Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need DTR Member input regarding Insurance Claim - American Family Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need DTR Member input regarding Insurance Claim - American Family Insurance

Howdy folks! Please take a minute and read below, need input!

I need some help / advice / recommendations from the general community here. I'll keep this short and to the point.

I was involved in two MVA's, (1/3/05 & 1/3/06), neither my fault. The first claim is with the at fault parties company, Allstate, and I have counsel on that. The second accident's at fault driver did not have insurance, so I am going to my insurance company (American Family) for un-insured claim (UIM). The second accident exhasburated the injuries from the first accident badly.

I have been treating for two years now and have seen over 7 different Doctors ranging from 2 PCP's, Chiro, Accupuncture, 3 types of PT (including Rolfing) and two Physiatrist (pain management DR's) that have given 3 diffent types of injections to try and resolve the muscle spasms (my whole back basically). My only option left is to take pain meds for the rest of my life, and these spasms aren't stopping.

AM FAM has been giving me the run around big time. They have my entire file, my medical is well over $18k+ and my UIM coverage max is $25k.
Both times I have given all current med records and AM FAM had ordered them too. Both review's by AM FAM only are offering $6k total w/o thier medical review and a IME. The Claim adjuster has said to me directly on the phone she has reviewed my files and feels/recommends to her super that they pay the policy MAX. She said if it was still where she could write that amount check, she would have already. Her supervisor doesn't want to or 'doesn't agree' and is offering just a 1/4 of the MAX ($6k vs. $25k) for immediate payout. Allstate first offered me that ($6k) only 5 months into the first accident. Now it's been 2 years of treatment, 1 full year of daily medications (3 types) and I am thinkin' that $6k is becoming the 'industry standard' for paying out anymore as other I have talked to have the same offer from other claims with insurance companies.

I am about to either begin calling and complaining up the ranks or go after them for Bad Faith through the court. Has anyone on here had first hand claim experience w/ AM FAM, know a relative within AM FAM that can offer suggestions? I am not using an Attorney on this AM FAM claim and feel snow balled because of it.

Thanks for your help, I don't know where else to turn. Please reply or PM me if you have any input!

John
Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 AM

If you go to clarkhoward.com and register on the message boards they have an insurance forum that should be able to give you help .
Old 11-25-2006, 04:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never dealt with AM FAM, but go up the chain. If that doesn't help, go to the BBB. They should be going after the uninsured motorist with a law suit. You can also go after him/her I believe.
Good luck with that, it doesn't sound fun at all.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Chapter President

- states have their own insurance board, you should contact them and get them after AmFam; Note: The states are the ones who grant licenses for each insurance company to do business within the state, so - they wield a LOT of power....
Old 11-25-2006, 10:18 AM

Yeah, the Casualty Claim Adjuster I have been dealing with has led me to believe they would be cutting a check like within a week. Then her Supervisor decides differently. It's ridiculous really, and I hope they deny me. Then it's off to court and sueing them for 'Bad Faith'.

The adjuster now has changed her tune to say 'We have six years before we have to setttle this....' Which means they have six year before the statue of limitations runs out.

Part of me is torn because I want the max payout as it will be helping achieve that CTD I have always wanted. Then again the other side of me says let them drag their feet, the court's jury will make them pay dearly.

I have injuries to my back that appear to be permenant and the only treatment I can do that helps it is taking Pain Pills. like 8 a day between 3 different kinds. It's an issue of severe muscle spasms and not bone or joint related.

Here's some interesting info. Not that I would expect the same outcome, however it indicates the 'frame of mind' insurance companies have adopted:

When Pigs Fly - American Family Story

John