3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Truck pulling and cupping on both sides of front tires.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to do a site search. If I remember correctly there something posted earlier about the DRW's having problems with tires. You may want to have them check to see if the tires are properly mounted for the wheel position they are on. I belive that they are directional or at least the rim itself may be do to the design
Old 03-23-2004, 10:37 PM

Don't know about the groaning noise but I do know the cupping is due to the fact thats these trucks are extremely front heavy and when you turn a corner the front outside tire is loaded with alot of bodyroll and weight. Your best bet is to religously rotate your tires maybe every 3-5000 miles. Once you put the cupped tires on the rear they should wear themselves back to normal. Also check your tire pressure.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:45 AM

If you have Goodyear GSAs, make sure they are mounted with the outside to the outside. (The outside has more rubber on the tread) One member on here found that some of his tires were mounted backwards.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:10 PM

The GSA's are directional. If You look close it will say this side out on the side wall. Thick portion of the tread will be to the out side. So, if You send the front tires to the rear outside the tire will have to be turned around on the rim so that the thick portion of the tread is out side and the tire will be turning the same direction as before. these tires are directional. What I did was to buy one tire, pull the spare (still new) and that put two new on the streering axle. The spare was not white letter (thank you dc !) so the new tire i bought was black letter. I ended up with black letter on the front and white letter rear. I dont mind the difference myself, I am only interested in performance and not so much looks.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:24 PM

GSA's are not directional. They have an outside and an inside. You can swap left and right front tires, for example, and the rotation will reverse but the outside will still be on the outside, etc. Read the sidewall. Directional tires have an arrow showing forward rotational direction.
I don't know what you do with the inside tire on duals. It probably doesn't matter. Check with Goodyear or Dodge. A poor tire choice for a DRW truck IMHO.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Banned

Yes sidewall separation has been a problem on some tires. Again search here or TDR you will find posts on it.
I have a 2500 and only rotated my tires around 25k mark. They all are evenly worn (rears were more worn than the fronts but evenly) Rotating my tires every 3k would be a waste of time and effort.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by spots
[B]Yes sidewall separation has been a problem on some tires.
]
Sidewall separation is a problem with Good Year. Have not seen where any other brand has this problem on the 3rd gen trucks. I also had the 'cupping' and alignment problem on my 95 2500 4X4 with Good Year tires. The problem went away after I put Michelins on it. Have never had good service with GY.

I am going on a 4000 mile trip in about 2 weeks to Arizona to pull my heavy RV back to TN and my only worry is the sorry GY tires leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere.
It's a shame that DC will not come up with a reliable tire option on the expensive trucks they sell. Every owner should voice their complaints/dis-satisfaction to them, I know I have - strongly.