3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad luck, No luck or What luck!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Bad luck, No luck or What luck!

Preface: I am keeping my truck stock. The End.

Recently I had posted about the Hypetech Max Energy e-Con module. After talking to Hypertech I talked my F-N-L into getting one. Now seeing that I would be the one putting it on for him, and it was coming to my address....it only seems right that I try it first. Of course to make sure if there aren't any glitches or problems. I have patience and can handle those. Him, not so much.

So, I hook it up and like the H/T guys said, it needed to be updated right away. Six minutes later I'm back in the truck and starting to download. A few selections and THIRTEEN minutes later (Smarty on my 06 was only six minutes)I'm ready to test it out.

Sidenote here: I was expecting a choice of Tuning A or B. Two choices. I had a choice of Stage 1, 2 or 3. HMMMMMM?!

Anyways, I drive it a few days and notice a little more pep on take off and noticeable timing rattle. Goodbye quiet truck. I switch it to B and try again. More pickup and more rattle. Watch the mileage thingy and it reads about one mpg higher than usual with my normal routine. Hand calc is lower. So try another tank and really mind how I drive it. Same thing. Mpg is lower. Alright, I don't like the rattle and the mileage is not any, let alone alot better. Just for fun I decide to check and see if maybe Stage 3 will not be allowed and say blocked or something else. It loads just fine. The takeoff is nice and it gets to speed quick, but hammer down is impressive and once it clicks into 4th gear it is really strolling. Sweeping the needle and covering real estate fast. I know with the Smarty it would have been rolling smoke doing this, and since I saw no smoke, I can only imagine that the DPF is filling up fast.

Time to call these guys. So I get a friendly english speaking person on the other end and proceed to give him the part # and serial # from the unit. To his suprise as well as mine somehow the update I did from their site gave the unit the Max Energy program. His explanation involved him asking some basic questions such as how was your mileage? So he then says, well sir we can do one of two things. We can retune yours to be the e-con programming or you can just keep what you have with the higher power tuning. How about that for luck.

Now you decide, is it Bad luck, No luck or What luck.

Chris
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would bet the E-Con settings would give better mileage but since I'm a Motorhead I would say No luck. It's not a good thing that you got the performance programs when you were probably going for better mileage, but the extra power is nice and if the OH isn't lying then you still gained some mpgs. I would have said Good Luck but you didn't claim whiplash like power with it on level 3...

I also think that you are right on with your assumption that the DPF is filling up quick. So, when did you say yours was supposed to be delivered???
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always had bad luck with exhaust systems and associated items. I'm gonna leave this one as is. To prevent any unhappiness with a different sound, tone or new rattle. Then there was all that engine noise. It sounded like a 5.9.

I can't claim whiplash but the surge that came on after 4th gear was moving me into the seat pretty well. I can't lie, it put a little smile on my face. I just don't like the idea of all that smoke stopping in the middle.

The mileage I would reset the OH and it would hover in the high teens and then drop to around 16 quick. It was like it was in regen everytime I got above 50. Yes, like it is supposed too, but I would have thought every 400 miles or so. Not continuously.

Chris
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really happy with mine as it is now. For you, I would suggest a Rokktech crank sensor for a slight off the line boost in power. I can definitely feel a difference and honestly cannot believe nobody else is running one yet. I think that it is the reason my mileage went up so high when I finally did the deletes. I still have no plans for more power although on occasion I do miss being able to punch it and really move out! This truck still moves out pretty well even stock...
I can't remember though, have you tried unplugging your EGR?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I remember, your father in law wanted better mileage from a programmer. I say bad luck. Get the e-con programming and test IT out to verify that it is, indeed, giving you increased fuel economy. If it doesn't, return it. The nice, english speaking people at Hypertech shouldn't have a problem refunding for a product that doesn't perform as advertised.