Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brakes

How hard is it to install trailer brakes. I don't have them yet, but I would rather have them if I need them than not have them at all. Truck is a 03 CTD Quad Cab 4x4
Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 AM

Hi chad,
Do you mean you want to install a brake controller on the truck or trailer brakes on a trailer?

If you want to install a trailer brake controller on your truck, did the truck come with a tow package? If so, there should be a pigtail that you plug into a plug under the dash and then the other end goes to the brake controller (at least on the 2nd gen's with a tow package).

~Rob
Old 05-18-2006, 08:13 PM

The truck does have a tow package on it, so I guess it would be the controller. Sounds pretty easy to do, I assume connecting the controller would be just as easy as connecting trailer wires in the backend. Find the plug and connect them. Can anyone tell me roughly how much the controller cost?

TIA,
Chad
Old 05-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Chad,

Controllers are like trucks - - they come in all sizes and colors, some are expensive and some not so much. Now, which one is the best - - that is easy and anyone can answer it. Whichever one is installed on their truck is the best - - no question about it!!!!

Here is a quick recap of probably the most popular three in order of what seems to be what everyone that has them thinks of them.

1) Brakesmart. Ties into the hydraulic line of the truck brakes to monitor brake fluid pressure. Seems to be very smooth and well liked. It is the most expensive running something like $500.

2) Jordan Ultima. Uses a sensing wire attached to the brake pedal to monitor the position of the brake pedal. It applies trailer brakes accordingly. Very smooth, no quirks, works just like your truck brakes. Cost about $120.

3) Prodigy. Uses a bending arm system to monitor the truck deceleration and applies brakes accordingly. Can be quirky and jerky, but overall a good unit. Easily found at most RV suppliers. Cost - - about $120.

I have used three controllers. First a time based (forget about it - horrible), then the Prodigy, and now the Jordan. I have not used the Brakesmart so I cannot speak for it. As for the difference between Jordan and Prodigy, the Jordan is much smoother without surprises. My Prodigy rides in my storage compartment as a backup perchance . . . . ??????

You can do a "search" on the subject of "brake controllers" and find volumes written on them.

Bob
Old 05-21-2006, 11:53 PM

thanks for the info, it was very useful.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:38 AM

From my own research I completely agree with FiverBob. I have the Prodigy. I wanted the Jordan Ultima but at the time they didn't have a unit compatible with adjustable brake pedals.

No matter which you choose, be sure to get a proportional controller, NOT a time based unit.
Good luck!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:06 PM

I haven't run the Jordan. But, do enjoy my Prodigy. Found it on Ebay for $90 +/-.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Arrow

I also have the Prodigy brake controller. This brake controller has three boost levels (b1, b2, b3) for heavier trailers. It seems to work very well. I use b2 when pulling my 35' rv.