Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Extendable trailers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extendable trailers...

Hope this is the right section to post this. I'm looking for anyone that has experience with extendable trailers. How are they for reliability. Where do I find one that'll haul two cars (not looking for something rated to 50k lbs )?
Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 02:49 PM
Chapter President

Re:Extendable trailers...

How much deck footage do you need for your 2 cars...a gooseneck would give you an option to use the trailer for other things...normaly if you buy a trailer at some point you will wish you had bought a longer or bigger one so if you have the money buy the size you need and add 5 ft more...Ive found many used flatbed goosenecks in the 30 ft range for under $5000...or if you need and enclosed trailer they start at $8000.00 for a 32 ft and go up from there
Old 12-31-2002, 02:51 PM

By extendable I assume you want to beable to make it longer and shorter when you don't need all the length. Personaly haven't ever found one other then for Semi's.<br><br>As for hauling 2 cars their are many goosenecks out their that can do it, just get one long enough. If you are just lookin to haul your 2 Jeeps it don't take much at all. I am looking to haul 2 REAL trucks and need a 38' trailer that is rated for 20,000#. To haul a couple of jeeps I would think a 14,000# 26-28 footer would do it. You are probably narrow enough that you can use a drop deck that is inbetween the wheels also which gets everything lower to the ground.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:03 PM
Chapter President

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ler&amp;newu=1<br><br>heres a good place to start
Old 12-31-2002, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. The reason I'm looking for extendable is so that I can fit it in the garage but then extend it to fit two Jeeps for towing. My little '99 is around 73&quot; total width, but my '97 is going to check in around 96-98&quot; total width when all is said and done. I may need a flatbed trailer, but I'd prefer to build some tube fenders over the tires on a dropdeck and just drive over them when I put the Jeeps on the trailer. The drop deck would help keep the higher CG of the '97 as low as possible during towing. I'll see if I can find that advertisement tonight - I remember the magazine it was in, and it had a picture of a crew cab Ford pulling three vehicles on the trailer, one of which was a first gen Ram dually, if that sounds familiar to anyone. Thanks again for the help, guys!<br>Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 03:11 PM

One other though is that when a normal extending trail extends their is no bed over the extension, just the frame rails.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:14 PM

Really? I hadn't even thought of that. Hmmm, guess I'll see if I can find that old ad and see if that company is still in business and see if I can find a website for them. I guess I could always just have a bolt-on bed section for after it extends. Hmmm.... Thanks for the info!<br>Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also keep in mind along with everything else a trailer that extends needs the frame to handle it and weight is the victim. Add the extra frame weight to a trailer and then you will need heavier running gear to support it and the load. Highway units use versions of these but most of the loads are awkward in size not overly heavy. PK
Old 01-01-2003, 04:54 PM

The was a company down in the states that made an &quot;extendable&quot; trailer. I may be wrong, but I think it was www.take3trailers.com. They are in Brenham, Texas. (866)-428-2533. <br>I remember seeing their ads showing a truck and trailer hauling 2 cars, then you could lock the trailer brakes, pull the truck forward and the trailer would grow enough to load another car. I don't know if they still make them or it's an optional add on for their trailer line. They do build some nice equipment. <br>Hope it helps.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:08 AM

Thanks, Homestead. I'll give them a ring. I found the ad last night - it's &quot;Hide-a-bed&quot; trailers. Here's a website - http://www.hideabed.com/hd4.htm - does anyone know if the actual bed of the trailer extends on these or just the little portion that raises up by the cab? It lists the length as 31' to 53', but I don't know if this is just a measurement of deck space including the raised portion or what?? Anyone have experience with these?<br>Chris
Old 01-03-2003, 10:20 AM

I was just looking at them the other day, the hide-a-bed, the bed doesn't shorten up no, just the upper deck moves out of the way.<br><br>Reason I was looking is their was one on e-bay, just ended last night, never meet reserve though. I was really thinking about biding on it, but didn't know if that was really what I wanted.<br><br>Here is the E-Bay Auction
Old 01-04-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=11;threadid=9019;start=0#87838 date=1041610850]<br>I was just looking at them the other day, the hide-a-bed, the bed doesn't shorten up no, just the upper deck moves out of the way.<br><br>Reason I was looking is their was one on e-bay, just ended last night, never meet reserve though. I was really thinking about biding on it, but didn't know if that was really what I wanted.<br><br>Here is the E-Bay Auction<br>[/quote]<br><br>This trailer extends from 31 feet to 53 feet and the car on the nose also raises up. It also has 18 inch flip-outs