Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Making a toy hauler?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
TAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a toy hauler?

Anyone ever convert an enclosed trailer to a camper that can tow a jeep? I wanted to get a camper and I still need to get my jeep to rides. I want to do it at the same time. Now it's, put the jeep on a trailer and pop a tent OR, take the kids camping w/out the jeep.

I found a couple on racing junk that were of interest. Looking between 30-40 footers. I know the bigger the trailer, the less I can outfit it due to weight my truck can tow. If it maxed out (including water and jeep) around 13K I'll be good.

Just looking for some leads on where/who has done this, pieces and parts to do it, recommendations etc...
Old 12-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look in my members photos and you can have both. PK
Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Look in the classifieds, RV section. Ready to go unit.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:37 AM
TAS

Originally Posted by P Kennedy
Look in my members photos and you can have both. PK

I've seen that type of set-up around before and thought about doing the same thing but, w/ 3 and sometimes 4 kids on the trip, I' need something w/ more interior space. With an enclosed, I can have flip down bunks for when the jeep's unloaded and more useable space.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 AM
TAS

Originally Posted by electrifried
Look in the classifieds, RV section. Ready to go unit.
I need bigger. I will however pass it along to fellow club members.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:19 AM

check out these links

I built one last year based on one I saw on Pirate 4x4...I am very happy with it. Mine is a converted 5th wheel camper as I have a family that likes to go and my wife likes RVing in general....I am helping a buddy convert a 40ft enclosed race trailer to a toyhauler/living quarters unit....I have way less into my unit than he has in his already...but his will be bombproof as it is all aluminum and diamond plate interior....we even pulled that theme into the bathroom and kitchen...total man trailer....my buddies always treated my tailer well...but the rv stuff is wimpy compared to aluminum walls and floors when mud and dirt come in from Atving 4 wheeling or shooting all day. Here are some links directly addressing your questions.
[/IMG]

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=146521

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=164379
Old 12-31-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by cruiserdar
I built one last year based on one I saw on Pirate 4x4...I am very happy with it. Mine is a converted 5th wheel camper as I have a family that likes to go and my wife likes RVing in general....I am helping a buddy convert a 40ft enclosed race trailer to a toyhauler/living quarters unit....I have way less into my unit than he has in his already...but his will be bombproof as it is all aluminum and diamond plate interior....we even pulled that theme into the bathroom and kitchen...total man trailer....my buddies always treated my tailer well...but the rv stuff is wimpy compared to aluminum walls and floors when mud and dirt come in from Atving 4 wheeling or shooting all day. Here are some links directly addressing your questions.
[/IMG]

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=146521

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=164379
Todd, this is what I was going to tell you about, just watch the tongue weight.