Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailers/Insurance/Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailers/Insurance/Etc...

So I went to pay my insurance bill this morning, and took along the title for my dump trailer so I could get a policy for it...I mean I'd hate for my $6K trailer to get swiped, ya know....I was surprised to learn that the trailer is only covered for Liability when hitched up....Anyway, They said that my trailer MAY be commercially rated, and if so I'd have to apply for a commercial policy....Hmmmmm....

So the title is in my name, not a business name....Since I dont own a business (yet) the policy will also be in my name, along with the truck/house/life policies I already have...And of course there were the standard questions: Will it be used in connection with my occupation-NO, Will it be used beyond 50 miles from my home-NO, Will it ever be rented or loaned-NO (little white lie)

So I wont know for sure for about a week, after corporate decides whether or not I own a commercial trailer....No rate quote for a commercial policy, but they estimated it would be 2-3 times higher...Anyone else run into this?? What was the outcome...State Farm Insurance-FWIW
Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my truck in april and went to go insure it at state farm I asked how trailers were insured. Liablity coverage extends to the trailer with sate farm atleast. Anything beyond that is extra. I asked if there was a max wiegh at which you need liablity coverage for a trailer and then I got asked all kinds of questions. I'm looking into a open flatbed car/equipment trailer. When I told them that they got really snippy with me. and went off on this if you can't use if for a bussiness etc. However i got the answer I needed. I have got that alot with state farm when i ask questions. I must be approaching the grey areas.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:00 PM

When I insured my trailer, pic in gallery, I asked specifically for an insurance policy for fire/theft, period.

Everything else is covered thru my truck insurance. I asked for replacement value only for fire/theft and that's what I got, no other questions asked. All I had to provide were pics of how it was locked up when not attached to the truck.....mainly show that I am doing everything possible to keep it mine.

Now when it sits in the driveway, I don't even think about it rolling away because it's insured. Full replacement, $15,000 for $180 a year.

Jeff
Old 07-20-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run both trucks and trailers thru state farm on a commercial policy and it was cheaper then personal.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:21 AM

Some insurance companies are really dumb. I have everything I own through Missouri Farm Bureau. If I need something insured I tell them what the use is and they don't ask questions. If they give you bunk about this I'd tell em to stick it and find somebody else.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had State Farm for personal. They told me they didn't offer commercial, so down the road I went. Believe me, you don't want to pay the commercial price if you're not really using it to make a living. Try Progressive.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 AM

I've been with this agent ever since I started driving, and my family has been there for over 20 years....This isnt the kind of thing to make me drop them, but I'm not gonna pay triple either....It's up to corporate, so I'm just waiting......

I'l be making a buck or two here and there, but I sure wont be making my living using it...

Supposedly the VIN on the trailer tells them if it is commercially rated or not....Can I find this info on Carfax or some other source???
Old 07-23-2006, 09:12 AM

Just tell them it is for personal use only. How would they ever know that it "might" be used for commercial use unless you have signs all over your truck or trailer when they take a peek. Besides, if it's not being used commercially at this point, then you shouldn't have to pay for commercial insurance. Down the road, you may need to update your policy if you decide it is for business use.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM

I finally received my policy from state farm...It came as private use, not commercial, and costs me $88 a year...Cool