Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th wheel or travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel or travel trailer

Now that my CTD has arrived it is time to go shopping for an RV. We're having a tough time deciding whether to go 5th wheel or trailer. Are there owners out there who have pulled both, and are able to give me some of the pros and cons of each? Thanks and Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2002, 11:14 PM
DPG

Re:5th wheel or travel trailer

mikejorn:

I've owned both. I had a 30' travel trailer, and now I own a 30' fifth wheel. The fifth wheel gets my vote. With a travel trailer, if you buy a 30' trailer, you are getting 27' of trailer and 3' of tongue. With the fifth wheel, you get 30' of trailer,so for the "same" length you get more trailer with the fiver. Also, the fiver is very much easier to hitch and unhitch. You don't have spring bars and anti sway devices to worry about. The fifth wheel tows with more stability. Even with the antisway bars on my travel trailer, I could feel sway, especially in high winds, or when being passed by the big rigs.
I also feel that the basic hitching mechanism of the fifth wheel is a more secure method than hanging all of that weight off the back of the bumper. If you are going to be putting some miles on with the camper behind, I think that you would be happier with a fifth wheel. I know that I am. For a comparable length, you will pay more for the fiver and the fiver will be heavier. There is more frame involved in the fiver because of it's shape, but it is still a better deal. JMHO.

Good luck!!!

DeWain
Old 12-25-2002, 08:05 AM

We've had several different combinations to go with, from slide ins to popups to trailers and now the fifths. We are on our second fifth wheel and I can't think of any reason I would go back to a trailer. The fifths pull much better on the road and once you get used to the different pivot point, you can put a fifth in a much tighter spot than a trailer. I vote for the fifth wheel.<br> But whichever you choose, enjoy it.<br><br>Bill
Old 12-25-2002, 08:07 AM

After pulling both I recommend the fiver for all the reasons listed above. However bear in mind that when you buy a 30 foot travel trailer you end up with 26 feet of living space because the A frame up front is calulated in the length. With a fiver, almost all the 30 feet is living space. For the extra cost of the fiver you do get more living space and in an RV that is good.

However with a fiver you do lose some cargo carrying space in your truck. No doubt a compromise either way but a fiver gives me more of what I want. Probably the biggest plus for me is the easier towing of the fiver. Make a list of what YOU want and go from there.

Merry Christmas. Casey
Old 12-25-2002, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

My vote goes to 5th wheel too I have 2 of them a 31 ft and a 36 ft one in Georgia and one in PA....I live in my 5er's they take side winds much better and over all I prefer having the full length of it useable with the bedroom over the hitch...and the 5th puts the trailer weight onto the truck better..over the truck axel and not behind the axel..and it seems the 5er's hold there dollar value better then the tag-alongs
Old 12-25-2002, 08:26 AM

Hello Mikejorn I'm sure what ever you buy you will enjoy.<br> I've towed about everything there is to tow from the tiney tent camper (smaller than a pop up) to the large 5er's.<br> In my opinion there is nothing easer to tow than a 5th wheel you can get that in spots where you could not fit a tag along 1/2 the size. I have a 36 foot Holiday Rambler 5er that tows so nice you some times almost forget it there. Also I agree with the guys above I think too that they are safer to pull, an a lot less hassel to hook an unhook.<br> In a lot of states people are allowed to ride in a 5th wheel but no state allows riders in tag alongs(that I know of) so that tells me that te 5er is safer.<br> What ever you buy enjoy an hope to see you camping sometime. <br> MERRY CHRISTMAS<br> BOB
Old 12-25-2002, 11:16 AM

