Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th wheel or travel trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:5th wheel or travel trailer

That is one of the reasons why I decided on a Long Bed this time.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 PM

[quote author=Natman link=board=11;threadid=8776;start=0#87396 date=1041539308]<br>HI, new here . I'll agree with all the rest on 5er, I have a 33' sandpiper, 9,000 lbs,pulls great handles great, BUT, that dreaded word at the end of most lines, If you pull a 5er you can't haul a golfcart/ motercycle/4wheeler, etc, Bed of truck full of hitch, enjoy whichever you decide, luck<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah that's the main reason I went with a travel trailer instead of a fifth wheel, cargo space. With a 4 year old and another one on the way, the bed of my truck is always full of toys, bikes, firewood, etc. I expect though, years down the road when the kids are grown, I will make the switch to a 5er!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:18 PM

We tow a 27 ft tag along with the Hensley Arrow hitch ;D ;D
It is easy to manoeuvre and tows like a dream. I have been able to hitch up and go or unhitch at almost a full 90 degrees.
With the built in weight distribution is spreads the weight evenly over all the axles.
It tows so well you can forget it’s behind you.
You don't have to climb over the side of a wet box and risk scratching the paint :'( to release the hitch or check that it is locked correctly. You have the full box of the truck to do with, as you please no hitch to remove or flip when carrying a load of stuff. No risk of hitting the cab (short box).
With double and triple slides now available in many tt you can have all the space you could need or want with no stairs and full height ceilings throughout your unit.
Do not write off a tag along as they tow as well or better then a fiver when you use a Pull rite or Hensley Arrow hitch.

http://www.nosway.com/

http://www.pullrite.com/
Old 01-04-2003, 10:23 PM

[quote author=driver link=board=11;threadid=8776;start=15#88382 date=1041725907]<br> <br>You don't have to climb over the side of a wet box and risk scratching the paint :'( to release the hitch our check that it is locked correctly. You have the full box of the truck to do with, as you please no hitch to remove or flip when carrying a load of stuff. No risk of hitting the cab (short box).<br>With double and triple slides now available in many tt you can have all the space you could need or want with no stairs and full height ceilings throughout your unit. <br> <br>[/quote]<br><br>If you see someone climbing over the sides of their truck, to to release or hook up their fifth wheel, you are watching someone who doesn't know the first thing about using a 5er hitch. Stay away from them as they are an accident looking for a place to happen. Hooking up or unhooking a 5er can be done with one hand with no lifting or straining.<br><br>From a safety standpoint in most states it is legal for passengers to ride in a 5er. Most states don't permit riding in a travel trailer no matter how it is equipped. In all the years towing a travel trailer I only experienced one situation where we were in an almost uncontrolable sway. By maintaining a cool head and practiced recovery techniques I was able to stop the sway.<br><br>We did not continue our trip until I evaluated the situation, and took the necessary steps to remove the cause. The more complex a hitching system is the greater the chance of failure. Now hitch is fool proof, not even a Hensley.