Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
RV tire question

Managed to shred one of my RV tires, so need a replacement. In my area the Goodyear Wrangler RTS is readily available in a 10 ply. All the tires on my RV are six ply, LT 235/85R16's. Anybody had any experience with the 10 ply Wranglers? Apparently they have a load carrying capacity of 1,400 kgs. (3086 pounds) Any problem mixing the 10 and 6 ply tires? Any problem with installing this tire on my RV rims?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure how much the trailer weighs but if i were you i would go bite the bullet and get all new tires, usually when one blows the rest are not too far behind. I have the goodyears on my trailer and they work great also will help in the sway of the trailer, will tow alot better, stiffer sidewalls.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a word of caution. I would assume that the 10 ply tires will hold more air then the 6 ply. If that is the case are the rims capable of holding the increased air pressure. I don't know how the rims are rated but I have heard this one thing to watch when swapping on higher ply rating tires.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by SWC
Just a word of caution. I would assume that the 10 ply tires will hold more air then the 6 ply. If that is the case are the rims capable of holding the increased air pressure. I don't know how the rims are rated but I have heard this one thing to watch when swapping on higher ply rating tires.
I do not think that the tire blew, but probably picked up something on the road and then drove a bit with it flat, but never felt it. I noticed it when I stopped for fuel and did my normal walk around.

Thanks for the heads up, and yes, I am aware of this. Why should I increase the tire pressure when going to more plies? Can't I just stay with the same pressure that I am using for my six ply tires?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
I do not think that the tire blew, but probably picked up something on the road and then drove a bit with it flat, but never felt it. I noticed it when I stopped for fuel and did my normal walk around.

Thanks for the heads up, and yes, I am aware of this. Why should I increase the tire pressure when going to more plies? Can't I just stay with the same pressure that I am using for my six ply tires?
load ratings (lbs) are generally based on a certain tire air pressure
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Wrangler 10 ply on my 5ver. I run then at 80psi, all tire are 4 years old and have appx 10k miles on them, not one single problem as of yet.

Tim
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any problem mixing the 10 and 6 ply tires? Any problem with installing this tire on my RV rims?

I have always believed that you never mix tires, they should always be the same. The different sizes could create different loading and hotter tires. Not to mention handling issues. I can't imagine it making a huge difference but I hate trailer sway and fixing tires on the highway. I hope to never experience either one again.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think I'd also opt for the same load rating if you are only going to replace one.

My 5th wheel also has 235-85R16's load range E (1980 pounds).

I'm about to replace them due to age. Since all are original equipment, I think I'll stick with the load range E.

The typical modular round hole 16" trailer wheel is rated for 80psi max. Usually stamped on the wheel.

If you do bump up in load rating, that might be a good excuse to bump up to some bling-bling new wheels.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 PM

The only Goodyear LT tire that I know of that Goodyear says is OK for RV use is the Wrangler HT.

They were factory equipment on my moms Alpenlite. They had nothing but problems with them. They went through 4-5 different Goodyears before my know it all step dad smartened up and quit putting the Goodyears back on their trailer.

My boat trailer had Goodyear Marathons and I had issues with them as well. They were really soft and would get a puncture if you looked at them wrong.

I'll never run Goodyears on any trailer I own again.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I have the Wrangler 10 ply on my 5ver. I run then at 80psi, all tire are 4 years old and have appx 10k miles on them, not one single problem as of yet.
Tim
Thanks. That is exactly what I was thinking of doing.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Foxborough
Any problem mixing the 10 and 6 ply tires? Any problem with installing this tire on my RV rims?

I have always believed that you never mix tires, they should always be the same. The different sizes could create different loading and hotter tires. Not to mention handling issues. I can't imagine it making a huge difference but I hate trailer sway and fixing tires on the highway. I hope to never experience either one again.
Just to clarify, I am NOT mixing tire sizes, just considering mixing tire ply ratings and was looking for pros and cons.

I know all about trailer sway and have learned how to avoid it over the years.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by SundayMoney
The only Goodyear LT tire that I know of that Goodyear says is OK for RV use is the Wrangler HT.

They were factory equipment on my moms Alpenlite. They had nothing but problems with them. They went through 4-5 different Goodyears before my know it all step dad smartened up and quit putting the Goodyears back on their trailer.

My boat trailer had Goodyear Marathons and I had issues with them as well. They were really soft and would get a puncture if you looked at them wrong.

I'll never run Goodyears on any trailer I own again.
Interesting, thanks. I did a search on the internet for tire reviews and it appears that folks either love these tires and they last for ever, or they have nothing but problems. Hmmm, now which way to go and which tires to get?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM

I don't know how easy they'd be to get based on your location,but I'd consider the BFG Commercial T/A

They are very popular as replacement tires on heavier RVs. I just put a set on my fifth wheel about 2 weeks ago.

I know TexasCTD is running them on his toy hauler as well.

As soon as my dad figures out which wheels he wants,hes gonna get a set of the BFGs for his trailer also.