Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tire Question Brand & dependability question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tire Question Brand & dependability question

Just looked at some Doral LT tires. Looking to replace my 5er wheels & tires (very well worn out & only 15" wheels now) with new ones. Got a price on 4 Doral LT 225/75R16 LR E (Weight capacity @ 80Lbs 2680 each) wheels & tires (all new) for $96 complete and balanced each. Never heard of the tire brand but was told that they are supplied on many new Travel Trailers and that is the tire I can get from the supplier that quoted the price. Any info appreciated. Bought 5er last summer and it has very rusty 15" wheels, and well worn different tires on it. 2 load range D and 2 load range C and probably less than 50% tread left. Pricing new tires locally prices start at $95 and up for tires only mounted. These included wheels and already balanced. Am I looking at problems or?

Thanks for any replies.....Don
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have any experiance with that brand either but I won't run anything but goodyears on my trailer anymore, too many tires failing before they should have. I pay just under $100 per tire, without the wheel but I'm sure they can be found cheaper.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After experiencing a $2500 tread separation on a previous 5th wheel, I changed over to the LT235/85R-16E Michelin XPS Rib (3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG). Our current 5th wheel came with Goodyear G614 RST tires in the LT235/85R-16G size (3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG).

Both of these are all steel construction radials that run significantly cooler than the fabric and steel radials of equivalent size. I've never heard of a failure of either of these tires in 5th wheel service. They're not cheap, but neither is repairing the damage to a 5th wheel RV after a tread separation.

Rusty
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 PM
GSP

I just went through the tire search thing and just put Towmasters on my 5er
Old 12-07-2005, 04:43 PM

I am with Rusty, when my tires need replacing I am going with the Michelin XPS Rib. Too much risk to ride on bargain tires. Just one man's humble opinion. Well, maybe not THAT humble.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 AM

I guess it is different running a 5ver than a service trailer. I never put new tires on. I buy old scrappers from the tires guys. Pay about 5 bucks each mounted. Only have had one blowout in 16 years. Trailer gets 35k per year. I wonder if sitting for long periods is hard on the 5ver tires?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
I guess it is different running a 5ver than a service trailer.
Yep, 5th wheel tires may spend their entire operating life running at 90% to 95% of their rated load.

Rusty
Old 12-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Another thing to consider is the LT tire is designed for a truck. The ST is designed for a trailer. The tread and casing are made especially for trailers to allow for the side slide stress put on when turning tight. The tire tread is more rounded. I just put on the Goodyears RST, radial special trailer G rated tires on my fiver. I agree this is not the place to look for a cheap tire. They do run heavily loaded all their life.

I note there are some E rated tires now coming from China that carry almost the same weight rating as my G rated tires. I know nothing about them nor how much rice is used in their construction , but some pretty high quality trailer companies are using them. The name of them is the Tow Max Power Kings. Here is some info on finding them. 1-800-238-6469 www.tbcprivatebrands.com

Bob
Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Another thing to consider is the LT tire is designed for a truck. The ST is designed for a trailer.
Bob,

While I agree with you in principle regarding trailer-specific tires, please note that the designations on both the Michelin XPS Rib and the Goodyear G614 RST in the sizes I've used are LT235/85R-16.

Rusty
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Yep, 5th wheel tires may spend their entire operating life running at 90% to 95% of their rated load.

Rusty
As opposed to my trailer which is loaded 110% all of the time. I think what kills alot of 5ver tires is the sitting.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tires

I don't use but one brand anymore. Kelly makes a very heavy sidewall tire called the Safari Commercial CSR that takes a beating driving on our chunk rock roads and I can get 55,000 miles on an highway set.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Another thing to consider is the LT tire is designed for a truck. The ST is designed for a trailer. The tread and casing are made especially for trailers to allow for the side slide stress put on when turning tight. The tire tread is more rounded. I just put on the Goodyears RST, radial special trailer G rated tires on my fiver. I agree this is not the place to look for a cheap tire. They do run heavily loaded all their life.

I note there are some E rated tires now coming from China that carry almost the same weight rating as my G rated tires. I know nothing about them nor how much rice is used in their construction , but some pretty high quality trailer companies are using them. The name of them is the Tow Max Power Kings. Here is some info on finding them. 1-800-238-6469 www.tbcprivatebrands.com

Bob
Check the speed rating on Goodyear ST tires. All are limited to 65 MPH. It is an old wifes tail that ST's are better that LT for a heavy 5th wheel. Do you post on RV.net? SNOKING
Old 12-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a XPS guy when It comes to tires of less than a G rating. Nothing better on the road. You will never wear them out, nor will have problems with them.

On a 96 3/4 ton Cummins, no towing, 92,000 miles. So I figure 120,000 miles on a fifth wheel.

Dave
Old 12-13-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trailer tires

Goodyear brought out the Wrangler MTR's and at $275-400 per, it had to be better built. They weren't as advertised. My first set went bye-bye after 28,500 miles. So much for better engineering. The dealer saw the problems we had with Goodyear tires, so we went with Michelin. They're fine on the highway, but not on rough roads. Then we switched to Cooper AT's and they lasted longer than the previous two brands. But Kelly is the best, we've had and used.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by induchman
Goodyear brought out the Wrangler MTR's and at $275-400 per, it had to be better built.
Are these 5th wheel trailer tires or tires you had on your truck? This discussion is addressing 5th wheel trailer tires. The Wrangler is a fabric-and-steel construction radial, and the Wrangler HT is normally used for 5th wheel applications. This E-rated tire is what people are changing out to the all-steel E-rated Michelin XPS Rib. The G-rated all-steel Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST isn't even remotely related to the Wrangler series of tires.

Rusty

Quick Reply: Tire Question Brand & dependability question