Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Toy Hauler suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toy Hauler suggestions please

We're moving up from our bumper pull 29' Thor Fury toy hauler to a gooseneck or fifth wheel that will accomodate a sandrail/desert car. We love the Fury, but it is a bit too much foo-foo for me. I like the looks of the checkerboard linoleum, but I have to scrub and mop after every trip. I like the dual electric queen bunks, but we've decided that everyone else can fend for themselves so we have more room and cargo capacity. We want something a bit more utilitarian (Millenium, Santek, especially leaning towards TPD since they are local) so I can pressure wash the cargo area. I could get by with an enclosed trailer and a mattress, but SHE NEEDS a shower/potty, heat and A/C or it's a no go.
What else should I keep in mind? Any good stuff to lean towards? Any bad stuff to stay away from?
Yes, unfortunately I will be lowering my truck back to stock or a leveling kit height, maybe even convert it to a dually to make it more compatible with a larger trailer.
As always, thank for the help/support/guidance!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using 37.5' raptor 5er

Took me nine months of looking to find something the wife and I could agree on. Not sure how long your sand rail is. I haul 3 big 4-wheelers, or 4 4-wheelers, 2 big 2 small. I also haul a volkswagon diesel beetle when we go to the city.(easier to get around in than the dually) Toy room on mine is 8' x 12'. I have had a cj-7 loaded in it. Had to remove back bumper for 2". The raptor is available with a Queen Bunk above the Toy room, in the main living quarters. Living area has a 16' slide, and the bedroom has a slide for a full size queen.

Does have Wood moldings, no plastic that shrinks or bows. Cost on my unit was under 40,000.00. I have had it over a year. Every one tells me to sell my house I'm never home anymore.

Unit has a 5500 onan gen, on board fulling station, pressure washer, Jump box. Well to make it easy Every thing I have at home/garage, that is easy to store.

Only complaint is that it needs bigger grey tanks. No problem with the black tank, or 100 gallon fresh tank. I actually ran a mister on my awning during Country Jam, 5 Day party outside of Grandjunction Co.

Looked at about 25 different toy haulers before we purchased this on. Prices running from 25k to 120k. Will get some snap shots and post on Monday.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We really like the Raptor trailers, but I need 15' minimum of cargo space.
The spousal unit has a pretty short list of requirements - heat, A/C, toilet, shower, some cooking facility.
We don't spend too much time in our trailer, we get 2-3 full weeks and 8-10 weekends a year while we are still working fools. So far, the TPD trailers we have looked at have been the best for our needs. 36' gooseneck with 21-22 feet of cargo. Kind of minimalist for amenities, but the lack of linoleum/carpet is a plus, there is NO wood in the trailer (the demo where they horse-kick the side of the trailer from the inside is impressive, even let you whack it if you want!), 102" wide width trailer with up to 98" ramp door opening, and you can design it from scratch so the windows/lights/cabinets/etc is endless.
More utility trailer with a few amenities added to satisfy mrs!
Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 AM

How about a cargo/race trailer with a nice room upfront. I looked at a ~40 3 axle mode with a 12 foot sleeping quarters, had a bathroom, kitchenette, and queen bed. The used one was about 1 or 2 years old and sold for about 25k. I will look for the brand name. It had over 20' of cargo space. They make a smaller model also.

Nick
Old 10-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Thanks Nick. All info will be beneficial in deciding on the next rig.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:40 PM

Local dealer here that sells them: some pictures on their site. http://tegtmeyertrailers.com/

You can see the different dealers there and link to their sites for more info. I was in there one day and they were talking to a customer about them. They like the car trailers with the living quarters better than the travel trailers with the garage space because the car trailers are stronger bodied trailers from the start. They can be made to any specification and have higher weight ratings.

Just my $0.02.

Trey
Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 PM

ive got an 04 kz sportster 33p fifth wheel for sell with generator for $25k