Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing in OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and I forgot, I tow in OD all the time, the only thing you have to watch for is that it isnt hunting for a gear,,, keep your eye on the tach, if it starts to jump up and down, lock out the OD, you will be fine...

Oh and one more thing, it has been proven (it was even tested on Mythbusters) that running with your tailgate down will actually decrease your fuel mileage with all other things equal. It has to do with some aerodynamics issues that they discussed in the Mythbusters program. Hope it helps

Kevin
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Wow, what a great forum, to be learning from all you knowkedgable people.. Thanks for sharing your expertise & experiences with me.. All this time I thought only a chip was available for 1998 & up.. I just browsed & happened to come across this forum.. Best browsing I ever did..
John
Old 04-30-2007, 07:55 PM

I also tow in OD at speeds above 50mph. Under 50 i turn the od off and lock the TC with the mystery switch. Since I put in the 370 injectors i cannot lock the TC up under 50 mph in OD or I get stumble.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:22 PM

I had the #6 plate and 3K GSK kit put in at the same time and it runs awesome. Later I put in the injectors. The 3gsk kit will work with the #6 plate.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
I had the #6 plate and 3K GSK kit put in at the same time and it runs awesome. Later I put in the injectors. The 3gsk kit will work with the #6 plate.
That's great, I sure don't know why TST are telling me that, instead of trying to make a sale.. I ordered a 3GSK from City Diesel.. Should be here within a week, & my #6 kit was shipped last Thurs..

I'm just going to be running empty till fall, maybe bringing home a few sheets of plywood etc. 65 mph on the highway, we live 10 miles out of the city. Can I put my gauges in later ?, as I won't be working the truck too hard. I want to order the kit where the gauges mount on the windshield pillar...I guess they call it Pillar Mount from Glow Shift Gauges.. Got to do this as money becomes available.. SHEESH...
John
Old 05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by morkable
Oh and I forgot, I tow in OD all the time, the only thing you have to watch for is that it isnt hunting for a gear,,, keep your eye on the tach, if it starts to jump up and down, lock out the OD, you will be fine...

Oh and one more thing, it has been proven (it was even tested on Mythbusters) that running with your tailgate down will actually decrease your fuel mileage with all other things equal. It has to do with some aerodynamics issues that they discussed in the Mythbusters program. Hope it helps

Kevin
That was really interesting. They did that test twice on two different shows based on the complaints the first time. The first time, the tests showed what the factory says - at highway speeds, the best mileage they got was with the gate up. They got less mileage with the gate down and less mileage with a tonneau. Lots of complaints.

The second show, they removed the gate completely and put up a net at the end, left the gate up and tried the tonneau. This time the net (and no gate) won the contest. I have to feel the weight of the gate had to do something with it.

I'm not sure I agree with their testing methodology all of the time. They tested the myth that you get better gas mileage with the windows up and the AC on then if the windows are down. Problem was, they used two identical but different cars. They should have used the same car. If you've red the posts about fuel mileage here, I think you'll agree.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by superuke
May I ask where in Sask. you live??

John
Regina area. You?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ib516
Regina area. You?
Prince Albert.. I get to Regina periodically.. Got a son there, & a sis.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Well as a follow up to my previous posts, & upon everyone's advice I ordered the following,
1. Pillar mount gauges, Pyro, Boost, & Trans. from Glow Shift
2. 3GSK from City Diesel
3. #6 kit from TST
4. Cooler line to add the trans sender from Diesel Manor

The #6 kit should be here today or tomorrow, & the rest by early next week.. In the near future I want to get the dowel Pin Kit, & a Turbo timer, & then the fun begins..
John
Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 PM

I would do the dowl pin kit asap.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 74dart
I would do the dowl pin kit asap.
Thanks much, I just ordered it.. What is the mystery switch you got to lock up your TC. Or can you share the mystery??
Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Just do a search on here for mystery switch. All it is, is a switch that fools the Tq convertor to be locked all the time, even when it wants to unlock. There are certain caveats to be aware of when using it, like that you have to make sure you turn it back off when you come to a stop or your engine will stall. But for the most part it is an awesome upgrade on the cheap for trucks that are doing alot of towing. The benifits include, and are not limited too, less heat in tranny, better engine braking (especially if you get an exhaust brake sometime down the road), better fuel mileage

Kevin
Old 05-23-2007, 02:20 AM

Superuke, how have you made out with your installs so far? I imagine you must have most of them buttoned up and ready to run. Any first impressions. Drop by when you have ran them. Wanna hear how it all turned out for you. Scotty
Old 05-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by beretzs
Superuke, how have you made out with your installs so far? I imagine you must have most of them buttoned up and ready to run. Any first impressions. Drop by when you have ran them. Wanna hear how it all turned out for you. Scotty
Hi, our weather has been the physical s#%ts.. rain, cold, more rain, more cold, todays a nother day, but the same weather.. I just about go the gauges finished, but the rest of the stuff, plate, 3 GSK, & KDP are still in the mail somewhere... Probably held up at Customs, or the brokers.. I think they're figuring out how much to hit me with lol.. I'll get at 'em soon as they get here, but even then, at my age I ain't too swift anymore..
John
Old 05-25-2007, 01:17 AM

gauges

got my gauges all working today, but didn't totally complete them.. 2 gauges have to be sent back, & they're sending replacements, so once they're here I will finalize installation.. Just wanted to make sure I wired them properly..
Everything is sure slow in getting here..