psi and check before heading out on long hi way trips, I also use sealed valve caps to ensure that if a valve leaks the cap will keep the air in. If I find a tire lower than the rest it must have a leak and it's usually a nail, some take using a spray bottle with dish soap in the water to find the nail, I keep a spray bottle of soapy water in my 5ver RV for propane and tires.If feeling around the tire for a nail use a glove ouch. On the hi way I use an infra red thermometer to check tire, hub and brake temps at fuel stops, the tire temps will vary but will be close on each side of the trailer depending if they were in the sun. I think blow outs occur when a tire is low on air and heats up.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I too had a blowout on my last trip.

The sidewall failed which fortunately didn't take out the trailer's skirt. The tire was a six year-old Power King Towmax STII, Load Range D. Tires' air were checked before leaving the campsite and the failure occurred about 200 miles later.
1. They were six years old per the date stamp on the tire. My tire guys say 5-years max on trailer tires, regardless of wear.
2. Load range D. These 8-ply Towmax have an "L" speed rating (75-mph). So, while I don't tow that fast, its a qualitative indicator, and that rating likely declines with age.
3. Potholes. The interstate was a mess. Particularly at night there were some holes that couldn't be avoided. This may have compromised the tire, particularly given its age.

I've just replaced all four with the new Goodyear Endurance, Load Range E, tires. (Tire Rack - $102 for ST225/75R15). These 10-ply tires have an "N" speed rating (87 MPH) which will provide more speed and load carrying head room than the Towmax'. I'm hoping to get out on the road this weekend with them.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Get your rig weighed, as you would use it, like after the wife is thru taking everything she thinks she needs. You'll be surprised. Also upgrade your tires to E rated. LT's if you can although it may be difficult to find the rims to make those work.

Check your air like your life depends on it. Sometimes it does. Take a compressor and check it before you head back home. Look at them close at each stop.

Check how level you are towing. Makes a big difference. Most rv's I see going down the road are way nose high so most of the back pairs are severely overloaded.

On top of all that, is this fact. They just don't make tires like they used to, especially trailer tires.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I've blown at least four others (that I remember) besides the eight mentioned here over the years, twelve total. Bad luck?

I check psi (and lug nut torque) before every trip. I run them a couple of psi under max. I usually get them replaced at Les Schwab if possible, as they are the only chain around here that warranties trailer tires. They old ones were D-rated, I upgraded to E-rated, $115 out the door. Towmax brand, or "Blow Max" as some of you refer to them. I've never needed the warranty or blown a Towmax because I usually upgrade trailers every 3 years or so.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get 16" wheels (about $45 at etrailer.com with free shipping) install E rated tires and eliminate a whole bunch of problems.
John
Old 04-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah what those guys said. RV trailers notoriously weigh more than advertised, and running a trailer tire up close to its max loading seems to lead to failure.

When I replaced the 6 E rated tires on my toyhauler, I went up to load range G. Overkill, but not that much more money and they've been trouble free.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM

On my 5ver RV I use Michelin XPS Rib tires, they are a LT tire but I can't say enough good things about them. The toughest, most dependable tire I have ever used and Costco sells them.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
On my 5ver RV I use Michelin XPS Rib tires, they are a LT tire but I can't say enough good things about them. The toughest, most dependable tire I have ever used and Costco sells them.
I think they're the best for any application. I'm on my second set. Prior to XPS I had two tread separations and one blowout on my 10,000 # fifth wheel. I called Michelin and the tech told me they're good for seven years on a RV. Expensive, yes but well worth the cost, cheaper than RV body damage.
John
Old 04-28-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
john 40---RIGHT ON!
"friends don`t let friends buy ST tires"
Old 04-28-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sojoe
john 40---RIGHT ON!
"friends don`t let friends buy ST tires"
I disagree... While I do use Michelin LT235/85/r16 E XPS ribs at around $300 each tire on my 5ver RV I use ST235/80/r16 E trailer tires on my Dump, flat deck and equipment trailers. I can get new rims and tires already installed and inflated with a valve stem for $135 each so ST tires definitely have a place, they are great for around town and I always take a second ST spare if on a long road trip, like I said I've never had a blow out yet. I wouldn't use them on my RV though.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Busboy if you have 16" rims and axle weights less than 6000 lbs.

The Rib is a Great Tire for Trailer use. Goodyear patterned their G Rated tires on the Rib long time ago.

After having three flats between Melbourne Florida and Ingleside Texas in 2010 running E Rated Marathons, (No Trailer Damage) I went to G Rated Goodyears next time around at 90PSI and never had another problem. So if you have E's go to G's. Ran 5 years on them. Traded Trailers to a Bigger one that had 8000 lb axles on it that required G rated Tires by the Builder. It had H rated Goodyear tires on it built 37th week of 2013. Still have one more year before change out to new ones.

Goodyear reduced their tire period warranty from 5 years on the E rated and G Rated tires to 4 years. So if you have a blowout and the tires are in date, and the tire caused the problem, Goodyear will pay for the repairs to the trailer if its proven the tire was at fault. To make a claim, take the tire to a Goodyear corporate store, and file a claim. The tire will be transported to Akron Ohio for inspection. If the tired caused the problem your claim will be paid. Its like having tire insurance.

So get off those Towmax Chinese Bombs and get on a better tire. Marathons were made in China as well. The H rated Goodyear is rated for 75 MPH and 4750 lbs or capacity, if I remember right.

The Michelin Rib is also a great tire, but Michelin don't care about a flat that caused damage to your trailer when the tire fails because of its construction.

Dave
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also a believer that ST trailer tires are poorly made and I only run LT tires on my trailers. Living in AZ the heat and age are major factors in trailer tire failure, I never run mine past 5 years. The only ST tires I ran recently were the chinese bombs that came on my 14K car hauler back in 2006, they were rotted and the tread warped within 3 years. I replaced them with a set of LT tires (Hankook Dynapro HT in 235/85R16) that lasted 5 years in the heat. I do use vinyl covers on mine to prevent sun exposure.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Friends don`t let friends buy ST tires.
Haven`t had a tire failure since switching to LT load range E skins.