I have had both and the 5th wheel is much better ride, safer and easier to tow.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the guys above,,, I've pulled both and I'll NEVER go back to pulling a tag-along TT. Our 30' 5er with the push-outs on both sides, tows like a dream. It's true, I can't take my Harley in the back of the truck anymore, but there is still room for plenty of gear as long as it doesn't stick up above the bed.<br><br>PS,,,,, I'm still gonna figure out how to take my bike without having to buy a Toyhauler type rig,,,,, Just give me time! ;D ;D
Old 12-25-2002, 07:24 PM

thanks all for your feedback--it is unanimous for the 5th wheel.<br><br>Truth is, I had a 5th wheel and a 2001 CTD, and on our way south last March, we hit black ice in Michigan near Mt Clemens.<br><br>The entire rig at one point was doing 50 with the trailer leading--strong sidewinds started the spin.<br>We went off the road going backwards. The trailer jacknifed and flipped, crushed the back of the cab down, and we all came to a stop when the side of the truck hit a tree.<br><br>Miraculously neither my wife or I were hurt ( I think the truck saved our lives) but truck and 5th wheel were instant write-offs.<br><br>I'm now shopping with the insurance money and my spouse wonders if a tag along travel trailer might have avoided what happened to us.<br><br>Your responses indicate that the 5th wheel is the way to go---I think we will heed your advice and insights and go that way.<br><br>If there were any positives to that accident, I at least got what I feel is a much nicer truck with the 03 model compared to the 01.<br>My wife sure enjoys the quiet---fewer sarcastic shots from the neighbours about my waking them up with the Cummins.<br><br>Once again, thanks and best of the season to all<br><br>Mike Jorna
Old 12-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Chapter President

Glad to hear both you and your wife where ok after the crash..I feel your accident mite have been worst if you where pulling a tag along...tag alongs can come unhitched and cause others to become involed in accidents along with you...I feel safer looking at a 20000 lb rated 5er hitch or a 30000 lb rated gooseneck hitch then a 8-10000 lb rated ball hitch.... :
Old 12-25-2002, 09:12 PM
DPG

pappyman is right. The fiver setup is more stable under almost all conditions. I'm glad that you and your wife came out OK. Good luck with your new truck and in your new RV search.<br><br>DeWain
Old 12-26-2002, 09:34 AM

You can reassure your wife, that accident would probably have been worse with a tag. The fifth puts more weight on your drive axle, and there's way less sway. They back better and tow &quot;shorter&quot;. The effective towing length of my 27' fifth is only 2 feet longer than the boat trailer for my 16' ski boat. And its easier to back than the boat trailer. I wouldn't tow anything other than a fifth given a choice.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:32 PM

i have a 28' dutchman 5er and pull it with my '03 2500 HD and it pulls very well--with the 5er you can get into a tighter spot--and the ride is much better-also if you plan on pulling a boat or something behind it-some states do not allow you to tow 2 bumper pulls togather but allow a 5er and a bumper pull----just a little info
Old 12-29-2002, 10:13 AM

mikejorn, The 5er gets my vote. I hasve owned the following lengths of travel trailers, 16', 17', and 25'. I now own 30' 5er. with travel trailers you must be very careful about loading to prevent sway, fish-tailing. The floor plan of some travel trailers makes some more prone to sway than others. I have seen some accidents of travel trailers caused by uncontrolled sway and they are not a pretty sight.<br><br>As far as towing and fuel consumption, my 25', 5000# TT gave the same fuel mileage as my 30', 10800# 5er. Mileage is determined to a great extent by the overall wind resistance of the combination. The exposed front of my 5er has an aerodynamic end cap (rounded) and is closer to the truck cab. The 25' TT front was nearly flat in comparison and about 6' farther from the truck cab.<br><br>If you have never towed before, you will have a more secure feeling with the 5er on the road.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:28 PM

HI, new here . I'll agree with all the rest on 5er, I have a 33' sandpiper, 9,000 lbs,pulls great handles great, BUT, that dreaded word at the end of most lines, If you pull a 5er you can't haul a golfcart/ motercycle/4wheeler, etc, Bed of truck full of hitch, enjoy whichever you decide, luck

Quick Reply: 5th wheel or travel trailer