3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Excessive front tire inside tire wear, both sides.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive front tire inside tire wear, both sides.

Let me preface this to say "No sadly I haven't rotated my tires", I don't know if it's the ONLY reason, or, just a part of the problem.

I have put about 24K miles on the truck since it was purchased. Last rotation unknown. Rears look fine. Both fronts worn excessively on the inside. Like a camber problem. I'm going to rotate the rears to the front.

But, is there any other potential issues I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Go ahead and yell at me.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check wheel bearings and ball joints
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If both tires are worn on the inside, I would suspect the tires are toed out which scrubs the tread off the inside as it pushes the tires along down the road. You might just need a fairly simple adjustment.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM

I went to my local tire store and purchased the lifetime alignment package. you get one free alignment for life per year. That was four years ago and I have used it every year. Paid for itself by the second year. I have planned all my suspension mods or repair around that one year alignment so it has worked great. Just a suggestion if your in the market for that.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's most likely out of alignment. Spend the bux and get it done right. But, be sure and check the front end for loose and worn parts before making an appointment for an alignment.

I used to buy the lifetime alignment from Firestone, and go in every year. But they would give me the computer read out, and it stayed in alignment for years. They checked it, but never adjusted anything. I was wasting my time and money.

Now I have my own alignment tool. It's not as accurate as the laser machine at Firestone. But it's accurate enough for the spec range. I check it every time I rotate the tires- about every 8K miles. So far, I have not had to adjust anything.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I posted this same reply a few weeks back about horiffic tire wear on the front inside treads. Dealership told me for a thousand bucks they could fix it with new tie-rods and ends. I gladly said NO and went to a local body shop who has a guy that strictly deals with front-ends. For $25 they aligned it and sent me on my way......and that was over 200k miles ago with the same suposedly worn out front end parts!!! No problems since then.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
If both tires are worn on the inside, I would suspect the tires are toed out which scrubs the tread off the inside as it pushes the tires along down the road. You might just need a fairly simple adjustment.
Hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking camber, but I can see how toe out would do the same thing.

Good idea on the lifetime alignment package. I will have to go look around and see what I can get.

First I wanted to make sure there wasn't any known component that wears out causing this issue.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
For sure I'd be checking the ball joints and wheel bearings, but I would think any decent alignment shop would check things over for slop before proceeding to the alignment...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 PM

I hope the wheel bearings aren't as expensive and a PITA to replace as they were on my '97. (If that's the case).

I should just get my lift kit and do it all at once.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have 62000 on my truck and have yet to need an alignment, every time it checks within spec and that's on California roads which are horrible and in Antioch which was recently voted top ten worst kept city streets in the nation.

Almost need 4lo for the potholes around town.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$20 says they'll tell you the ball joints need replaced even if the toe is out. At 80k mi on my Mega, the balljoints have enough slop front to back that the caster is bad, but camber is still in spec. Had it aligned about 10k mi ago when I put new tires on as one of the fronts on the old set was wearing a little more to the inside and even though it was driving straight, toe was off a little bit. Told them to set the toe to zero and be done with it. Now it's not chewing up the inside of the tire.
IMO get an alignment first and don't worry about the ball joints if the camber is still near zero.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Similar problem here, with far less miles on my tires (stock size...BFG LT215/85R16). After getting epic runaround on warranty from Sam's Club (ultimately walking away from their offer to prorate... they were going to credit me based on the nearly-gone tread remaining?!), I took truck to get alignment checked - and it was near perfect, such that shop said they'd adjust it to be thorough, but that it wasn't really even necessary. Be interested to know what you hear from your alignment shop about this.

In my case, I rotated the bald fronts to the inner-dually position, to hide them from safety-inspection for now.

Even more alarming, all tires are showing big chunky rubber loss since then, as if I'm running around in 4WD on sharp stuff without knowing it or something. It's possible some of the rapid front wear happened when I wasn't being diligent about tire pressure, but that's not been the case for recently-observed rapid wear. All of this in well under 20K miles...
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM

I had my frontend rebuilt a year ago under the extended factory warentie I bought. It had around 105K on it then and now it has around 112K. The front tires where not wearing badly but enough to get my atention. I could move the tires a long ways when i jacked it up. Ever sence then the tires are cupping REAL bad in the front. They claim the aligned it at that point but apearently they dident do a very good job of it.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My dad had a truck that cupped the front tires. Everything seemed tight and the shocks were pretty new.

We pulled the shocks off, and ran them through their range of motion by hand. There was a spot at about 1/3 of their travel where there was no resistance for about 1/4".

New shocks, and problem solved. I guess we assumed it couldn't be the shocks because they were a quality brand and not that old...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Toe was set way out. Everything else was fine. Got it fixed last month.

Yesterday, snapped a tie rod end (ball joint). Damnit.