Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck towing vs. tag towing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck towing vs. tag towing?

I am considering departing from a 14 foot tag along trailer for my lawn/landscape business. I am looking hard at two options, one being a 20-24 foot enclosed, or a 20 to 25 foot Gooseneck. It would likely be 20 foot in a low profile, and a 25 foot deckover with 5 foot being a dove tail. I like the big deck of the deckover, but the added length is a concern.

I tow in town much of the time, many tight and small streets are encountered 1-2 days a week, with the rest of the days involveing wider streets and places to manuver, at least for the most part.

I know the Goose will turn tighter and ride better, but could you fellas give me thoughts on how different it will be to drive a gooseneck in town areas, busy trafic, and small tight streets? I figure anywhere else the Gooseneck will be a dream to drive, I am just unsure of the city stuff.

Will a 20 foot goose really track that much different then a 14 foot tag as far as turning and stuff? Seems like the wheel placement from the pivot point on the truck in the two different configurations may not be much different?

Thanks alot guys.
Jay
Old 02-22-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the gooseneck will cut in tighter so you need to swing out when you turnyou can back into tighter places by jackknifing it . not sure what kind of tight city driving you do. older eastcoast cities like downtown philly no. i went with a 14 ft tag along and could barelly fit. Once you go gn youll never go back
Old 02-22-2004, 08:59 PM

I don't anticipate doing alot of tight turning but there is one day on my schedual that calls for some narrow streets with some possible tight turns. It all depends on trafic really. If there are not alot of cars about, I should have room to swing around, I am just planning for worst case scenario's. I just know I would love a GN.

Any thoughts on Torsion axles vs Spring, and any other things to look for in a good quality trailer design, or construction wise?

Thanks alot
Jay
Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM

Any reputable trailer outfit SHOULD let you test pull the trailer, so why not latch onto a g/n and take it on your route? If it works, you're set.

As for torsion vs. leaf, it really depends on the terrain you plan to encounter. The leaf setup is far more suited for rough roads and large bumps (durable), while the torsion will ride like a dream either loaded or unloaded but is intended for more highway applications. Having had and serviced, both, I would just take a hard look at how/where you really plan to use the trailer, and buy the setup best suited.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:54 PM

Having used both trailer types, We haul snowcats for repairing radio sites in the winter. Originally had a tag-a-long with 7000 lb Sno-cat on it, I am now using a 20 foot gooseneck flatbed, pulling 14,000 weight. With the Gooseneck I have to look back to notice it is there, (except for the weight when stopping or pulling up a hill) The difference is, the tag along will sway, bump back and forth as your driving. You feel that weight affecting your steering because it is literally swinging the back end of your vehicle up,down, left and right, the trailer weight pulling your front axle up and pivoting on your rear axle. The gooseneck however has that weight distributed between the rear and front axle, pushing down on the axles, which keeps them on the pavement and in control. The trailer and the truck tend to move as one. The turning point is over your rear axle rather than 5 feet behind you. You can do a 90 degree turn with a gooseneck to back it in and not have it tip over, can't do that with a tag-a-long. You can get an enclosed Gooseneck, and also get an extended deck above the hitch. Make sure who ever puts in your gooseneck hitch, welds it in, not bolts it. It MUST be welded to your frame. If you electrical outlet is on the back of your truck, you can extend the cable, just make sure you drop it into the truck bed and then up to the gooseneck hitch. Don't want it to drag out in back or to catch on something when you do a 90 degree turn.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:29 PM

If I am driving on decent roads for the most part, will I notice the benifit of the torsion axles? Any ideas of manufacturers who build gn's with Torsion axles?

I was just fooling around with my 14 foot tag and thinking man do I want a GN. It is just to stinkin small. Is there any problems with adjusting the height or angle of the gooseneck with my 97 dually? My tag needs between a 6-8" drop to come close, and even then my ball is at an angle.

Thanks fellas
Jay