Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Advise on 5th wheel travel trailers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on 5th wheel travel trailers.

Looking at USED 5th wheels.Many different brands and names.Mallards/Prowlers/Green Rivers and it goes on and on.What are some of the top of the line brands/models.Of course water leaks are a big concern of mine.Have not considered NEW due to the what appears HUGE depreciation of new travel trailers.Will be used at times for full timing rv living.How about some advice? Plus whats the best/cheapest way to use a goeesneck and a 5th wheel in the same truck with ease?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Hounddog
What are some of the top of the line brands/models.
When you say top of the line, make sure you couple that with HEAVY. The top ones will need lots of truck as you move up a bit in size. Some top brands:

Teton (now closed but still a good rig) - - - NuWa (temporarily, maybe permanently closed) - - - Newmar - - Travel Supreme (closed) - - Carriage, open and doing good - - Excel. Most any of those above a 32'er will need a 1 ton, preferably a dually.

Look for wall construction first - - is it framed or bonded. Framed is the best, but heavier and most expensive. Then look under it - - is it sealed and insulated for cold weather traveling? Check the frame and, on the heavier rigs, look for double axles with G tires.

Used is definitely the way to go. Lots of rigs out there with hardly any usage at a great price. Now is the time to buy.

Bob
Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM

For the goose neck/5th combo take a look at B&W. They have a turnover ball setup and then you buy the B&W companion which is a 5th wheel hitch that replaces the goose neck ball.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My gooseneck has a removable round post and you can have a ball or a 5ver pin. I just use a 5ver pin and use the same hitch for both RV and gooseneck. That way no switching. AS for RV's I like the ones with hydraulic slides, my Cardinal had them and I just loved them compared to the electric ones. Much faster and smoother. My new 5ver is a Titanium made by Glendale (elex slides Yuck) but has the patented front that gives you about an extra 5-6 feet for free so to speak plus the added aerodynamic bonus. I would also look for one that has an aluminum truss roof as they can't rot as easy from water damage.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Spent the last two years in a single slide Durango. Wintered out last year in Wyo. this year looks like NW N. Dakota (Rockin The Bakken). No complaints so far even in -18 last year. Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:33 PM

Mobile Suites is another top of the line maker. Larger size and heavy. Make a good full timing rig.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Tetons are nice.

I think it smart to buy used, as new ones loose a bunch of value, and almost everyone who gets an RV learns from the first one what they really want...

Going to an RV show to see a bunch of brands at once is a good idea. Take a digital camera and start photos of each unit with a shot of the poster that says what it is and how mucn (they will run together). Make a list of a few you like, then cruise classifieds and internet.

One other way to judge quality is to remove some drawers in the kitchen. You will see pressboard and staples on the really cheap ones. Particle board and photo-laminate wood grain, maybe with real wood doors on the medium ones, and the nicer ones fit for full timing will be plywood and mitered or even dove tailed...

I like my B&W with the Companion 5th wheel. It pivots 4 ways, has a good range of up/down and fore/aft adjustability, and it is easy to confirm visually that the jaws are locked on the pin. It requires a 3/4" socket to remove or install, though, but a big plus is no rails in the bed when you take it out.

If you can afford it, though, next time I'd like to go with one of the air ride hitch systems. Smoother ride, and easier on the 5th wheel...

I would suggest avoiding those adapters to convert a 5th wheel trailer to attach to a goose ball. They multiply the force on the trailer's frame like a cheater bar...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there are some factors we really need to know to give you the best advice, like budget, size, and features. There are many great deals to be had right now in both new and used. Its not uncommon to be able to get a new unit at 40+% of retail right now. Right now the biggest problem I have seen in the used market is with late model units people paid much more for them than they are now and are upside down in there rv's and can't sell them at the current market value.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 PM

I noticed MANY look the same but lots of different price tags.I looked at Mobile Suites just a little while ago.Look like most of the others except interior is higher end.I hope for the price there's more to it then that.I really don't want to have to use a dually to pull with either.Can't stand driving dually around for normal transportation after unhooking.Also LOTS of different models with all kinds of model numbers like BA B AS etc.I'm sure it separates models and equipment but definition to the terms is elusive.Most of the ads with specs don't list weight either.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Take a look at the Cameo Fvers very nice but expensive outfits.

Just remember: There are two kinds of campers.. Ones that leak and the ones that are going too.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:28 PM

That water leak thing bothers me.But your right.Any middle of the road price range Fvers that hold up ok?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM

I like my Coachmen. There are a few things they could have done better, but all in all I'd say its a good unit.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Pulling a Citation, Canadian version of General Coach. Pulls good, decent quality. Water problems can be caught with an open eye, and an un-corked caulking (not silicone) gun
Old 11-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Ooops. Forgot to mention, http://rv,net is a gold-mine of info. This question comes up often.

Quick Reply: Advise on 5th wheel travel trailers.