Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Register for higher weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
In Ky, both of my trucks have farm tags. I know it makes a difference, but the registration on both reads 38,000 lbs. It may be a mistake on their part, I don't know, but that's what the paper states. For that, I just said to put farm registration on them.

Originally, I just walked in and put commercial tags on the 89. The lady just asked me what I wanted it plated for.

Sure seems strange that there is so big a difference amound the different states.

Ed
The lady at the notary only does what you tell her! She doesn't know!
You should know what you need! and tell her.
Your ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Since Rick posted, I started digging. So far, can't find much in the Kentucky Revised Statutes that clearly define weights for farm vehicles. I did check with folks in 3 different counties. ALL of the registrations state 38,000 lbs.

What do some of you other guys outside of Hardin, Meade, and Breck have on your KY farm regs?

KY DOT does seem to indicate that these vehicles with this weight registration need DOT labeling for interstate commerce, but not intrastate.

I love it

For now, I guess I'll just enjoy thinking I'm golden.

Ed
Old 06-25-2006, 08:11 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what I have to abid by in oregon with my farm plates and my truck is reg to 25000lbs if i went to 26001 i would have to ge a cdl lol go figure huh.

The vehicle must be a motor vehicle.
Buses can qualify for farm registration.
For a vehicle to qualify for proportional farm registration, the vehicle must have a registration weight in excess of 8,000 lbs. Regular farm registered vehicles may have a registration weight less than 8,000 lbs.
Trailers cannot qualify for farm registration. The vehicle must be of the type designed or used to carry, convey, or move freight, articles, persons, or things over the highways. Therefore, certain vehicle types, such as fixed loads, are not eligible for farm registration.
Motor homes cannot qualify for farm registration.

Commercial Driver License Is Needed:
• Any farm-registered vehicle operating over 26,000 lbs. GVWR or GCWR that is operating beyond 150-miles of the boundary of the farm.
• Any farm-registered vehicle over 26,000 lbs. conducting operations that require an ODOT tax plate (such as for-hire operations).
• Any farm-registered vehicle towing triple trailers.
• A driver of a farm-registered vehicle over 26,000 lbs. GVWR or GCWR operating with an apportioned plate may need a CDL (depending on the state in which the farmer apportions the vehicle).

Any farmer with a farm-registered truck who intends to haul for-hire must obtain a Class 1A Permit from MCTD that authorizes partial use of the vehicle to provide for-hire transportation services. For operations within Oregon only, the farmer will obtain a paper credential called an Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier. The farmer can then conduct both farm and for-hire operations. The haul-for-hire operation is subject to motor carrier regulations, including requirements related to weight-mile tax, bond, insurance, safety, and record keeping. A farmer who hauls for-hire must keep records showing the miles the vehicle was used to haul for-hire and the miles the vehicle was used in exempt farm operations.

A Class 1A Permit allows a person to haul for-hire from point to point within Oregon. It does not, however, authorize hauling household goods or passengers and it does not authorize hauling for-hire interstate.

Farmers complete a Farm Certification Application form and pay vehicle registration fees at a DMV office. The farmer will receive a 45-day temporary from DMV and the application is forwarded for review and approval by the MCTD Farm Certification Unit. When approved, MCTD notifies DMV and instructs them to issue farm license plates and stickers. MCTD also sends a letter of approval to the farmer.

3. What’s considered a "farming operation" for which farmers can register their trucks?

A "farming operation" is a farm, orchard, or ranch that produces agricultural commodities, products, and/or livestock. A truck can be registered as a farm truck if it will be used by an owner, lessee, or renter of a farm, orchard, or ranch that is producing agricultural products or raising livestock in sufficient quantities to reasonably require the use of the truck. Several other questions about what does and does not qualify as a farm operation are answered later in this document.

4. How is a farmer allowed to use a farm truck?

Farm-registered trucks can be used in the following ways:
• Hauling the farmer’s own agricultural commodities, products, or livestock that were originally grown or raised by the farmer on his or her own farm, ranch, or orchard. This includes products or byproducts of commodities or livestock that were packed, processed, or manufactured by the farm, or for the farm, if the farmer retains ownership of the products. This does not include products that have been transformed into a finished state.
• Hauling things that are incidental to the regular operation of the farmer´s farm.
• Hauling supplies, equipment, or materials that will be consumed or used on the farmer’s farm.
• Hauling products, supplies, equipment, or materials for another qualifying farmer on a bonafide, documented exchange of labor basis if what’s hauled will be used or consumed on that farmer’s farm.
• Personal use by the farmer, any member of his or her immediate family, or any person employed by the farmer. "Personal use" includes such things as taking the boat to the lake, hauling the camper, and going to the movies or the grocery store.
• Farm trucks may be rented or borrowed by a farmer to haul his or her own agricultural commodities, products, or livestock that were originally grown or raised on his or her farm, but only if that farmer could qualify for farm registration for trucks of the type and size rented or borrowed.
• The trucks may be used to transport straw, whether or not the straw was grown on the farmer’s own farm, if the farmer hauling it is the one who bales the straw. "Straw" is defined as the stalk of grass or grain left after threshing.
• Hauling forest products to his or her farm, or hauling forest materials originating on a farm or as an incident to the regular operation of the farm. But the truck cannot be used to haul piling or poles over 30" around at the large end, or logs over 8´ 6" long. A farm-plated truck with a loaded weight of 16,000 lbs. or less may, however, transport logs over 8´ 6
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 PM

I have farm tags on all of my trucks, they all are registered at 38,000lbs. I have a class A CDL, but I can tell you the 38k registration will not allow you to legally tow over your GCVW. I found this out by going up to a KSP station and asking ?'s until they finally found someone to clarify.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That's just about what I was thinking. If I'm going to be near that weight, I am going to be using a bit more truck. That's just me tho.

As to the 38000, guess that's just the way DMV sets the farm tags.

Thanks.

Ed
Old 06-25-2006, 11:06 PM

I hate how every state has different laws. I have a 99 superduty that I had legally registered in Va for 20k pounds. They wore me out for the truck tags, then the city considered it a commercial vehicle and charged me over $700 a year on personal property tax. I told them it was for private use and sat in the driveway most of the time. They didn't care. I had to reregister it with car tags. The price of the tag was less than half and the pp tax dropped to $250 a year. When I bought my dodge, I just registered it with car tags. The stuff I tow is usually a 1 car trailer. I would like to have my trucks registered for the weight they can carry, but I don't think I should have to pay the same amount of money as someone who tows for a living. It seems like some of you out there can get your trucks registered for weight without spending a fortune.